Does B&W 683 lack excitement?(in movies)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AwArEnEsS
    • Nov 2009

Does B&W 683 lack excitement?(in movies)

Does B&W 683 lack excitement?

In whathifi.com review http://www.whathifi.com/Review/BandW-683-Theatre/ is written:

"Sure, it’s got genuine punch and substance in the low frequencies, and generates an expansive, well-integrated soundstage"

"In the dread calm before the inevitable storm, the B&W develops tension as effectively as any system."

"Loud, yet cautious
    It’s the arrival of the storm that reveals the 683 Theatre’s major shortcoming. Despite having ample dynamic thrust on tap and being more than eager to deliver antisocial volumes, the B&W package is noticeably less engaging and enthusiastic than some of its rivals.
    "

"When the going gets rowdy, the B&W goes good and loud, all right, but never throws caution to the wind – at all times, the sound is refined and restrained. "

"Those traits are essential at times, of course, but every now and then (about every five minutes in the case of Batman Begins) it’s necessary to sacrifice some refinement in the name of excitement. "

"Impressive to look at and, especially at low volumes, impressive to listen to – but we’d like a bit more excitement for our money"

"Against
    Mistakes a lack of involvement for refinement"

I really got very disappointed after reading this review :cry:
    Last edited by AwArEnEsS; 02 December 2009, 21:26 Wednesday.
    The universe arises from definitionless awareness.
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Your ears are the best review of all. I've owned the 600 series. I was quite happy with them. A lot of performance for the buck.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

Link not available but I can give you my opinion on these fine speakers.
      B&W speakers like many higher end companies lack the sheer impact that some may look for in a theater experience. Yes B&W make unbelievable geat sounding musical speakers and for theater they are crazy clear and detail but there are times when watching movies you feel they lack the last word in dynamic range. This is a good thing for some and a bad thing for others. You should go to your local B&W dealer for a theater demo. This will allow you to decide if there dynamic range is what you want out of a theater experience.

There are many brands out there that give you excellent dynamic response but like the B&W they will require the right amount of power to make them shine.
      If you need I can make you a list of speakers that I feel would suit your needs, tell me what you want out a a speaker package and I'll direct you on the right path

Comment

• aquaanox
        • Feb 2007

the 600's are excellant for HT - like others have said, they provide clarity and detail that some other manufacturers sacrifice in order to give you more boom boom a lot also depends on the room and the positioning of the speakers. That said i personally use Quad's for HT now (just ended up that way over the years of speaker purchases), but had 600's before and wouldnt hesitate to have that setup for HT application again - several friends have the 600's for HT in dedicated theatre rooms and they sound awesome.

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
          • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answers.

aquaanox,does B&W 683 sacrifice booms in order to give clarity and detail?

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Put the Joe Bonamassa "Royal Albert Hall" DVD on to restore your faith and bring back the excitement.

Nigel.

Comment

• aquaanox
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AwArEnEsS
              Thanks for your answers.

aquaanox,does B&W 683 sacrifice booms in order to give clarity and detail?
              actually.. they are quite bass heavy - a lot will depend on your placement, they are great well balanced speakers. Btw.. i like the prior *made in england* generation better (the 600 s3 series). Maybe you can get a great deal on those used.

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

I do understand the fact that a speaker can be more geared towards musicality or HT use...but I've not really found a good case where I could see that.

If a speaker can have the ability to do the sharp transients of a good musical passage, then why can't it do the quick sounds during a movie? Seems a little bit odd.

I truthfully think it's not so much the speaker as it is the amplifier that the speaker is attached to. If the amp doesn't recover quickly (almost instantly) and doesn't have the power to drive the speakers, that's where you get into trouble with both HT and Music use.

The 683s are perfect for HT use...and very very good for music use. Is there better, yes. Is there worse. Most definitely. *cough* Bose *cough*
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
                  • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answers.

PeterTA
                  I truthfully think it's not so much the speaker as it is the amplifier that the speaker is attached to. If the amp doesn't recover quickly (almost instantly) and doesn't have the power to drive the speakers, that's where you get into trouble with both HT and Music use.
                  This is something which I was wondering.

