X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • co64
    • Nov 2009

803D and size of room

I have been reading concerns over speaker selection and room size. I'm considering using 803D's as a part of a HT in a dedicated media room. 20x14 ft completely enclosed. After listening to 804S thru 802D's at my local dealer, I loved the sound of the 803D's (powered there by McIntosh monoblock amps). However their room was considerably larger - maybe 30x20?. Is my room too small for these speakers? I will be using a Spectron Premiere 5 channel amp, 805s for the rears, and will later consider an HTM2. Any advice or comments is appreciated.
  • Hammie
    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by co64
    I have been reading concerns over speaker selection and room size. I'm considering using 803D's as a part of a HT in a dedicated media room. 20x14 ft completely enclosed. After listening to 804S thru 802D's at my local dealer, I loved the sound of the 803D's (powered there by McIntosh monoblock amps). However their room was considerably larger - maybe 30x20?. Is my room too small for these speakers? I will be using a Spectron Premiere 5 channel amp, 805s for the rears, and will later consider an HTM2. Any advice or comments is appreciated.
    I've considered them as an upgrade for my 11x15 room. I don't think they would be too small. Maybe with some acoustical treatments and they could be perfect.
    Panasonic TC-P65VT30
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
    Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
    Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
    Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
    My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
    Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

co64,

First of all, welcome to the forum!

I have 802D's in an 11 X 16 room. Out of the box (on McIntosh equipment) they sounded excellent. I've since done acoustic treatments and now they sound spectacular.

I think you will be fine with 803D in 20X14 room. Good electronics will help quite a bit as well as some treatments.

Good speaker placement, spikes/stands, etc are other relatively inexpensive things like this will also help.

One recommendation is to get a stereo amp for the 803D's, at some point. They LOVE current. A stereo amp does not need to share with the other channels. It improves things across the board.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by htsteve; 05 December 2009, 23:48 Saturday.

Comment

• kmcheng
        • Jan 2008

I have my 803D in a 26 x 15 room with 9 foot ceilings. They can definitely fill the room very well. The biggest complaint my wife has about them is that they are too loud. (They are not!)

I would agree with htsteve that you may want to consider a separate stereo amp.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"