X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hectic1
    • Dec 2002

Rotel 1066 popping

I bought a 1066 a couple of weeks ago and noticed today that I have a popping coming from all of my speakers about every 3 seconds. I turned to volume all the way off and the popping is still there. I put my hand on the edge of the woofer on my SVS and you can feel the speaker move when popping! I purchased my Rotel from a dealer in California when I was out there on business so I don't have a dealer in the area that would take it back. Is this a firmware issue or something that the 1066 exibits?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Which firmware are you using? (Press and hold Mute till it displays the firmware)

What gear do you have plugged into the 1066? If you have several items maybe unplug them all and see what happens...then plug in one thing at a time and see if that changes anything...maybe its some interaction between the 1066 and some device you're plugging in....which amps are you running? Try swapping amps or cables...can you borrow another pre amp or receiver with pre outs to see if that changes anything? (you could always "buy" a cheap receiver from best buy and see what happens when its used as a pre amp then "return" it before the 30 days are up)

Comment

• hectic1
      • Dec 2002

Thanks for the advice Andrew, unfortunately I have tried all of those things. I talked to the dealer that I purchased it from and he thinks on of the processing boards is bad. It has Version 2.1 firmware and has the updated 200mhz video switching. He was going to contact Rotel and get a RA number for me. I will keep you updated on to the process of getting this figured out. :?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Good luck Bob. Keep us informed of what happens

Comment

• jcbruck
          • Feb 2003

After searching the archives I noticed a few individuals complained of a popping sound when performing certain functions within the 1066, i.e. OSD navigation’s, but there wasn’t any resolution indicated. Well now I have the same problem. It started today when I decided to setup a 7.1 configuration by connecting an old Adcom GFA-545 to drive the two center-back channels.

It happens each time I pause the DVD player, re-start it, and then wait for the 1066 to lock-in on the DTS-ES or DD-EX flag (I’m not an audiophile like many of you, but I think this is what happens). It's also apparent when navigating the OSD; for example in speaker set-up. When I turn-off the Adcom no popping is heard what so ever. I checked to see if the 12V-trigger switch was turned to the off position and it was.

It's not a huge issue, but perhaps someone has a recommendation, fix, or work-around in lieu of powering down the Adcom and not using the back channels :cry: . I've been running V2.24 for approx. one month with no problems until today.

Thanks for listening!

Comment

• JP
            • Feb 2003

I received my unit about 2 weeks ago, and I have that annoying 'pop' too. It is sooo annoying! I have the latest 2.22 (or whatever) rev. I have contacted Rotel support and they are in the process of getting back to me, but the biggest issue is that it is coming from the sub the most, so I get a really loud low level pop. It sucks! hopefully it can be fixed!

my equipment:

RSP1066
            RMB1075

JBL THX SPEAKERS AND SUB.

JP

Comment

• jcbruck
              • Feb 2003

JP: Sounds like this popping noise isn't an isolated issue! I'd be very interested to hear what Rotels response will be........can you update us when that happens?

Last night my wife & I watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" for the first time (very funny BTW; reminded me a lot of my big fat Italian family), and since it contained a DD-EX track, I turned-on the amp for 7.1........POP! POP! Again, not the end of the world, but it's very annoying.

TIA JP!

-John in Colorado

Comment

• JP
                • Feb 2003

i guess so, as soon as i hear from Rotel I will post to let you know!

Comment

• justin
                  • Feb 2003

Is it possible the rsx 1055 could have that same popping?

Jus

Taking it one day at a time. Life moves quick.
                  Jus

Taking it one day at a time. Life moves quick.

Comment

• SaNdOkAn
                    • Jul 2002

Well actually my Sub is also poppin.

Dunno if it also pops when my 1066 is turned off. JP does your sub only pop when the 1066 is turned on or does it also pop when it is turned off??

Keep us informed please.

Sando

Comment

• Legairre
                      • Jan 2002

Looks like some of you have the same problem as I do. Check this out.

Mine also makes a low pop when navigating the menus

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                      Radden Home Theater
                      Radden Home Theater

Comment

• JP
                        • Feb 2003

so I haven't responded-been soo bust this week. my unit pops ALL the time. changing sources, changing processing (is DTS to Dolby to prologic II) turning it off, and changinf settings in the processors menu. and Rotel still hasn't gotten back to me!!

jp

Comment

• Legairre
                          • Jan 2002

Whenever I have a problewm I contact Tim Wyatt. He's always returned my emails very quickly. I think his title is Technical Support Superviser.

twyatt@equityaudio.com

Radden Home Theater
                          Radden Home Theater

Comment

• SaNdOkAn
                            • Jul 2002

Well i noticed that my sub also pops even when the 1066 is turned. So i wonder if the prob lies with the 1066 or the internal amp of the sub??

