images were too big to upload here.
  • Ken49r
    • Dec 2007

Looks good aquaanox.....Clean!

Comment

• wgriel
      • May 2006

beautiful setup!

I love your turntable: what model is that?

Comment

• Hammie
        • Oct 2005

Very nice setup. Love all of the gear. I bet it sounds amazing. I am so itching for a TT.

One thing though. It just looks like the speakers should be spread apart a little for the best imaging.
        Panasonic TC-P65VT30
        Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
        Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
        Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
        B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
        Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
        My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
        Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• aquaanox
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by wgriel
          beautiful setup!

I love your turntable: what model is that?
          Its a clearaudio blue emotion (with upgrades - feet, cf tonearm etc). It sounds amazing.

Comment

• aquaanox
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by louhamilton
            Very nice setup. Love all of the gear. I bet it sounds amazing. I am so itching for a TT.

One thing though. It just looks like the speakers should be spread apart a little for the best imaging.
            thanks, agree with moving further apart - the problem is my billiard table on one side - speaker would be too close to the butt end of a pool que if i try to move them further apart.

Should def get a turntable!

Comment

• HDBLU
              • Jul 2008

Very Nice well Done
              2ch Setup
              Krix Neupohonix
              Musical Fidelity M6i
              Musical Fidelity M6CDP
              Denon DCD-1510 SACD Player

Cables I Use
              MIT

Comment

• ShadowZA
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Thanks for your pics, aquaanox. Superb setup! :T

Comment

• aquaanox
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by aquaanox
                  thanks, agree with moving further apart - the problem is my billiard table on one side - speaker would be too close to the butt end of a pool que if i try to move them further apart.

so i moved them about a foot further apart and that sure made a slight difference for the better. what i really need is to separate my game room from the music room - need a bigger house

Comment

• dyazdani
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

so i moved them about a foot further apart and that sure made a slight difference for the better. what i really need is to separate my game room from the music room - need a bigger house
                    Then you'll need a bigger system! Good idea
                    Danish

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by dyazdani
                      Then you'll need a bigger system! Good idea
                      It's a vicious and endless cycle isn't it. :
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

• vinylmeister
                        • Sep 2009

I like the photo of the catridge/needle on the LP and turntable, how did you manage the lightning for that photo?
                        Marantz SA-11S2 -> Cardas Golden Presence -> Classe CP-500 -> Cardas Quadlink -> CA-2200 -> Cardas Quadlink -> B&W 802d

Comment

• Hammie
                          • Oct 2005

The problem is how much to spend. I can spend $500 or so on an entry unit (as long as it has an MM cartridge since that is all my Denon receiver supports). If I move up in price, I will also need to potentially look at a phono or 2-channel pre-amp w/ HT bypass since I run a dual function system.

I guess ultimately, I would not spend more than $2K on my initial investment -- TT/arm/cartridge, stand, cables, pre-amp, etc.

Your's looks very nice. How much was it? (you can PM if you want)
                          Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• aquaanox
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinylmeister
                            I like the photo of the catridge/needle on the LP and turntable, how did you manage the lightning for that photo?

thanks.. that was with no artificial lighting(no flash etc), just ambient light in the room.

Canon 50D + Sigma 50mm 1.4 lens and gitzo CF tripod.

Shot with spot metering, exposure locked to the light falloff on the walls in the room, exposure compensation -1/3rd.
                            White balance corrected to tungsten, shot at f 1.6, and probably a 10-15 second shutter speed.

Comment

• aquaanox
                              • Feb 2007

The problem is how much to spend. I can spend $500 or so on an entry unit (as long as it has an MM cartridge since that is all my Denon receiver supports). If I move up in price, I will also need to potentially look at a phono or 2-channel pre-amp w/ HT bypass since I run a dual function system.

I guess ultimately, I would not spend more than $2K on my initial investment -- TT/arm/cartridge, stand, cables, pre-amp, etc.

Your's looks very nice. How much was it? (you can PM if you want)
                              I think you can easily get a great setup for $2000 or even less.

the cartridge and the pre-amp being the most important pieces in your setup.

1) The cheaper but decent option - Get yourself an entry level Rega turntable, a decent one will be around $500 or less.. They are made in England and superb. Get the Clearaudio entry level MM cartridge (dont buy the cheaper grado's etc), or a Benz Micro High Output Moving Coil. The mc20e2 is absolutely awesome! and will work with any MM re-amp. Both cartridges are in the $200-300 range.

