X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wildmda
    • Jan 2009

802d room configuration

All,

I am trying to decide if my room will work with an 802d. I have a room that is oddly shaped and is upstairs.

I have an entertainment center on one wall.

Left side: Next to the entertainment center on the left is a doorway. On the other side of the doorway is a 3 foot area. This is where I have one speaker today (803s).

Right side: On the right side of the entertainment center is a 19 inch area and then a wall. I have the other 803s in this cubby whole today.

If I buy 802d's, can I get them to sound right in this configuration? Will they sound better, the same or worse than the 803s's in that configuration? I don't have any other choices in this room due to dormers, doors and roof lines.

Thanks for you help,
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

wildmda,

What are the rough dimensions? Mine is 11' X 16'. I have 802D's. There is a door on the left wall about 4 feet from the wall. Both speakers are a couple of feet or so from the back wall and 1-1.5 feet from each wall.

They sounded very, very good when I first put them in there. I've done acoustic treatments since then and that has definitely improved things. This is something to consider.

As to your primary question, the 802D's should sound better than the 803S's. The 802D's are special speakers, especially when driven with a high current amp. While the layout is not ideal, it is very workable.

Is the seating position roughly in between the main speakers?

Hope this helps.

Comment

• wildmda
      • Jan 2009

htsteve,

The room is irregularly shaped. It is upstairs with a dormer and roof line on two of four sides. The room is about 16 by 22.

The sitting area is in the middle. However I am not able to get the speakers far from the wall. In fact, the one on the right in the 19 inch area is next to the entertainment center on one side, next to a wall in the back and next to a wall on the other side. The only side open is the front.

The left speaker is next two a wall on two sides.

When I say next to a wall, it is within a couple inches.

I just want to make sure I don't buy the 802ds and then regret it because my room makes them sound poorly.

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by wildmda
        I just want to make sure I don't buy the 802ds and then regret it because my room makes them sound poorly.

I can totally understand that. Two thoughts come to mind. First off, how do the 803's (Are they N803's or 803S's?) sound? If they sound pretty good today, you're considering a speaker that is decidedly superior.

My second thought is around the dealer. Do you have a dealer that would be willing to let you demo some 802D's in home. Something to consider, if that is a possibility.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• wildmda
          • Jan 2009

htsteve,

I have the 803S's. They sound great to me. I have a deal that expires by year end to upgrade to the 802Ds at a good price.

I am wondering if there will be a definite difference to the good in sound given the less than optimal configuration (against 3 walls on one, and against 2 walls on the other)...or will they be distorted. Someone told me the 803S's would sound better in this configuration than the 802D's.. Could that be possible?

Thanks again for the comment and help,

Comment

• mjb
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Sorry if this sounds terse, but the 803D is not the 802D - fact, they don't even look the same, yet this question comes up so often. Unless your room is extremely small, moving up to 802D's will always be a joyful experience.
            - Mike

Main System:
            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• htsteve
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

wildmda,

I'm glad the 803S's sound very nice in your current room. The 802D's will be that much better then. Every part of the 802D is upgraded from the 803S.

The 802D's will be more dynamic, detailed, bigger soundstage, have better depth, etc. Even in a room that is not optimal, the 802D's should sound 'bigger' than the room itself (Mine definitely do), and certainly bigger than the 803S's.

It sounds like you have a good offer. Given the economy, dealers have really nice deals going. Eventually, these deals will disappear as things get better.

If you can do the deal, then I definitely recommend doing it. The 802D's are special. A very good situation.

Another thing to consider is that your speakers may not be in that room forever. My HT setup was in our family room. Last year we redid our basement and put in an HT room. 802D's went down there.

If you could post pictures, that would be cool. Then we can really see what you are dealing with.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• KyaDawn
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by wildmda
                All,

I am trying to decide if my room will work with an 802d. I have a room that is oddly shaped and is upstairs.

I have an entertainment center on one wall.

Left side: Next to the entertainment center on the left is a doorway. On the other side of the doorway is a 3 foot area. This is where I have one speaker today (803s).

Right side: On the right side of the entertainment center is a 19 inch area and then a wall. I have the other 803s in this cubby whole today.

If I buy 802d's, can I get them to sound right in this configuration? Will they sound better, the same or worse than the 803s's in that configuration? I don't have any other choices in this room due to dormers, doors and roof lines.

Thanks for you help,
                Do you have a photo of your room? I think that would help a lot in terms of us understanding what you are working with.

But to answer your question, it would be difficult for the 802Ds to sound worse than your 803Ss in almost any scenario. The room would have to be tiny, though your room is 16' x 22', so it should be fine.

Comment

• Hammie
                  • Oct 2005

Never feel that your room is too small for 802D's. That a look at this room:

Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                  Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                  Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                  Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                  B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                  Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                  My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                  Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• mjb
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Sweet! And a case in point. 802d's don't need a huge room, they are a fantastic looking and sounding speaker, and they're quite an upgrade from the 803d :T
                    - Mike

Main System:
                    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• KyaDawn
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by louhamilton
                      :T :B

That's an AWESOME looking room! All I have to say is the owner has got some cajones!!!

Comment

• ninja12
                        • Mar 2007

I must agree with everyone else. The 802ds will definitely not sound worse then the 803S. On that, I guarantee you. Why do I guarantee. Well, I just upgraded from the 803S to the 802Ds. The sound all around is better. I'm not saying the 803S are bad sounding speakers because they are definitely not. I'm just saying that the 802Ds are better speakers, and they should be given the price. However, I got a great deal on my speakers. One that I just could not walk away from, and I am glad that I didn't. You definitely will not be sorry that you upgraded to the 802Ds. If you are really concerned about the room and the walls, then I would suggest you start looking at acoustic treatments. As a matter of fact, your 803S would sound better in that room if you had some acoustic treatments. There's an old saying. "I prefer to have a mid-fi system in a well treated room then to have a hi-fi system in an untreated room". The reason for that is because the mid-fi system will sound better than the hi-fi system because the room is treated to prevent the sounds from bouncing off of the walls, ceilings, and floors. It allows you to really hear your system instead of the room. Anyway, the final decision is yours of course; but, you can't go wrong with the 802Ds. Good luck on your decision. :T BTW what kind of power are you using now to drive your speakers? I know I don't need to tell you the B&Ws love power.

Comment

• wildmda
                          • Jan 2009

Thanks to all. I will get a picture posted next week when I get back to town.

I am powering the 803s speakers with rotel 1095 and 1080.

I am considering mcintosh 402 or Classe... but both might have to wait until I get more cash... the 802d's are going to stretch me :-)

Comment

• specialized
                            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by louhamilton

This room can be used for medical purpose as well.. As treatment with sound for braking sand and rocks in kidneys instead using ultra sound machine

Darko

Comment

• vinylmeister
                              • Sep 2009

Is the door into this room closed? No bass resonances??
                              Marantz SA-11S2 -> Cardas Golden Presence -> Classe CP-500 -> Cardas Quadlink -> CA-2200 -> Cardas Quadlink -> B&W 802d

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"