Sando

Comment

• dsmith
                              • Jan 2003

Wow, this is interesting. A similar noise from the Outlaw 950 is what made me get rid of it. I think this is a not uncommon problem with digital processors, worse with some than others. Even the Bryston SP-1 made a small tic when I switched digital formats. My Citation 7.0 on the other hand, is perfectly quiet at all times. It it is an analog processor and contains no DACs, but I think its silence is more a matter of superior overall quality. HT processing is currently done with a H/K AVR520, which is also perfectly quiet - now; but it made the same noises until I replaced my Chiro amp with the Innersound.s In fact, since adding the two Innersound amps to my system everything is now suddenly become utterly silent. So it is possible that switching amps may help. On the other hand, it may just be a design or implementation problem as you guys mentioned. But my noise problem with the H/K went away when I changed amps, so you may want to try it also. I recommend checking your connections closely also - a bad cable can sometimes cause this also.

Don

Comment

• martin
                                • Jan 2003

I hear the same popping sound too, (1075 and 1066).
                                when I select something, I hear A low popping noise on my speakers.
                                So it is A common problem of the 1066!!

My HT Homepage
                                My HT Homepage

Comment

• Zyzio
                                  • Feb 2003

yes, that's common problem. I've a little popping,too, when changing sources, surround programms, menu setup. I'm using RSP 1066 with Primare A 30.5 amp and Paradigm Studio Speakers.
                                  But when my system is hot, after 2 hours listening, popping is very very quiet. Ilike my system very much and I don't care about it
                                  I enjoy great cristal-clear sonud !

Comment

• JP
                                    • Feb 2003

Tim from Rotel is the rep that is helping me

I emailed him again on Friday, he said he was out of the office and would get back to today (monday) he's a great guy, I just want a resolution to the problem

Last night i was listening to cd's, and whenever I stop a CD it pops! no offense, but that is insane!!! that should NOT happen.

Comment

• Legairre
                                      • Jan 2002

Hey Guys,
                                      At first I thought my poping during menu navigation was fixed by some new cables. After playing around a bit tonight I noticed that all my poping is coming from the subs. Each time I change a setting on a menu the popping is not coming from my front speakers like I thought it was. It's ONLY coming from my subs. My 1066 also pops LOUD when I turn the 1066 ON/OFF, so my sub out has a problem.

Can some of you check and listen to whether your popping is coming from your mains or the sub?

Thanks

Radden Home Theater
                                      Radden Home Theater

Comment

• jcbruck
                                        • Feb 2003

Legairre, I double checked the popping sound and determined that it's isolated to the center back channels and sub only when the Adcom (driving the CB's ) is powered-up and 7.1 selected in the OSD setup. Tim Wyatt responded today via email and indicated that he was checking into it and that he should have something in a day or so.

Comment

• martin
                                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by jcbruck
                                          Tim Wyatt responded today via email and indicated that he was checking into it and that he should have something in a day or so.
                                          Any news about the popping noise???

My HT Homepage
                                          My HT Homepage

Comment

• Legairre
                                            • Jan 2002

jcbruck,
                                            Thanks for giving it a check. Maybe we have something in common with the sub out.

Anyone else having pops from their sub out or center back speakers?

Radden Home Theater
                                            Radden Home Theater

Comment

• sounddog
                                              • Feb 2003

Yeah we get popping too ... mostly out the rear centre but on other channels too - mainly the fronts (we havn't got a sub).

We're not sure ... but think it started when we upgraded to v2.24.

(Oh ... we're in the UK ... so it's a global problem)

Comment

• jcbruck
                                                • Feb 2003

Originally posted by martin
                                                As of 10:00 PM MST Thursday, not a word from Tim. I'm sure he's doing everything he can to figure this one out; hopefully we'll hear something by tomorrow.

Comment

• martin
                                                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by jcbruck
                                                  Originally posted by martin
                                                  As of 10:00 PM MST Thursday, not a word from Tim. I'm sure he's doing everything he can to figure this one out; hopefully we'll hear something by tomorrow.
                                                  Oke, we still waiting I think that is something in the digital circuit ??

My HT Homepage
                                                  My HT Homepage

Comment

• JP
                                                    • Feb 2003

I get the popping from my sub, as posted previously. Tim is indeed working hard to get a resolution.

Comment

• briandx
                                                      • Mar 2003

I'm getting a bit concerned here, what with my 1066 on order for delivery next week. Does this thread imply that a majority of 1066 owners above a certain firmware are getting a consistent popping noise in random channels while music and movies are playing?

