X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

802D and amplification

I am wondering if any one has tried to compare side by side 802 D with Classé CAM-400 vs CA-2200 and is it worth the upgrade?
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • Whacked!
    • Jun 2009

I had the chance to listen to both, but not during the same listening session and also at different dealers. Front end was the same, CP-500 and CDP-102. The best way to describe the 2200 session was "restrained". There were no real short commings in any particular part of the range, it just felt like the speakers were being held back. It was still very good but it didn't blow me away.

I commented on this to my dealer, he indicated that is a common complaint with the 802's. He normally did not have m400's hooked up to the 802's but did that day with the above electronics. To my ears, it was substantially better, wow factor definitely achieved as this set up absolutely blew me away. The speakers just opened up and showed their glory.

Worth it? Only you can decide for sure but the difference impressed the hell out me.

YMMV.

Norm

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

I haven't heard the two back to back on 802Ds but I have on 803Ds and the CA-M400s are noticeably better. As Norm pointed out, the CA-M400s are more effortless. The bass had better pitch definition and speed and the rest of the audio band was more open. By comparison the CA-M400s sounded like you were listening more to the music and less to the system. My customer was more than happy with the upgrade and didn't regret spending the money one bit.

To be honest, I was a little concerned the upgrade was going to be small and not knock his socks off. I was very surprised at the difference myself and with 802Ds I think you should give it serious consideration.

Eric

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
        I haven't heard the two back to back on 802Ds but I have on 803Ds and the CA-M400s are noticeably better. As Norm pointed out, the CA-M400s are more effortless. The bass had better pitch definition and speed and the rest of the audio band was more open. By comparison the CA-M400s sounded like you were listening more to the music and less to the system. My customer was more than happy with the upgrade and didn't regret spending the money one bit.

To be honest, I was a little concerned the upgrade was going to be small and not knock his socks off. I was very surprised at the difference myself and with 802Ds I think you should give it serious consideration.

Eric
        My other option is bi-amping or bridging with a CA-3200 ? Ideas?
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

I've not listened to a CA-2200 bridged but I'd upgrade to the CA-M400s before I'd bi-amp with CA-2200s. The CA-M400 is a fully balanced amp front to back and that has to contribute to it's sense of ease. The CA-M400 has the same two amps modules that the CA-2200 has but they are in a balanced configuration. You won't get that bi-amping with two CA-2200s.

Eric

Comment

• ShadowZA
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

I'm with hifiguymi on this one. My opinion would be to upgrade to the CA-M400s and get more power to feed the 802D's.

Here's something positive on the 802D's being driven by the CA-M400 mono's:

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by wettou
              I am wondering if any one has tried to compare side by side 802 D with Classé CAM-400 vs CA-2200 and is it worth the upgrade?
              Didn't you have the CAM 350s before? There is a pair for sale for a very low price on Audiogon right now.

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                Didn't you have the CAM 350s before? There is a pair for sale for a very low price on Audiogon right now.
                I have the CA-5200 so if I get CAM400 I have to buy three new amps where as if I get a CA-3200 I can either bi-amp or bridge it is also a lot less $$$$

Comment

• 1oldguy
                  • Dec 2008

Has anyone Tried using 2 Bryston 7B amps on 802D's,I can't imagine they would be wanting for more power than that.I have said gear but have never tried it.Curious if anyone has and with what result.
                  A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                    Has anyone Tried using 2 Bryston 7B amps on 802D's,I can't imagine they would be wanting for more power than that.I have said gear but have never tried it.Curious if anyone has and with what result.
                    I tried the Electrocompaniet Nemo 600W and it was amazing! Just I have heard that there are way too many issues with reliability!!

Comment

• 1oldguy
                      • Dec 2008

[QUOTE=wettou]I tried the Electrocompaniet Nemo 600W and it was amazing! Just I have heard that there are way too many issues with reliability!![/QUOTH

Hi.....Are your referring to Bryston amps?Assuming you used Bryston amps?If so may I ask which amp?Or the Speakers giving you the problems?Maybe if possible you could go into some detail about what gear you used and the problems you encountered?

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                        • Jun 2006

I have the CA-5200 so if I get CAM400 I have to buy three new amps where as if I get a CA-3200 I can either bi-amp or bridge it is also a lot less $$$$
                        Here, just steel these fro what he is asking and be done You can pick up a center channel amp later:

I'm sick of looking at them for that low price.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                          • Jun 2006

I used 7B ST's on N801's and S800's. Plenty of power, never a need for more. Same for Classe CAM 350's. Never ran out of steam.

I had a party one night and really pushed them, more than I had ever before but everyone was drinking and dancing. Still plenty of power for sustained 100+ DB use. Funny, my wife said "it wasn't that loud." They just never heard music loud without all of the distortion and harshness from horns in a club.

I didn't see that you already have the Brystons. Try them out, they are great and actually very simiar to the Classe amps. I compared them in my living room and the were more similar than different. I posted about this before.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                            • Dec 2008

I was curious if anyone used two 7B's on each speaker?Considering how B&W loves Power.

Comment

• JargonGR
                              • Feb 2009

I tried the Electrocompaniet Nemo 600W and it was amazing! Just I have heard that there are way too many issues with reliability!!

I am driving my 800Ds with two Nemos and I really like the result.

As for the Brystons aren't the 7BSSTs the same amps as those inside a 14BSST? I own a 14BSST that I use for my HTM1D but have never tried running my 800Ds with it...

