X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wildpanda86
    • Jul 2009

Upgrading to 683's questions

Thinking of upgrading my 602.5 S3's with matching center to the 683's with matching HTM61 center...

This will all by powered by a Rotel RSX-1550... & I have a Hsu sub for the low end & B&W in ceilings for the surrounds.

And this goes into a pretty big room/ studio loft with 12 foot tall ceilings open to dining room and kitchen on one side and 3 big windows on the other... I would guess around 900 sq ft is the room.

What difference in sound should I expect with the new vs old setup? Is it going to be pretty significant? Fuller? wider sound stage? increased clarity?

Trying to decide if I should just stick with what I have which I think sounds great or upgrade to the 683's... or just wait until I get into an actual house with a room dedicated to HT...
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

wildpanda86,

I used to have the 602.5 S3 (so I can speak from experience), and then had the 603 S3 and now have the 683. Next step for me will be to jump to the 804s although I have heard great things about the CM9.

For me the 602.5 was and is a great entry level speaker and hard to beat for the price. The 683, although still entry level, is definately going to be an improvement over the 602.5. First you are going to have a vastly superior mid-range driver in the FST (a nice trickle down from the 800 series). Because the midrange is better and dedicated (not doing bass) also will mean a clearer more concise sound stage. Secondly, the bass performace is going to blow away the 602.5 in every way. The 683 is definately a great performer for the price and would be my recommended B&W speaker for those looking for something in the higher end entry level. The next jump is to the CM9 which would be a significant price increase.

When helping my brother pick a speaker he narrowed it down to the 684 and the 683. The 683 was a little out of his price range, but he stretched because in back to back listening there was a noticeable improvement in midrange clarity and bass response. The 684 reminds me of what my 603 S3's sounded like and they were better then the 602.5s (in bass only). So I can imagine the 683 would be a marked improvement over what you have now.

That said, depending on your budget and what you listen to you may also want to look at the CM9s and the smaller 800 series speakers. Even if it is just for comparison.

BTW, what are you using to power them?

Stuart
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• wildpanda86
      • Jul 2009

thanks,

I'm using the Rotel RSX-1550, and I have a Hsu Research sub for the low frequencies...

But seems like you answered my questions, fuller sound, clarity, better sound stage...

Comment

• stuofsci02
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Sounds like you are good to go.. That reciever will work very nicely with the 683. I think you will really like the improvements the 683s will bring..
        Main System:
        B&W 801D
        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
        Oppo BDP-105
        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
        B&W CM7
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Emotiva UPA-2
        Oppo BDP-83SE
        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"