Has Tim implied that this IS a major problem with multiple units? Perhaps I should cancel my order...

Brian.

Comment

• martin
                                                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by JP
                                                        I get the popping from my sub, as posted previously. Tim is indeed working hard to get a resolution.
                                                        The popping noise come from all speakers, when you good listen.
                                                        Every time when the digital signal cuts off you hear a low popping noise, as layer change by DVD or switching DSP and track change by CD....Ill hope for A solution, because for that kina money Ill paid fore.

My HT Homepage
                                                        My HT Homepage

Comment

• Ron Reda
                                                          • Jan 2003

My 1066 pops too, but only on DVD layer changes and when I change channels using my DirecTV receiver. It's like it loses the signal from one station, pops and then locks onto the new one. Yeah, it's somewhat annoying, but by no means am I returning this bad boy!!! A firmware fix would be nice though... BTW, I'm running the 2.25 beta firmware.

Comment

• JP
                                                            • Feb 2003

OK, I wanted to post a follow up on this whole situation!

I have been speaking with Tim from Rotel on almost a weekly basis. I actually live within an hour of their offices in MA. So I invited Tim over the house to take a listen and get his opinion. To start, let me explain how I have always set up my HT systems, and how Tim recommended I proceed. First my equipment:

RSP 1066 (of course)
                                                            RMB 1075 Rotel 5 ch amp
                                                            JBL HT4V speakers (x2) front and rear
                                                            JBL HT4H center speaker
                                                            JBL HTPS400 THX cert Sub

Now, This JBL sub has a 'normal' and a 'THX' switch. (No spkr level inputs.) Normal mode allows the sub to set gain and crossover. The THX mode disengages the internal gain & crossover, and all options are controlled from the processor. I prefer to use the THX mode (even though the 1066 is not THX cert) because it allows me to 'see' the exact crossover point that is being fed to the sub. (I personally like the 80Hz setting) Now, if I set the sub to this THX mode, the 'popping' sound comes through constantly when switching sources and changing processing schemes. (Dolby/DTS) In this scenario, the sub is on THX, the crossover on the 1066 is set to 80, and test tone output I believe was around the 0 range. Under these circumstances, NOTHING I do eliminates or is able to diminish the audible pop from the sub.
                                                            If the unit is set to Normal- the pop is able to be controlled. By adjusting the gain on the JBL sub I am able to lower or increase the pop. So, the result was to turn the crossover of the 1066 OFF, and adjust all controls on the sub. This is what Tim suggested, and he stated the sub would be able to provide a greater level of adjustment than the 1066. Now, this is not a cheap sub ($2000), but again, I prefer the crossover on the processor, only for the fact I can visually 'see' where it is, as opposed to going by a dial that doesn't have any numbers on it. (other than a 50 and 120 mark on either end)

The speakers do indeed pop as well, and I have come to no conclusion why this is happening, and have been unable to reduce or eliminate it. Sorry

My speaker setup was vastly different than what Tim suggested. I have always calibrated my systems to 75db output using a Radioshack SPL meter (analog, not digital version). I have always left the processor at 0db in the test tone feature, THEN adjusted down or up accordingly to match all speakers to the same reference point. Tim instructed me to turn the levels DOWN to
                                                            -3db/-4db on the test tone menu. And from THAT point he recommended that they be adjusted up or down accordingly. He explains this is how Rotel calibrates in their demo rooms. He began to explain this has to do with the old design of Pro-Logic decoders. He kinda lost me as he is a real technical guy but at the time it made sense!

This is fine, I now have to adjust the physical 'number' volume of the 1066 higher in order to achieve that same output as previously, but I am still calibrated to 75db. This brought up a few key points: Does Rotel have to redesign the options within the 1066 so that 0db is actually -3db. (so you start lower) or does the manual have to explain Rotel's philosophy on this? I can understand what Tim was saying, but for a guy like me if the 1066 gives me the option of 0db in the test tone menu, then I should be able to use it and start from there. This is something that will have to be looked at.

I will be borrowing a friend's sub in order to perform some more testing, so I will post as soon as I have the results. Rotel is indeed working hard to get this issue resolved, they have been having some difficulty duplicating the problem in their labs, so this just may be a quirk that is occurring. Who knows?

Sorry this is so long, but I hope it helps!

JP

Comment

• martin
                                                              • Jan 2003

JP, your A lucky man to have Rotel as neighbour

So what the technical guy is saying that it is A set-up problem?? I doubt..I discover A new ticking sound, when the sound is off and the volume is ON and you turn the Bass or Treble knob of the 1066 you hear a small tick in your tweeters of the main speakers, not loud but you hear it.