Comment

• beden1
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Oct 2006

I love my CAM-350's powering my 803Ds, and would use them to power 802Ds if I ever get them, but, I don't think Wettou likes the looks of them.

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                                  I love my CAM-350's powering my 803Ds, and would use them to power 802Ds if I ever get them, but, I don't think Wettou likes the looks of them.
                                  You are correct I am not a big fan of the look of the CAM-350 I would rather keek the same look of the Delta Series

Very Industrial Looking :T

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                    • Dec 2008

[QUOTE=1oldguy]
                                    I tried the Electrocompaniet Nemo 600W and it was amazing! Just I have heard that there are way too many issues with reliability!![/QUOTH

Hi.....Are your referring to Bryston amps?Assuming you used Bryston amps?If so may I ask which amp?Or the Speakers giving you the problems?Maybe if possible you could go into some detail about what gear you used and the problems you encountered?
                                    Hi Wettou
                                    Just in case you missed the post.If you would be so kind I would love to know more about the problems and with what gear you encountered them with. ;x(

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                      • Jun 2006

[QUOTE=1oldguy]

Hi Wettou
                                      Just in case you missed the post.If you would be so kind I would love to know more about the problems and with what gear you encountered them with. ;x(
                                      Its definately not the Brystons. They are extremely reliable and mine actually always ran cool to the touch. These are the real deal and can handle pro installations and abuse.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                        • Dec 2008

Yes I would agree I have 5 of the 7BSST.Granted I only used 2 of them for 14 hours I do admit.
                                        But I am curious regarding the particulars and the nature of the ,"Problems Encountered".

Comment

• wettou
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • May 2006

[QUOTE=1oldguy]
                                          Hi Wettou Just in case you missed the post.If you would be so kind I would love to know more about the problems and with what gear you encountered them with. ;x(
                                          ElectroCompaniet very unreliable from what I heard from a person who worked for the distributor before Electro came on their own!

Comment

• SoCalCM
                                            • Oct 2007

I too have three 802Ds and seriously considering upgrading from my three year old Classe CA3200. I just read Kal Rubinson's review of the McIntosh 303 w/802Ds so that is something I hadn't considered before. Maybe that is the way to go.

With 3 speakers it is pretty much either monoblocks with their cost penalty, or a three channel amp and there just aren't a lot of them to choose from. Auditions are pretty much impossible as practically no dealer stocks them. Do the stereo versions really sound the same as the three channel versions?

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                              • Jun 2006

buy both pairs of the CAM350's on audiogon right now an dsell one of the amps.

Comment

• Relentless
                                                • Jul 2007

I have read this here several times and it makes perfect sense why Bi-amping is a waste. With two identical amps, one driving the top end and the other driving the bass drivers, the amp driving the bass woofers will bottom out and you will only be using a fraction of the power in the mids and highs amp. Of coarse that would be in instances when you are really pushing the system. You would be better off getting a higher power amp than Bi-Amping in my opinion. Less speaker, interconnects and power cables also..... on the other hand assuming you are using A/B amps, the amp driving the highs would stay in class A for longer.
                                                I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                                                Lou

Comment

• wettou
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Relentless
                                                  I have read this here several times and it makes perfect sense why Bi-amping is a waste. With two identical amps, one driving the top end and the other driving the bass drivers, the amp driving the bass woofers will bottom out and you will only be using a fraction of the power in the mids and highs amp. Of coarse that would be in instances when you are really pushing the system. You would be better off getting a higher power amp than Bi-Amping in my opinion. Less speaker, interconnects and power cables also..... on the other hand assuming you are using A/B amps, the amp driving the highs would stay in class A for longer.
                                                  Yes I agree one high powered mono block is the best, but what happens if you already have an amp and want more power would bridging be best!

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                    • Dec 2008

As an upgrade for those with B&W speakers,I have seen the Brass version that some have used instead if the Plastic nose cone,Curious if those who have done so could comment on the performance after trying this.

Comment

• wettou
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • May 2006

As an upgrade for those with B&W speakers,I have seen the Brass version that some have used instead if the Plastic nose cone,Curious if those who have done so could comment on the performance after trying this.
                                                      Yes I am not sure it improves the performance but they look cool, I have replaced it with the black metal one

Comment

• Relentless
                                                        • Jul 2007

I have read many posts a while back where people state they hear a difference between the plastic phase plug vs the metal one. I just switched them out without comparing them so I can not comment, but it only takes a few seconds to do it.
                                                        I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                                                        Lou

Comment

• wettou
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • May 2006

I have read many posts a while back where people state they hear a difference between the plastic phase plug vs the metal one.
                                                          I don't think it makes any difference!!

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                            • Jun 2006

I have read many posts a while back where people state they hear a difference between the plastic phase plug vs the metal one. I just switched them out without comparing them so I can not comment, but it only takes a few seconds to do it.
                                                            My S800's had custom made ebony plugs. They sat in a box the entire time that I owned them because I liked the grills on. They also had all sorts of vodoo all over them that it took me hours to remove. Little magic magnets and aluminum do-hickeys all over the place. Seller never told me about them. He may have put a curse on me if I had asked. After all of the crap was removed they were really nice.

Comment

Working...
                                                            😀
                                                            😂
                                                            🥰
                                                            😘
                                                            🤢
                                                            😎
                                                            😞
                                                            😡
                                                            👍
                                                            👎
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"