X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • magicvinny
    • Jul 2008

XTC center speaker

Hey,

I have a problem with my XTC speaker. Yesterday I was watching a movie with a lot of dialogue. Sometimes I could hardly understand what they were saying.

Is the SQ of this speaker really that bad??

The problem is in the XT series there is only one center speaker, the XTC.

Would it be OK to look at other center speakers from the CM-series or the 800-series?

My main speakers are the XT8 and the amp is Denon 3808.

Thanks
  • nergee
    • Nov 2009

I had a Denon 3808ci and Rotel RMB 1075 with my 604s3 and lcr600, and I absolutely HATED the sound. I had the same problem. The first movie I watched on bluray (Oppo bdp-83) I could not understand most of what was said coming out of the center. I sold the denon, got an Onkyo 806 paired with my Rotel, and problem solved.

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

I've sold a couple of XT Series theater systems and haven't had a problem with dialog so far so I think there may be something else going on. If you have the Audyssey on, try turning it off and see what happens. I know there are big fans of Audyssey on the forum (of which I'm not), but give it a try and see what you think. If it's off, what is the XTC's height? Any center channel that is too low can be hard to hear most of the time.
      Eric

Comment

• magicvinny
        • Jul 2008

Hey Eric,

Thank you for the reply.

Audyssey is turned off and the speaker is at about 46cm.
        I don't think there is much more I can do.

Live with it?

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

Other than turning it up a little relative to the rest of the system I'm not sure what else you can do without replacing the center channel or trying a better sounding receiver (or adding a better amplifier). I assume you have it angled upward with it's base if it's that low. If not, then give that a try. After that, I'm out of suggestions.

Eric

Comment

• Hammie
            • Oct 2005

I have a Denon 3808 paired with an Emotiva amp and have no problems with dialog. Granted, I am running an HTM3S center.

My question to you is whether you have calibrated your system with an SPL meter. They run about $50 at Radio Shack and can easily fix any abnormalities in your system. I have found that the Audyssey in the Denon 3808 always runs the center low and I need to bump it up about 4-6db to match the fronts.

I set everything to 80db and the sub to 83db. I just like it like that.
            Panasonic TC-P65VT30
            Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
            Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
            Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
            B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
            Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
            My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
            Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"