X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Nautilus HTM2D? Yep.

I sold my NHTM1 about a year ago. Over the past year I have missed it more and more.

Ive been keeping an eye out for possibly another. Well in my search I came across an HTM2D that had previously had the diamond tweeter broken. This wasnt an issue to me as I have N802s. I dont care for the $1000 diamond tweeter, even more so that it wouldnt match my 802s. The enclosure isnt perfect, however I have seen much worse. That is fine though, because I have another set of speakers that are all piano black that will need some work and I am thinking I may eventually do this one up all piano black too. 8)

What I did have laying around for some time is an extra Nautilus tweeter, tweeter housing, with aluminum plug and even a grill.

This seamed perfect, maybe I could swap my extra 802 tweeter assembly on this and enjoy the newer, bigger HTM2d and enjoy the sweet bigger rohacell woofers.

I was able to pick this up for about the same current price of NHTM1s give or take $100.

I took some pics (most poor as I was more focused on figuring out how to use the N tweeter)

Some notes,
    The D tweeter is bigger, the housing is bigger and longer. But not much. The D housing is bolted to the cabinet, a much better design than snapped in like the N housing.

The phase plug for the Kevlar mid is solid aluminum on the D, vs plastic like the NHTM1 and N802s.

I was able to slide off the wire connector from the N housing and bolt down tweeter housing using the original bolt and larger washer. I will modify the wire connector so I can drill a hole through that to use a bit longer bolt, but for now its plenty secure.

Here is the empty cabinet with the Nautilus tweeter housing already attached.

The LF crossover behind the right woofer.

The MF/HF crossover behind the kevlar driver.

Empty cabinet behind the left woofer

Rohacell woofers

Rohacell 7" woofer compared to Nautilus 802 8" woofer.

Kevlar mid

Mid threaded "screw" that secures it to the cabinet.

Was the broken Diamond tweeter, was modified to fit some other brand tweeter by the previous owner.

D tweeter housing, may sell it to recoupe some of my money.

Here it is all ready to try out. 8)

Right now I am enjoying the Matrix on BR. I must say so far I am quite pleased with the center, especially since the going rate for these used are about double what I will have into it. And I get to match my N802 tweeters. If one was really fussy id get a NHTM1 MF/HF crossover, but I think this may do for now.
    B&W
  • dan87951
    • Nov 2005

I saw that on ebay as well. I passed on it since the replacement diamond tweeter is so much money and by the time you pay for the new tweeter you could have gottten a used one for the same price. That diamond tweeter is what makes them so expensive on the used market. Looks like nice, glad to see it came together well for you.
    dan87951
    audio guru

Comment

• boarder1995
      • Sep 2009

Nice re-work. Saw that unit too - good find for your needs.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Yea, thats what I told him, most wouldnt want it because of that diamond tweeter is so damn expensive. We worked out a deal.
        Last edited by Race Car Driver; 15 June 2010, 21:19 Tuesday.
        B&W

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Wow! Fantastic, RCD! :T

Comment

• 1oldguy
            • Dec 2008

Very nice Job
            A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

how does it sound?
              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

It sounds amazing! I am a happy camper. I wish I still had my HTM1 to compare it to, but id say the output from the larger Rohacells and ports help quite a bit for the movie experience.

Right now the whole system is in a "temporary" mode. I rearranged my room a few weeks back. I moved my TV from one wall to another. Before I went to mount it I found the AC wiring for outlet, light switch, and can light go straight across the wall and right up the stud I was planning on mounting my TV. So I am waiting to find a entertainment stand that I can mount my TV to instead of the wall and place the center right below it on the stand. I my eye on a few, I just need to make sure they will play nice with a 65" plasma.

I have also been running "subless" for the last month or so. I must say, I am very impressed with the output of these 3 for watching movies. The rearrangement one of the 802s right in a corner though, so thats why.

I rearranged the room to make it more "open". Sectional is too big and this opened up the room more, however the system got downsized. I went from 7.1 + front presence speakers to a 5.0 (waiting on getting a smaller 10" sub to play nice with the aesthetics)

I hope to track down some amps again for the front three after January. Its always a game, buy, sell, buy, sell, buy, sell... :lol:
                Last edited by Race Car Driver; 17 December 2009, 11:11 Thursday.
                B&W

Comment

• gross30
                  • Jun 2005

Nice job Race Car, and good score. It's always nice to see someone get a great deal every now and then. Great work.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"