X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeBob
    • Dec 2009

Cabling recommendations

Could someone give me suggestions on the best speaker wire to run to 802d's from MC501's?

Also, what interconnects do you recommend from MX120 to the MC501s?

Thanks
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Nordost Odin. (you didn't give a budget)

I use Tyr interconnect and Frey speaker cable myself on the humble 804s.

Are you getting setup for the first time or are you tweeking?

I have played with alot of tweeks over the years (see system profile) and based on that experience I would install a dedicated power circuit for the hifi before working on anything else. I found great "bang for buck" with this humble wire in the walls(although I do not regret the other wires which sit at the other end of the $$ spectrum). As the guy on the Greek audiophile doco says "power is 50% of the sound, do you believe it, I believe it". He has a point.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Power Cord Home Depot
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

Forum Sponsor

Comment

• jamesdaman
          • Apr 2008

I just got my self a Chord company signature interconnect and the differnce is litteraly amazing. I use all chord stuff I use epic speaker cable a host of there other stuff and it makes a massive differnce in sound. Anyone telling you to spend a few £ or $ on cables are quite simply mental in my books. The system you have I'd go for signature speaker cable with the signature interconnects and maybe a few power chords to really boost things.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Guys - One thing we kinda control for the HT guide is the "what cable is best' threads as they usually get waaaaay out of control... We used to toally ban them...

I'll let this one go with the expectation that people limit themselves to personal experience as to cables they have found to suit B&W 802Ds or other 800 series B&Ws.. And that there is no personal criticism or suggestions that all cables sound the same or others are mad or whatever...

Merry Christmas

Geoff (yes your moderator!)

Comment

• jamesdaman
              • Apr 2008

Ok sorry for the out burst it just pains me when people say they are wortess when they are actualy really really good if you get the right ones

Comment

• dan87951
                • Nov 2005

B&W recommends impedance value of .2 ohms or less. Im not a big believer of expensive cable but any high quality cable that meets the above requirements will do! Good Luck!
                dan87951
                audio guru

Comment

• jamesdaman
                  • Apr 2008

Try the chord company cables and trust me you will see a massive differnce. Give them a go and if they make no differnce then fine but try them first you may be in for a massive surprise

Comment

• dan87951
                    • Nov 2005

LOL, "Massive" eh?

I have tried cables that have cost up to $5k and heard not a single difference what so ever! I also have minor in electrical engineering so all the hype I don't buy. Good Luck!
                    dan87951
                    audio guru

Comment

• pazu
                      • Nov 2009

Hi!

In my opinion, Kimber 8TC give a very massive difference with a low price. They've an excellent quality for their price.

Merry Christmas to all.

:T

Comment

• jericho
                        • Dec 2004

I use Siltech Signature

Comment

• Armbender
                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by pazu
                          Hi!

In my opinion, Kimber 8TC give a very massive difference with a low price. They've an excellent quality for their price.

Merry Christmas to all.

Agreed. Just bought mine last week for a good deal and really like them..
                          Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• jamesdaman
                            • Apr 2008

Well each to there own

Comment

• Relentless
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by dan87951
                              LOL, "Massive" eh?

I have tried cables that have cost up to $5k and heard not a single difference what so ever! I also have minor in electrical engineering so all the hype I don't buy. Good Luck!
                              but even by a scientific view could it be possible that a $5000 power cable shielded and configured in a way to reduce the THD(backed up by measurements) that is in the power line could have a audible difference?

Try a interconnect that has high capacitance measurements vs one with low measurements in a resolving system and I think every one will hear the change in the highs..... just my experience, and not trying to start an argument, just giving another view for the OP.

The best advice always in this situation is to start cheap with a cable that matches the required specs of the equipment and get a dealer to loan you some "fancy" cables and you be the judge if there is or is not an improvement and is it worth your money.
                              I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                              Lou

Comment

• Industrial
                                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by pazu
                                Hi!

Merry Christmas to all.

Same cable I'm using as well biwired, actually pretty much use all Kimber Kable (speaker cable, interconnects). I did hear a slight difference but this could be due to have too thin of a cable in the first place. But they sure look cool

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by dan87951
                                  LOL, "Massive" eh? I have tried cables that have cost up to $5k and heard not a single difference what so ever! I also have minor in electrical engineering so all the hype I don't buy. Good Luck!
                                  I could not agree more, but good quality wire make a difference I mean larger gage. I used Home Depot 12 AWG power cord and it works like a charm. A few years ago I was able to get 60 feet of 8TC from Kimber for $300 dealer cost (normally sold for $1380!!!) and I use that for my 802 D. Nice margins hey!:T
                                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Relentless
                                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by wettou
                                    I could not agree more, but good quality wire make a difference I mean larger gage. I used Home Depot 12 AWG power cord and it works like a charm. A few years ago I was able to get 60 feet of 8TC from Kimber for $300 dealer cost (normally sold for $1380!!!) and I use that for my 802 D. Nice margins hey!:T
                                    Home depot sells PC's or you just cut and terminated 12awg extension cords?
                                    I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                                    Lou

Comment

• jamesdaman
                                      • Apr 2008

Just try the chord company

Comment

• Lex
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Apr 2001

Ok, this has been explored, and it is written that threads for the express purpose of exploring every cable manufacturer known to man are expressly prohibited. End of thread.

James, recommending something twice is way over limit here.

This thread is now closed.
                                        Doug
                                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"