X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mannoiaj
    • Feb 2007

center

I would like to know anyone's feedback regarding a comparison of sorts of these four center channel speakers from B&W.

B&W CDM-CNT

B&W CDM-CSE

B&W HTM matrix center

B&W HTM7

I haven't heard any of them, but I would like to try a b&w center with the tweeter on top and I won't be able to listen before I buy. I have an application in which the width is a constraint as well as the cost. I also would like the tweeter on top design as that will put the tweeter a bit higher; this will be placed "close" to the floor in my setup.

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • IceG
    • Dec 2008

I used a Matrix HTM centre a few years (~10?) ago with Matrix 802S3 mains and Matrix 805 surrounds. Frankly the centre and surrounds couldn't keep up with the mains at high volume even with my surround processor (Meridian 565) sending the bass to the mains.

It was perfectly acceptable and worked/blended well with Matrix 805s at medium volumes.

I moved up to a Meridian digital active centre (DSP5000C) which is in a different league.

Not the comparison you were looking for I'm afraid but I reckon you could do a lot better these days. Any comparison probably depends on what your mains are and what your preferred volume is.

Comment

• mannoiaj
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by IceG
      I used a Matrix HTM centre a few years (~10?) ago with Matrix 802S3 mains and Matrix 805 surrounds. Frankly the centre and surrounds couldn't keep up with the mains at high volume even with my surround processor (Meridian 565) sending the bass to the mains.

It was perfectly acceptable and worked/blended well with Matrix 805s at medium volumes.

I moved up to a Meridian digital active centre (DSP5000C) which is in a different league.

Not the comparison you were looking for I'm afraid but I reckon you could do a lot better these days. Any comparison probably depends on what your mains are and what your preferred volume is.
      My mains are rocket rs450's. The center has to be less than 19" wide. I want some clean vocals. The matching center channel is way too wide that would timbre match my mains. I like b&w stuff, and have owned alot in the past. My thinking is to get a nice center channel for movies only in this application and possibly using it and purchasing the b&w mains that would match it down the road. For now, I really need a center channel as the family watches alot of movies in the living room and the off axis is hurting for voices. I like the b&w centers for this particular application as the tweeter would be raised a bit and that coupled with their height to begin with would really seem to "fit" my need without having to worry about too much tilt to aim it at the listeners. I'll be powering this center channel with 140 watt parasound amp. My budget for the center is $700 or less. Audiogon, Ebay, used, new, doesn't matter to me. Condition doesn't even really matter as it will be hidden.
      Oh, the volume I listen at varies anywhere from quiet to really loud... so I need something that can get outta bed now and then.

BTW, I had my mits on an htm2 but found out it was about a 1/4" too wide, so I have to compromise from that.

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks gentlemen and happy holidays.
      Jeff

Comment

• mannoiaj
        • Feb 2007

Nevermind, found a solution that will work.

Comment

• KRC
          • Aug 2004

Finding a solution or not, you cannot compare these four speakers as they are generations apart, it is like comparing 10 years of Porche 911's and asking which one is better, they were all great, but there is a reason each were replaced or upgraded. You need to compare an apple with an apple.

Kevin

Comment

• dan87951
            • Nov 2005

I'm a big fan of the CDM-CNT for the money. Its a great center channel for the price and has great imaging for the size. Its a rather bright sounding center (HTM7 is even brigher) but the level of detail and sound is great. I have seen them for sale for under $400. If you can spend a couple hundred more go for the HTM2. It does everything the CNT and HTM7 can but gives you that little extra those other leave you desiring!
            dan87951
            audio guru

Comment

• mannoiaj
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by dan87951
              I'm a big fan of the CDM-CNT for the money. Its a great center channel for the price and has great imaging for the size. Its a rather bright sounding center (HTM7 is even brigher) but the level of detail and sound is great. I have seen them for sale for under $400. If you can spend a couple hundred more go for the HTM2. It does everything the CNT and HTM7 can but gives you that little extra those other leave you desiring!
              Thank you very much. This is the type of information I am looking for. I originally had my sights on an htm2, but found that it is about 1/4 of an inch too wide for my specific application. I was left puzzled by the different generations of similarly designed centers that would all fit my size constraint. I don't have a dealer anywhere near me for B&W. I figured this would be the best place to ask questions.

Thanks again,
              Jeff

Comment

• mannoiaj
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by KRC
                Finding a solution or not, you cannot compare these four speakers as they are generations apart, it is like comparing 10 years of Porche 911's and asking which one is better, they were all great, but there is a reason each were replaced or upgraded. You need to compare an apple with an apple.

Kevin
                I understand what you are saying crystal clear. However, I never asked which one was "better." I asked simply for feedback regarding these models in my original post. If someone has heard all of them or a couple of them, they could offer me valuable information that I could use to help me towards making a more educated purchase. I have had b&w speakers that I have compared from different generations and I'm of the opinion it doesn't need to be an apple to an apple comparison. It isn't that simple in audio. Were not talking about fruit. I could offer strengths and weaknesses to different speakers that I have owned to someone from my point of view no problem, and they don't need to be of the same generation nor the same brand to do so. That was the intention of my post. Sorry if I didn't make that clearer.

Happy holidays,
                Jeff

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"