KIT 281 V / progress and review invitation.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kerry Hackney
    • Dec 2000

KIT 281 V / progress and review invitation.

I am in the process of building Adire's 281 kit. Here is a link to my site with pictures of the cabinet building process.

Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

I don't know why I had not found this group earlier as I live dangerously close to Lex himself.. If Doug is interested, I will invite him over for a listen and unbiased opinion once I have them done. After the first of the year.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Kerry welcome

As I understand it anyone living near Doug is in danger :B

PLease check the text in your URL I can't get the page to load

Thanks
    Thomas

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Eric M L
      • Dec 2000

Thomas, the link you need is:
      Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

Comment

• Kerry Hackney
        • Dec 2000

Thomas, thanks for the warning about Doug Also, I fixed the link to my site. It was missing the ".html" Sorry...

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Kerry

Looks very nice so far.

Has Dan W. given you a weight for adding polyfill to control the "Q"?

If not, ask him for the amount in ounces, of poly to add to get a Qtc of 0.5. With this "Q" the system will then truly "mimic" a sealed enclosure

theAudioWorx
          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Kerry Hackney
            • Dec 2000

I haven't talked directly to Dan W. yet. I still have to order the drivers and ports. He did tell me what the port length needed to be for the low Q version on a forum exchange. I have the kit on Santa's list so maybe my wife talked to him ???

I don't feel right bothering him till I've paid for his time...

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

He probably didn't provide the info unless it was a specific request. So I'd suggest firing off an email. He'll reply when he has time, so it won't be a bother. Send him the link to this thread if you aren't sure what to ask.

theAudioWorx
              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Kerry Hackney
                • Dec 2000

It's been a while so I thought I would let you know how this is project is progressing. I posted some new pics on my site over the weekend.

Also, I placed the order today for all of the drivers and ports using Adire's online store. I will update the pictures so you can see what the pre-built crossovers and all the drivers look like once they come in. I still plan to have Lex come over for a listen as soon as possible once they are operational. I think it will be interesting for everyone to read the opinions of a neutral party either positive or negative.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I'd be very interested to hear what doug has to say about these when you're done with them.

Comment

• Lexman
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2000

Sounds great Kerry, I cannot wait!

Lex

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Kerry

That's a mightly nice looking cabinet

Did you ever get the low "Q" info from Dan W.?

theAudioWorx
                      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Kerry Hackney
                        • Dec 2000

Thomas,
                        For now I have decided to port the speaker as drawn by Adire. I will double check soon after they are finished to see where the tuning actually falls. I have a friend with a frequency generator and we can dial down the scale until we observe minimum cone movement and that should be very close. With access to the bottom half of the towers I could always change the port length. I will also try plugging the port with a ball to see if I like the sound better for music only.

BTW, I made about half of the corner stock last night in the shop. I also routed out the corners on the bottom of one of the towers. I decided to start there in case I had any problems. It will be easiest to hide any beauty marks down there.

Routers are one of the most used tools in the shop and one of the things that can ruin a project fastest. For anyone just starting take your time and think the process thru before you make the cuts. If this sounds like the voice of experience it is. I've made a lot of scrap wood as I have learned more about woodworking. I wasn't lucky enough to have someone teach me. I've learned what little I know by trial and error, books and of course "The New Yankee Workshop".

Comment

• Lexman
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jun 2000

Is it sheer coincidence that every carpenter in America has a wood burning stove? I think not. :B

Lex

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"