• Dec 2008

Help me choose - B&W DB-1 v Velodyne DD-18

B&W DB-1 v Velodyne DD-18
    I don't care about price
    I have already 802D, HTM2D, 805s in rosenut... :W
    Velo cherry v B&W piano black
    Velo shipping today v B&W shipping January
    Vello 2003 B&W 2010
    In a few days Christmass (means many films :W )

Thanks

Edit pictures :lol:

Last edited by planitismetal; 23 November 2009, 09:57 Monday.
  • KyaDawn
    • Mar 2008

I just noticed how similar the model number of the new B&W sub is to the Velo classic, not coincidental I'm sure. :B

I say go for the DB-1 if only because piano black matches better with rosenut than cherry wood! :rofl:

Comment

• specialized
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by planitismetal
      B&W DB-1 v Velodyne DD-18
      I don't care about price
      I have already 802D, HTM2D, 805s in rosenut... :W
      Velo cherry v B&W piano black
      Velo shipping today v B&W shipping January
      Vello 2003 B&W 2010
      In a few days Christmass (means many films :W )

Thanks

Edit pictures :lol:

Seem that i'l visit Corfu again this summer

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

planitismetal,

I have 802D's, HTM2D and 804S's in a smallish sized room. I had a Velodyne DD18. I liked it very much, especially the built in calibration. It worked quite well. More musical than I would expect for that size. I then auditioned a JL Audio F113. I had read a lot about JL Audio subs and all were pretty much the same thing: a reference level sub.

The JL Audio is an excellent sub. I ordered an F112 and replaced my DD18. The 112's musicality is astonishing, and it has amazing output for HT.

If you have access to JL Audio's where you are, I would suggest looking into those.

If you do not have access to JL audio, the best thing to do is listen to each with as close to the same system as possible. I know the DD18 is one very good sub. Obviously, the B&W is new, but I like what I read about it.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

Hi George,

the problem is to have a JL Audio dealer in Europa!!!!!!!

:cry:

Omar

Comment

• Race Car Driver
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

I hope the DB-1 is nice, but I am just lot digging the whole "box" thing. One of the things I loved about my ASW-855. However for its size and price I felt their could be better than the 855.

JL.... Drool..

B&W

Comment

• style
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2006

planitismetal,

go see in yuotube...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

and

:T
              but in Europa in not available....Go with the Velo!!!! Velo have too a new models!!
              or other the listen Kef top sub

like speakers the sub market have al ot of choice!!

Style

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

the problem with the new b&w is that its so new there isn't much real world experience with it. try and see if your dealer will order one and let you demo it, and keep it if you like it, or give it back to him as a floor demo.
                I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• planitismetal
                  • Dec 2008

Wrong or wright decision, alea jacta est

Velodyne DD-18 will be my new sub... Thanks all you guys for your help!

Comment

• hifiguymi
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2007

I just received an e-mail from B&W and the DB1 isn't going to be available until February. If you want something now (which it sounds like you do since you ordered the Velodyne) the B&W is not going to do it.

Eric

Comment

• htsteve
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by planitismetal
                      Velodyne DD-18 will be my new sub... Thanks all you guys for your help!

A very good choice. It will be a substantial upgrade to your current sub (as listed in your profile). I hope you have some room, it is a BIG sub (about a 2 foot cube).

One thing you might consider is spikes on it. The feet are 1/4-20 threads and are removable. I replaced the feet with some spikes and it helped a bit. Tightened it up some.

Enjoy!!

Comment

• JargonGR
                        • Feb 2009

I would not even consider the Velo since in my opinion it is a relic meaning old and left behind.

A single SVS PB13-Utra smashes it in in output and goes much lower than all of the above. There is no way to beat it for its price and with the same money you can get two of them.

If you can not go with SVS there are other excellent choices but do yourself a favor and avoid the super expensive underperforming well known brands.

I researched the sub question for months over months and finally I ended up on custom made subs - two Dual 15" passive subs (sealed design) that go down to 5Hz and are driven by two amps totaling 5,000 Watts. They cost no more than a Gotham but no less either.

If you are in the US there are lots of choices for you and I would suggest a visit on avsforum at the SUB section.

In any case the DD18 will be the worst choice of all of the above if performance is what you are looking for.

Comment

• gross30
                          • Jun 2005

You will not be disappointed with the DD18. I've had the 15"s (2) for some time now, and they sound just as crisp and deep and clean as the day I hooked them up. Very well built series from Velodyne. That 18 will push a lot. You will be amazed.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Congratulations! Your DD18 is an excellent choice imho. My DD15 serves me well.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"