X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofiel10
    • Nov 2009

802d or 800d?

Hi all,

I was wondering, I have a pair of great sounding 802d. Now I might have an opportunity to trade them in for a pair of 800d.

With the new series coming out, do you think this is a good idea? Or would it be better waiting for the new series?

How big is the difference between 802d and 800d actually?

regards
  • KyaDawn
    • Mar 2008

I'm a proud owner of the 802D, but I have demo'd both and I would say without a doubt the 800D is better. Besides having a better bass extension, what impressed me with the 800D was the overall tonal balance of the speaker. Hearing the 800D and the 802D back-to-back, you do notice a bit of a mid-bass hump with the 802D. Sadly, I believe that has do in large with the 800D having superior crossovers, or the 802D having "inferior" crossovers, whichever way you want to look at it. I've always wondered how much better and closer to the 800D the 802D would sound if it had similar quality caps.

Well it seems like we may soon find out with the new D models coming out. I really do hope B&W upgrades the crossovers in the 802D to at least similar quality as the 800D. Then we'll really see how much of a impact the different sized woofers and enclosures really make in the difference in sound between the two models.

As for whether you should wait for the new models, if you have the budget to buy them, then I would say definitely wait. I'm 100% positive B&W wouldn't put them out if they weren't superior to the current models today.

If you don't have the budget for the new models, I would say you might still want to wait as I'm sure there will be people selling their old 800Ds to buy the news ones, so with a flooding of the market, the price might come down. Having said that, your 802Ds might also drop in value potentially, so your best bet might be to sell your 802Ds now and with that money, wait a few months until the new models come out, and then try to buy a pair of used 800Ds for possibly a lower price than if you were to buy them today. 8)

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by audiofiel10
      Hi all, I was wondering, I have a pair of great sounding 802d. Now I might have an opportunity to trade them in for a pair of 800d.

With the new series coming out, do you think this is a good idea? Or would it be better waiting for the new series? How big is the difference between 802d and 800d actually? regards
      It all depends on your room size, the 800D sound very nice but you need a lot of power at least 400W
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Antus
        • Apr 2008

i would say wait for the new series. otherwise, once the new series come out, u will want/need to upgrade again.

I think the difference between 800D and 802D are mostly in crossover quality. of course B&W might twick a little here and there, the crossover is major.

Have u got a chance to try the Signature Diamand? if not, u should definately give them a try. Personally, i think it sound better than 800D if you don't count the low bass. by listening to them, I understand there are still room for improvement in the current 800 series. The current 800 series (even 800D) sound a bit slow and colored in the mid range. i would think the upcoming 800 series will have TRUE first order crossover in the mid woofer. (right now, only tweeter use first order, while Kevler woofer use second order, i believe)

Comment

• KyaDawn
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by wettou
          It all depends on your room size, the 800D sound very nice but you need a lot of power at least 400W
          I agree about the room size, and for price vs. performance, the 802D is definitely in the sweet spot for the 800 series, IMHO.

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

Hallo,

Yes the room size, I agree too but I like the 802D: clean and nice design... :T

The 800 is a great speaker that sure for personal taste I will go with the 802D....

Style

Comment

• BlueSander
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by style
              Hallo,

Yes the room size, I agree too but I like the 802D: clean and nice design... :T

The 800 is a great speaker that sure for personal taste I will go with the 802D....

Style
              +1 800D is probably a little over killing for home entertainment. The improvement doesn't even worth the extra cost you're paying there.

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                I agree about the room size, and for price vs. performance, the 802D is definitely in the sweet spot for the 800 series, IMHO.
                Also 802D is the money making machine for B&W great price/value ratio
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• audiofiel10
                  • Nov 2009

Thanks all..

I do realize my 802d are actually quite perfect. They sound magnificent...and they are not the huge obstacles that I would expect the 800d to be. The thing is...

one always wants more...

What would really be an attractive...can't turn down that offer kind of price on the 800d according to you???

We're talking a demo pair..in cherry. Perfect condition.

regards

Comment

• Orb
                    • Aug 2008

Hi all,

I was wondering, I have a pair of great sounding 802d. Now I might have an opportunity to trade them in for a pair of 800d.

With the new series coming out, do you think this is a good idea? Or would it be better waiting for the new series?

How big is the difference between 802d and 800d actually?

regards
                    I think it may be worth waiting until the new year when the latest release is nearly out, I would expect dealers to discount the older model more at that point.
                    Of course this does depend upon if distributors and dealers have the older stock at that time to get rid of.
                    And if there is not much of a discount for the older speaker, then it can make sense to wait and purchase the latest iteration if it does seem better to you.
                    This way you got a couple of options, that hopefully can also take provide the potential of some cost savings.

Cheers
                    Orb

Comment

• KyaDawn
                      • Mar 2008

Thanks all..

I do realize my 802d are actually quite perfect. They sound magnificent...and they are not the huge obstacles that I would expect the 800d to be. The thing is...

one always wants more...

What would really be an attractive...can't turn down that offer kind of price on the 800d according to you???

We're talking a demo pair..in cherry. Perfect condition.

regards
                      How much is the dealer asking for on top of your 802Ds? If it's minimal, then I would say just go for it! :B

If you have the room size for the 800Ds, then it absolutely would be an upgrade. Keep in mind that if you wait for the new models, you're looking at probably a price tag of around $30K for the new 800Ds, which is more than a 20% increase of the current model NEW.

So if you're not looking to spend anything close to that and you have a case of upgraditis, might as well take the jump! 8)

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"