X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cdub
    • Aug 2003

Thanks Jon!!

Last weekend I had the rare opportunity to spend the day with our resident grand wizard of speaker design, Jon Hancock. Jon was gracious enough to offer his expertise and experience to help my brother and I assemble some Usher 2 ways in PE prefabricated enclosures, based on Dennis Murphy's design.

Being of limited woodworking skill, I watched Jon get to work on the cabinets early in the morning while picking up as many pointers as possible. Progress probably could have been a bit faster, but I was picking Jon's brain about everything I could think of along the way.

Around lunch time we took a break, and my brother and I were in for a real treat! We were able to audition Jon's M8a's. My brother and I were left speechless. They are everything everyone who has heard them says, and then some. The quality my brother and I were most impressed with was the way they were able to play at a high volume, but still sound effortless and unstrained. They enveloped you in the music, and are a speaker you could listen to all day and never get fatigued.

After the break, we finished up the woodwork, and came upstairs to finish off the cabinets. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to complete the project, but Jon was generous enough to offer his help with finishing the speakers. Most important my brother and I got one more good listen to the M8a's before we left. We auditioned the Police SACD. WOW! Enough said.

As for the Usher's, when they are completed maybe Jon can be coaxed into giving his opinion on them and how they compare to the 2 ways he designed for his daughter earlier in the year.

I just wanted to let everyone know how lucky we are at HTguide to have Jon as a resource of information. Jon was very unselfish to give up his valuable free time, away from his own projects, to help a newbie with some basic speaker construction. The whole day he answered my many questions, and at the end of the day I came away with much more knowlege than at the begining which is the most important thing.

Thanks again Jon,
    Chris
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Chris, you're very welcome!

I enjoyed working with you and Nick, and it's fun to get to play with something for a change that I didn't have to spring the cash for!

I'm building the crossovers now, (well, not this minute- I'm in the office), the weekend was hectic, spent about 3/4 working on company stuff- just got to play with a bit of the speaker stuff Sunday afternoon.

I'm going to see if I can sweet talk my daughter into borrowing her speakers back when I get yours finished, so I can do some comparative listening. Based on the LF alignments, I expect hers go a little deeper in the lower end, but then they're less efficient overall- that's part of the tradeoff.

The interesting point will be comparing the midrange and treble performance- the D6 is somewhat smoother (in the raw state), and doesn't need an LCR zobel to tame a bump, and I don't really know how the XT25 and Usher tweeter will compare- but you've heard the XT25 in the M8's, though not with the same crossover. In her speakers, they're crossed over about 2.2 kHz, and with a somewhat unconventional series topology (hey, even I like to experiment now and then...)

The driver panel layout is quite a bit different, the one for her speaker being optimized using BDS prior to construction.

It will be fun to check out.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Wow spending a day with Jon would be awesome and I must agree with your views on the M8a...I love mine dearly.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Some day I'd like to spend a day with me, without any daytime job stuff along for the ride!

Just got back from Montreal the middle of this week, turning around and heading for the headquarters in Austria and Germany this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to check up on you guys occasionally while I'm gone, but I'm not sure about that- dial up access in Villach Austria is pretty iffy! I'll be back late Thanksgiving Eve (is that an official day? Hmmm, probably not... :roll: )

Gotta find some time to do some speaker stuff! Including finishing Chris's! Yikes! :E

~Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"