I think there's a internal problem in the 1066 that makes a distortion...

But i'm gladd that Rotel work on this problem (I hope)

My HT Homepage
                                                              My HT Homepage

Comment

• JP
                                                                • Feb 2003

From what I gather I do not believe they think it is a set-up issue. Tim helped me set up my system according to their criteria. Now done this way we were able to minimise the pop from the sub. They are indeed testing equipment to get to the bottom of the problem, and from what I have been told having they are having some units come directly to Mass offices for direct testing, from customers who have experianced this issue. So we should see some good results come about!

Comment

• martin
                                                                  • Jan 2003

JP.

Can you please check for me, that Bass and Treble knob ticking in the fronts/all speakers when you turn that knobs.
                                                                  if you and others have that same "problem" you can tell Tim about it..

Thanks!

My HT Homepage
                                                                  My HT Homepage

Comment

• JP
                                                                    • Feb 2003

I have not experianced that problem, but I will verify tonight and let you know!

JP

Comment

• Ron Reda
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2003

JP,

Can you also please inquire as to the popping that is heard on DVD layer changes and when switching channels using a DirecTV receiver? Thanks!

Comment

• JP
                                                                        • Feb 2003

Ron, I do indeed get popping when switching channels with a digital DSS system. The only temp resolution is to use analog connection, andd have the system default to analog. No resolution to this issue as of yet that I have heard of. According to Tim they are moving engineers around to help get a final resolution.

-jp

Comment

• martin
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2003

Hi.

I discover A new anoying sound for a sec, it came out my center tweeter, I thought the tweeter came out the box...
                                                                          I whas switching audio-channels whit my DVD-player, while I watching a movie....switching with DD5.1 and DD 2.0
                                                                          Please note, when you do this make sure that the volume is low.

My HT Homepage
                                                                          My HT Homepage

Comment

• jcbruck
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Feb 2003

JP, Any updates yet? Thx

Comment

• JP
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Feb 2003
                                                                              • 32

#39
                                                                              Hello all, a few things have come up

I recently upgraded the software again ( I forget the number) 2.2 something

The pop went away!!! but only for 10-15 minutes

yes, the software upgrade did indeed take care of the problem, but only for a short period of time. (verified twice) So, I am indeed positive this is a simple software bug that will be taken care of. I have not heard anything else as of late from Tim at Rotel ( I am sure they are very busy!) but I have high hopes this will be taken care of shortly!

JP

Comment

• martin
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2003
                                                                                • 29

#40
                                                                                Good news, only for A few minutes

When it is A software matter than it is easy to fixed (when it good works).

Thanks anyway for the update.

My HT Homepage
                                                                                My HT Homepage

Comment

• jprzybylski
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Feb 2003
                                                                                  • 24

#41
                                                                                  You know, I read ALOT of people on this forum that have problems with popping and signal delays, etc.

Yet, no one returns the unit. They deal with imperfections.

I realize $1600 isn't a TON of money for a high-end preamp. But hey -- that's still alot of money.

I had a problem with mine popping (slightly) and had a horrible signal delay. I returned it immediately, got a brand new one (with a better remote, too) and now i'm happy.

If there is a problem with your unit. Don't fuss with upgrades that you have to do yourself. RETURN IT.

Comment

• martin
                                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2003
                                                                                    • 29

#42
                                                                                    Are you sure that A newer RSP-1066 not have that popping problem.????
                                                                                    I have my 1066 now for 5 or 6 weeks....
                                                                                    What is de new number of the remote, i have a RR-1050 remote.

My HT Homepage
                                                                                    My HT Homepage

Comment

• JP
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2003
                                                                                      • 32

#43
                                                                                      I totally agree about returning the unit, I didn't purchase it from a 'dealer' really. I purchased it legally, and I have a full warranty. Exchange is just a bit complicated in my situation. But I do agree

jp

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 16507

#44
                                                                                        when you said that the new firmware fixed it for 10 mintues I wonder if it really was the firmware that fixed the problem or if it was more a matter of you turning of the rotel? It might be an interesting test to turn off the rotel like you do for a firmware upgrade and wait a moment then turn it back on and see if you still have the pop. I'm wondering its turning it off somehow reset something or it has to do with a static build up that the power off cycle helps to drain...until it builds up again in 10 mintues or so after been powered back on...

Comment

• JP
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Feb 2003
                                                                                          • 32

#45
                                                                                          interesting thought! Sounds very plausible, so who knows. I do turn the unit off comlpetely on a daily basis. ( I use the hard button, as opposed to the standby feature) but I'm really not sure

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"