X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oddiophile
    • Jul 2008

B&W 800D break-in time

Hi,

I finally have my pair of 800Ds operational. How long of a break-in time do I need for these?

Thanks in advance.

Jim
  • crytklmass
    • Dec 2008

There tested at B&W before they ship. I think break in time is a myth. No one can seem to give a REAL statement as to why or how much time is needed. Just like buying a new car. Have you seen how they drive them on the lot "loading them on the trucks" I've seen them racing each other. I'm not saying push them super loud, but play at whatever level you want. They have a 5 year warranty for a reason. Just don't abuse them.
    BOB

Comment

• Skyblue
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Oddiophile
      Hi,

I finally have my pair of 800Ds operational. How long of a break-in time do I need for these?

Thanks in advance.

Jim
      I seem to recall that B&W specified they have a 15 hour break in time...

As for whether breakin time is real or not, I have a Ayre QB-9 Dac. It changed its sonic signature a lot the first 50 hours, and only stabilized completely after 300 hours... Maybe its psychosomatic, but it sure seemed real to me.
      B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Antus
        • Apr 2008

the capacitor need some time to work their best. the rubber surround need some time to loosen up. i'd say 10 to 50 hours after initial usage will sound better.

the degree of difference is quite small in my experience. there are difference, just not night and day differences.

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

In my experience it's about 50 to 100 hours before the tweeter really settles in and the bass is not stiff and thin. The biggest changes to happen in the first 15 to 20 hours though.

Eric

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

I've always felt that break-in was more associated to the listener getting used to the sound more than the equipment changing.
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

There are certainly differing opinions on the topic, but being a dealer I've heard gear that has been broken in and compared them to units that are fresh out of the box. There is a difference in my experience.

With speakers, the drivers suspensions have to loosen up. Bass is typically thiner and much more dry when speakers are new. Tweeters are usually brighter and don't integrate with the midrange as well when new.

With electronics, it can vary from model to model as to what changes take place but they do change.

Eric

Comment

• Skyblue
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                There are certainly differing opinions on the topic, but being a dealer I've heard gear that has been broken in and compared them to units that are fresh out of the box. There is a difference in my experience.

With speakers, the drivers suspensions have to loosen up. Bass is typically thiner and much more dry when speakers are new. Tweeters are usually brighter and don't integrate with the midrange as well when new.

With electronics, it can vary from model to model as to what changes take place but they do change.

Eric
                Being a noob I unforetunately havent had the ooportunity to compare a new to a broken in unit. But obvisouly thats the test.. If there is an audible differnce, then its there.. My ayre sure did change a lot. But whether its my mind or not I wouldn't know..
                B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• emig5m
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by sikoniko
                  I've always felt that break-in was more associated to the listener getting used to the sound more than the equipment changing.
                  Well I started out with a well broken in demo pair of 683's and wound up taking them back to buy brand new and I could definitely tell the difference. The demo pair sounded better at the time, lol. So I think it is true about break in for speakers.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"