X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drek
    • Nov 2009

Surrounds for 805s's?

I have a small apartment and am considering grabbing some B&W's. The living room is about 12x12x8 (1152 cubic feet) so it's not that big. I'm considering purchasing a pair of 805's and HTM-4s. My question though is what would be a good set for the rears? The CM line?

I'll be driving them with either a Marantz AVR or the Marantz pre/pro and an emotive amp.
  • emig5m
    • Aug 2008

Another set of 805S's IMO.

Comment

• Ken49r
      • Dec 2007

I use black ash DS7's for surrounds with my black ash 805's and it pairs nicely with them in looks and sound. Even though the 700 series is no longer on the B&W website your dealer or the distributor may still have some in stock.

Comment

• Drek
        • Nov 2009

Thank you both for your replies. I wasn't to sure if using 805s's both front and rear was a good idea... I'll check with my dealer and see what he has though. I appreciate the help.

Comment

• Ken49r
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Drek
          Thank you both for your replies. I wasn't to sure if using 805s's both front and rear was a good idea... I'll check with my dealer and see what he has though. I appreciate the help.
          805 would be the best for rears especially if you use MC audio (DVD-A, SACD, Blu-ray) if you can afford it. I went the more economical route, and I can always move the DS7's to rears in a 7.1 setup in the future.

Comment

• Antus
            • Apr 2008

805S will be a easy choice. however, u can try the new CM5, which i think is very good and cost less.
            Htm4 will be a must buy.

just a thought, by using CM5, u can save some money and u can get better amp. I don't know how Emotiva perform. but there are lots good choice in the sub $3K range.

Comment

• Hammie
              • Oct 2005

See if your dealer will let you try anything in home. I know my dealer does (as long as they are floor models ).
              Panasonic TC-P65VT30
              Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
              Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
              Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
              B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
              Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
              My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
              Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Blindamood
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Drek
                Don't forget the SCMS...these mate perfectly with the 805S and HTM4S. Okay, I'm a little biased, 'cause this is my setup as well... :W

Do a quick search in this forum and you will find several discussions of these wonderful wall-mount speakers.
                Brad

Comment

• Drek
                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Antus
                  805S will be a easy choice. however, u can try the new CM5, which i think is very good and cost less.
                  Htm4 will be a must buy.

just a thought, by using CM5, u can save some money and u can get better amp. I don't know how Emotiva perform. but there are lots good choice in the sub $3K range.
                  Could you elaborate on some of these other amps? I've never run a Pre/Pro setup before. The Emotiva I've had a chance to hear and it sounds good... but I'm not sure what else is out there.

Comment

• Antus
                    • Apr 2008

Classe 5100, Rotel 1570, Bryston 9Bsst2 are some good choice. they are more expensive than Emotiva, but i think they sound pretty good.
                    Parasound Halo A52 also a good choice.

btw, only Rotel is sub $3K, others are a bit more.

Comment

• boarder1995
                      • Sep 2009

Initially, you may not hear a difference between, say the Emotiva and Rotel and even McIntosh and Classe. But, spend some time going back and forth and you may start to pick out slight and very subtle differences between them. These may seem small, but over time your ears will more easily pick up these things and as a result they will seem big and you'll always know what's possible with what's usually more money. In the grand scheme of things, speakers will make the biggest difference, then speaker placement, then room acoustics, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"