X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gross30
    • Jun 2005

805s for rears

I am considering replacing my older Monitor Audio S9i's that I am using for a set of rear speakers, with a new set of 805s. They will match the 800's very well. (rosenut). My question is, will they provide enough as rears, or would I need a floor stander (804s,803s) etc. They will be powered by the Krell 250a3. Any info, or if someone is using the 805s's as rears, please share the experience. Thanks
  • Oddiophile
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by gross30
    I am considering replacing my older Monitor Audio S9i's that I am using for a set of rear speakers, with a new set of 805s. They will match the 800's very well. (rosenut). My question is, will they provide enough as rears, or would I need a floor stander (804s,803s) etc. They will be powered by the Krell 250a3. Any info, or if someone is using the 805s's as rears, please share the experience. Thanks
    I am assuming that you are talking about a 7.1 system.

I use a pair of 805s with 800Ds, 802Ds and HTM1D for the rest of the channels. To my mind the rear channels are the least important. For surround channels the sides are much more important because humans are far more sensitive to lateral reflections. In my system they do just fine for both movies and music, so I am sure they would be more than adequate for your system.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Comment

• Skyblue
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Oddiophile
      I am assuming that you are talking about a 7.1 system.

I use a pair of 805s with 800Ds, 802Ds and HTM1D for the rest of the channels. To my mind the rear channels are the least important. For surround channels the sides are much more important because humans are far more sensitive to lateral reflections. In my system they do just fine for both movies and music, so I am sure they would be more than adequate for your system.

Hope this helps.

Jim
      Sounds like a great system. May I ask, what electronics you use to power it? I had something similar in mind, albeit I'll start with a 4.0 system.
      B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

gross30,

I've found that the more system synergy you can bring about, the better overall system performance. Having all the speakers the same manufacturer is a very good place to start. I believe this is quite critical actually. The system tonality will be much tighter. And then having all those speakers from the same line (800 series) is even better.

As to towers vs. bookshelf, that is a great question. I had bookshelf speakers as rears for years. Worked very well. Then I got 802D's and the HTM2D up front. I moved my then N804's to the rear. Wow, what a HUGE sounding system. With the advent of the HD audio formats on Blu Ray, the clarity and dynamics of all channels, including the rears, has improved. So my vote is for towers as rears if the budget allows. You definitely have the amps to drive rear towers as well.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• jamesdaman
          • Apr 2008

I've got some 805s and I've got 3 vm1's laying around do you recon I couldput this together and it would work??? Plus what kind of amp should I use without going mad???

Comment

• KyaDawn
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by gross30
            I think so much depends on the size of your room and also the placement of the speakers away from the listening position. I have 805Ss paired with my 802Ds and it sounds fantastic. Keep in mind, however, that my room is relatively small and as you can see from my icon photo, the 805Ss were pretty much the only choice I had from the 800 series for rears. Possibly, I could have chosen the 804Ss, but then the woofers would have fired directly into the sofa! :B

Still, I think the 805S sounds excellent as rears and I listen to all types of multi-channel music from SACDs, DVD-As, and even CDs using Dolby Pro-Logic II, as well as watch a lot of movies.

If you think the 805 might be for you, I would, however, wait until the 805D comes out and see if you might like that better. Definitely with the diamond tweeter they should match better timbre-wise with your 800Ds than the 805S, though by exactly how much we won't know until it comes out.

Comment

• gross30
              • Jun 2005

The room size is 18" by 22'. I am just in the process of turning the old "sunroom" into my new ht room. They are laying new carpet and blinds next week, paint, lighting, and electrical are all done, then the trim goes in, then the work starts...lolol. I have an option to replace the rears with the 805s and the center with a HTM3s. With the seating I don't want the speakers firing into back or side of the couch as well. Kyadawn, the 800's are the Nautilus line, not the diamonds, and the new center and rears would match excellent. All speakers would be rosenut. The mains are powered by the big Mac's and the center and rears are powered by Krell, and I still have the older Classe mono's gathering dust if needed. Also the floor is concrete as opposed to a crawl space under the current setup. I think it will be an improvement in sound with the 2 DD 15's in the room as well. The current room is just very cramped with the big gear, and now I think going into a great room size wise and layout will be that much better. I will even have a dedicated stand for my turntable, and for my Teac reel to reel, which I have been drooling over to get into the system, but just haven't had the room. Should be a busy week before x-mas....lolol

Comment

• boarder1995
                • Sep 2009

Lots of changes going on there. I'm in the same boat, except will only run 5.1, and my rear/sides I'm considering are also the 804S or 805S, so a bit more critical than the extra 6 & 7 channel rear surrounds. They're the same price for me (new 805S + stands discounted or 3 month old 804S locally), so I'll likely go with the used 804S, just from this discussion. Plus more of the rosewood color in the room will look great. Lovin' my new setup too.

Comment

• htsteve
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

gross30,

Excellent that you are creating a dedicated HT room. You have a good plan. I built an HT room in my basement about 1 1/2 years ago. Well worth the effort.

A couple of thoughts:

* You mention blinds. Are these curtains made out of fabric or are they metal/plastic blinds. the fabric ones will work better acoustically in the room.

* Do you have a dedicated 20 amp circuit into the room? I had one initially. I just added a second one. Now amps and projector are on one and the sub and sources are on the other. I was surprised in that the dynamics improved a bit by doing this. You have quite a few high current amps (Mac's, Krell and DD15's), so you might want to consider this at this stage rather than later.

* Are you planning any acoustic treatments?

Hope this helps. You will definitely enjoy once it's done. Post some pictures.

boarder1995,

Defintely grab the 804S's. They are great are rear speakers.

Comment

• gross30
                    • Jun 2005

Here is a pic of the room that will transform to the new ht room,

And a shot of the old cramped room....lolol

Comment

• htsteve
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

The new room will be quite nice. And the HTM3S plus 805's or 804's will bring about excellent system performance.

Are you considering a projector at some point in the new room?

PS I do love those blue wattmeters......

Comment

• gross30
                        • Jun 2005

I am considering a projector in the future, the ceilings are 9', so lots of room there for a drop down. The Aquos 65" se is only a year old, so I will have to use it for some time yet. It has a beautiful pic quality etc. I am really leaning towards the 805's. Along with quality, the look of the mains and center and rears all in Rosenut just sets it off. The only thing black will be the 2 subs. Oh well. Placement of the subs will be trial and error also.
                        And the big blue meters are awesome. These mono's have the new led kit in them, and the 1.2kw handles as well. They are beasts, but man can they perform...woohooo

Comment

• gross30
                          • Jun 2005

Update; finally got everything moved, and I went with the 803s for the rears and the HTM3s for the center. Here are a few pics in order for the big move.....

From start to finish it was very time consuming, but well worth it. I still have to do some cable management, but for the most part at least it is set up. And I finally was able to set up the Teac x2000 r2r, and my Clearaudio tt at last. Played the Eagles Hotel California on vinyl and man, after about 15 years, it does sound good.
                          And in case anyones wondering, the black chair signifies the sweet listening spot.....lolol.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"