X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AwArEnEsS
    • Nov 2009

We ordered B&W 685,but...

I was having difficult time about choosing between Monitor Audio Siver Rx series and B&W 600 series.I chose B&W 600 series and we ordered B&W 685.I will use it as stereo,and will complete the 5.1 setup in the future.

I think I have to buy some other speakers of B&W 600 series in the future for compability in 5.1 setup,right?

We ordered the 685,but I am really sad,very gloomy.I continiously think if I did a wrong choice and I should have chosen MA Silver Rx2.These thoughts are eating me.I chose the 600 series cause I love the B&W brand(also have read some good reviews especially for 685,and a bit expensive ),but I have read a few expert reviews about MA Silver Rx series and they were praising those speakers.

My mother says,if I don't like the 685 speakers we can buy the other in next year(in last months of 2010) but it's a bit too long time for me to wait and also it's my mother's opinion not my father's(who has the cash)

If I chose MA,I would feel the same feelings,I would think I did a wrong choice cause I did not choose the brand I love and think that how I can love MA brand more.
    Last edited by AwArEnEsS; 26 December 2009, 18:09 Saturday.
    The universe arises from definitionless awareness.
  • KRC
    • Aug 2004

You will love the 600 series, it is just not the brand name but how they sound. Do not get hung up on articles, listen for yourself. I have the 600 series 3 speaker and used them for stereo l/r speakers replacing a pair of floorstanding Mirage speakers as they were that much better. The are presently my surround speakers for a 703 based system and sound great in that capacity.

Kevin

Comment

• dan87951
      • Nov 2005

Are these still fresh 685s? If so give them about 10 hours to start to work in and free up than they will start to sound better. I was very impressed with my 685's however I still prefer the 602's..
      dan87951
      audio guru

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Can't say I've ever her the MA, but I will swear up and down on the 600 series being such a great speaker for the price. My first pair of B&W speakers were 600 S3's. I own Nautilus 805's now. But even after my current setup, I liked them so much that I still bought a pair of 600 S3 again for my bedroom. I've bought some 600 speakers for my younger brother. They really are great speakers for the price. I always recommend them to people who are into quality sound.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• dknightd
          • Mar 2006

Have you heard both speakers? I have b&W, my brother has MA - we are both happy.

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
            • Nov 2009

dknightd,I have heard neither of them.

I have received the speaker today,and now I am opening the box of B&W 685,I am very excited

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
              • Nov 2009

The thing which I noticed firstly is,it is a lot bigger,deeper than I expected.I was thinking it will be a bit bigger than my computer speakers,but it is a lot bigger.I was a bit sad before I saw this,I was thinking that it is a compact speaker like my computer speakers,I was thinking that bookshelf speakers are as small as computer speakers.When I saw it a few minutes ago,I got very surprised.

It should give a lot bigger sound than my computer speakers,judging by their size differences.

Comment

• htsteve
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by AwArEnEsS
                The thing which I noticed firstly is,it is a lot bigger,deeper than I expected.I was thinking it will be a bit bigger than my computer speakers,but it is a lot bigger.I was a bit sad before I saw this,I was thinking that it is a compact speaker like my computer speakers,I was thinking that bookshelf speakers are as small as computer speakers.When I saw it a few minutes ago,I got very surprised.

It should give a lot bigger sound than my computer speakers,judging by their size differences.

Not surprised at all. The 600 series, even in bookshelf form, are very capable performers. I used to own 601's. These are definitely not like computer speakers (which I've had some good ones).

As was mentioned, give it a bit of time to break in and open up. They should improve a bit accross the board.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Well guys we may be in the process of "watching" an audiophile being created.

Enjoy you new stereo Awareness. When you are 40 you will look back on this moment many times and smile to yourself.

On the other hand if you are 40 its about time you stopped relying on your dads cash !!!!
                  Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                  Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
                    • Nov 2009

Briz Vegas lol

I am not sure if I will become an audiophile in the future,because if I can't feel the difference between 685 and my computer speakers I may give up my hifi hobby

Comment

• emig5m
                      • Aug 2008

You'll be nothing but amazed with what the 685 is capable of if you take the time to get the proper stands and dial in a good sweet spot with decent recording material. My father was never as impressed with the clarity of a sound system as he was when he heard my 685's (he never got a chance to hear my 683's or 804S's yet - he was just there when I was experimenting with using the 685's as stereo mains). His comments where- "Is the center channel playing?" (it wasn't - it was basic stereo) and "I have to admit, that's some pretty clean midrange". But just because they're great speakers doesn't mean you buy them and you're good to go. They still rely on the setup and source to work as a team to get the final result....

And also if you're using a PC as a source make sure to use a digital connection and try to keep from resampling (set output to 44.1KHz for CD-A) - try to keep it lossless to you're pre-amp/receiver. The less steps of sodomizing the signal, the better. Even if you have a higher end sound card I find that the digital inputs on lower end gear sound much better than analog ins.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

sodomizing the signal ???

Such a way with words emig5m 8O

..............and make sure you use decent speaker cable on those 685s.

I don't mean the fancy branded stuff for obsessive types (like me), just get some decent gauge new stuff off the reel. I say this because I used to believe that wires didn't make a difference, to the point of using 10 year old speaker wire that was going green (in a system that funnily enough had no body to the sound).
                        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
                          • Nov 2009

I haven't been able to listen to them yet,but now I am happy that I have joined to B&W family
                          I don't think much like "I should have bought the MA" in these days.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"