Comment

• htsteve
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by PewterTA

I also agree. A 683, with it's nice bass drivers, will sound much better with a dedicated amp, than an A/V reciever. Or if you have a reciever today, get the 683's and a good (even used) two channel amp for them. Run the rest of the speakers off the receiver. The stereo amp will help to maximize the 683's performance.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
                      • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answer htsteve.
                      Last edited by AwArEnEsS; 05 December 2009, 22:04 Saturday.

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
                        • Nov 2009

I want to try to explain what I want mostly in a home theater setup.

For example,I am watching Jurassic Park.The dinosaurs start shouting,and I want to feel this shouting deeply,and it should "punch me".While I was watching this movie in a cinema,when a dinasour shouts I was feeling it deeply,sound was "punching" me and even the cinema chairs were shaking.I want this kind of thing in a home theater setup.

Comment

• htsteve
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

Awareness,

That 'punch' you are describing is down in the 20-30 Hz range. It is the visceral, in your face type of bass. The type you feel. The 683, even with an excellent 2 channel amp, will not get that low. To go that low with authority, you need a serious subwoofer.

Do you have a sub? If no, then you need to consider getting one. If you do have a sub, then it would seem you need to think of getting a different sub.

The forum will certainly give good advice on sub, across a wide price range.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• BWLover
                            • Jan 2009

I went from a Rotel RSX-1058 with my B&W 683's to a RB-1080 and noticed a very nice change in how the 683's sounded.
                            Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                            Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                            Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                            Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                            Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                            Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                            Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                            Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                            Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                            Playstation 3
                            Shaw HD PVR
                            Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• WelshOne
                              • Jan 2009

The best upgrade you can give yourself in life is to stop reading the comics..................especially what hi fi.

Comment

• emig5m
                                • Aug 2008

Heck, with a powered sub which I think most people have these days in a home theater environment, I thought my 684's where sufficient enough. I even contemplated going 685 bookshelfs all around once I heard how good they can do as front mains with a sub. The only thing that kept me from doing this was the openness and clarity of the FST mids in the 683. They definitely throw up a larger soundstage and with more clearer detail...

I also noticed a change from amping my 683's (going from a Yamaha AVR to a Emotiva XPA-5). I can't say it was a night and day difference as it seems the Emotiva is fairly neutral and the baseline sound of the Yamaha remained the same, but I did notice right off the bat more weighted bass authority at all volumes (I got the amp mainly because I kept tripping the Yamaha 663 into protection mode at loud dance club-like volumes with bass intensive music running the speakers full range without a sub).

Comment

• PewterTA
                                  • Nov 2004

The sub is the solution to that problem, htsteve is correct 100%

The powered sub will give that "weight" to the sound that normal speakers can not. It can pressurize the room and it gives one a sense of urgency or tenseness. Adding a sub can definitely make a huge difference. Just make sure you get "more sub than you need." It's better to have the power and ability than to strain a sub that's too small or weak to fill and "excite" the whole room (pressurize the room).
                                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                  -Dan

Comment

• emig5m
                                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                    The sub is the solution to that problem, htsteve is correct 100%

The powered sub will give that "weight" to the sound that normal speakers can not. It can pressurize the room and it gives one a sense of urgency or tenseness. Adding a sub can definitely make a huge difference. Just make sure you get "more sub than you need." It's better to have the power and ability than to strain a sub that's too small or weak to fill and "excite" the whole room (pressurize the room).
                                    Yup. I made this mistake when I got the Velodyne MiniVee. It was nice at first, but just couldn't keep up with the 683's when the goin' got tough. The 683's would pull away volume-wise and I could tell the Velodyne's built in limiter was kicking in because the volume of it would stay at a certain point where the 683's just kept climbing. I had to opt for a Sunfire Signature EQ (need small form factor for small room). This sub can get down and boogy and doesn't fall behind, heh. I actually plan on getting another one when I move the system into another larger room.

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"