2) The slightly more expensive option - Get the Clearaudio (german made) BlueMotion turntable with the upgraded feet (should be around $1400). The Version i have has the Carbon fiber tonearm, and some other tweaks, so it was close to 2k. The basic Clearaudio emotion with a aluminum tonearm should be around $1200 without the cartridge. These tables are really a steal since the tonearms themselves are worth more than the table the come with. The best MM carts ive ever heard are the ClearAudio Virtuoso or the Maestro.

3) At some point get a decent pre-amp - im a clearaudio fan and love their clearaudio basic (around $600), though currently im use a tube pre-amp made by Synthesis, but that was closer to $1500.

Feel free to PM me.

Cheers

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                • Mar 2008

Great looking set-up! :T

Comment

• Hammie
                                  • Oct 2005

the cartridge and the pre-amp being the most important pieces in your setup.

1) The cheaper but decent option - Get yourself an entry level Rega turntable, a decent one will be around $500 or less.. They are made in England and superb. Get the Clearaudio entry level MM cartridge (dont buy the cheaper grado's etc), or a Benz Micro High Output Moving Coil. The mc20e2 is absolutely awesome! and will work with any MM re-amp. Both cartridges are in the $200-300 range.

2) The slightly more expensive option - Get the Clearaudio (german made) BlueMotion turntable with the upgraded feet (should be around $1400). The Version i have has the Carbon fiber tonearm, and some other tweaks, so it was close to 2k. The basic Clearaudio emotion with a aluminum tonearm should be around $1200 without the cartridge. These tables are really a steal since the tonearms themselves are worth more than the table the come with. The best MM carts ive ever heard are the ClearAudio Virtuoso or the Maestro.

3) At some point get a decent pre-amp - im a clearaudio fan and love their clearaudio basic (around $600), though currently im use a tube pre-amp made by Synthesis, but that was closer to $1500.

Feel free to PM me.

Cheers
                                  Thanks for the response. When the time gets closer to purchasing, I may pick your mind a little more.

Thanks again!
                                  Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• aquaanox
                                    • Feb 2007

Thanks for the response. When the time gets closer to purchasing, I may pick your mind a little more.

Thanks again!
                                    anytime.. looks like you're in the area.. welcome to stop by and take a listen sometime. cheers

Comment

• wgriel
                                      • May 2006

Agreed.

Another option in this price range is something like a Pro-ject Xpression. Very well made, nice carbon fiber tone arm and comes with a good cartridge. It's certainly competitive with the entry level Regas.

Great recommendation! Another way to go is to try to find an old Systemdeck table (or buy a revamped one under the AudioNote name). Depending on which cartridge you get, you may be looking at similar or higher prices as the Clearaudio. I've currently got an AudioNote and it's an amazing sounding table.

Lots of options here: at the $500.00 price point I really like the Simaudio LP3. Again, at around the $1500.00 mark the Simaudio LP5.3 is great, but there are lots of good phono stages at that price point.

Comment

• Hammie
                                        • Oct 2005

anytime.. looks like you're in the area.. welcome to stop by and take a listen sometime. cheers
                                        I totally missed that we are practically neighbors.

Thanks for the offer.
                                        Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• WelshOne
                                          • Jan 2009

Wow!

I would love to have my system set up like yours, it looks a fantastic showcase piece!

Nice work

Comment

• aquaanox
                                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by WelshOne
                                            Wow!

I would love to have my system set up like yours, it looks a fantastic showcase piece!

Nice work

thanks!! Still need to get some sound anchors and a decent power conditioner but i love the simplicity of the system. Actually one of these days i might just sell that rega CDP and make this an analog only setup. That Rega Apollo is nice, but i always find myself taking an LP out of the sleeve when i sit down to listen to some music.

Comment

• WelshOne
                                              • Jan 2009

I'd be cautious with power conditioners, unless you need one for a particular reason. They can change the sound of your system, sometimes for the better, sometimes worse!

I had quite a high end Isotek Sigmas for a few weeks on loan, at first I thought it was great because it took away the treble harshness from my system. Then after a few days I was listening to music, and thought it sounded very flat, i.e. loss of dynamics. I immediately plugged everything back into the wall sockets (dedicated main spur btw). Reset it back to the original volume and track, and the life and 'bounce' came back to the music again.

After some fiddling I found the culprit to be the amp. Conversely I found the Isotek offered almost no noticeable benefit to any of the other sources, including plasma PQ.

Some people have reported huge benefits with them though, so it's a system and mains dependant thing?

Try before you buy bud.

Comment

Working...
                                              😀
                                              😂
                                              🥰
                                              😘
                                              🤢
                                              😎
                                              😞
                                              😡
                                              👍
                                              👎
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"