X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AwArEnEsS
    • Nov 2009

Are B&W 600 series good all-rounders?

Are B&W 600 series good all-rounders?Are B&W 685s good all-rounders?I am convinced that B&Ws are generally very good for jazz and classical music.But I am not sure about techno-rock-pop songs and musics.I am planning to buy B&W 685 cause I like B&W brand very much and I will add a few other speakers in the same series for surround sound.Are they good with those type of music/songs?

Also has anybody listened to Focal Chorus 706v and other Focals in the same series?I read that they are more aggressive than B&Ws,so are they a better choice for rock-pop-techno?
    The universe arises from definitionless awareness.
  • Hammie
    • Oct 2005

If you pair them with a nice sub, they should be fine.

I'm not familiar with the Focal's to comment on them.
    Panasonic TC-P65VT30
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
    Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
    Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
    Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
    My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
    Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• JustinGN
      • May 2009

I use B&W 684s for Fronts, 685s for rears and an HTM61 for a center, and they sound fantastic with anything. I play lots of games on them for the most part, but I still sit down to enjoy some Paul Van Dyk or Offspring on occasion as well. They're an absolutely fantastic all-around speaker set in my opinion, regardless of material genre.

Worth every penny.

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

No matter which way you go , buy a really good subwoofer.

Ok now that thats out of the way both companies make incredible speakers. I like both brands a lot. I also have experience with both models.

The B&W 600 series in general is a great all around performer. When you get high up in B&W's line they seem to favor Jazz and Classical more. To me I find them lacking when producing heavier rock cuts. They seem to be less forgiving. The 600 series for some reason don't share this and can play everything excellent.

Focal is just an overall incredible performing speaker no matter what you do , no matter what speaker you listen to they all have an uncanny way of performing. Like Dynaudio Focal can play all music and do it well. Love this brand.

So really this is just my perspective of both brands. I really like B&W CM series as I plan on owning the 9's one day. Love em. But honestly you gotta listen for yourself. This question can't be answered other then with personal experience and opinion. Nothing wrong with that as you might see some of the shared opinions and can call it fact by majority but it will really come down to you in the end to pick the right speaker for you.

Can't really go wrong with your choices .

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
          • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answers.

Cause I love B&W brand and I prefer 685's appearence against Focal 706V's appearence(I don't want to take off grilles and don't like the Focal's different style of grilles,I like standard grilles more,although I may start liking them after a while after buying them) I think I will choose 685s.

Dmantis wrote:
          But honestly you gotta listen for yourself. This question can't be answered other then with personal experience and opinion. Nothing wrong with that as you might see some of the shared opinions and can call it fact by majority but it will really come down to you in the end to pick the right speaker for you.
          You are right,but there is no shop which sells B&W or Focal in my city or at least I couldn't find.(I looked at B&W's "dealer locator" section and also I don't remember that I have seen a hifi shop(there are Pioneer,Panasonic shops but no hifi speakers like B&W)

Some people say that B&W 685s are laid back,this frightens me a bit.Laid back means tame,mellow,smooth(I don't know musical terms)?

If I don't like 685s,can I use them as rear speakers and buy Focals 726v as fronts(in future) and a Focal centre(in future)?Is this possible?
          Last edited by AwArEnEsS; 22 November 2009, 23:27 Sunday.

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

Drive man drive. Find the closet dealer and make a day out of it. It would be worth it.

Don't mix and match.

Comment

• KyaDawn
              • Mar 2008

I've demoed the 685s before and think they are pretty much good for all types of music. If by "techno-rock-pop", you are referring to the bass performance, then I can vouch that the 685s are good in that department even without a sub, as opposed to say, the CM1s, which are more pronounced and detailed in the highs, but lack convincing bass.

I agree with Dmantis, definitely don't mix and match. Demo them first and buy them only if you like the sound. Looks are very secondary. And if you like them as fronts, then consider another pair as your rears and even as the center.

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
                • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answers.I decided B&W between B&W and Focal.I am planning to buy some other speakers in the series to make a surround system,in the future.Yesterday I read a review of Focal 700v series as surround,and it was written that bass is the Achilles heel of Focal 726v, low frequencies with Focal 726v lacks weight and are not well defined.This is an important minus for me,although I am planning to buy a subwoofer when I buy the floorstanders,still I want my floorstanders to be able to produce good bass.

I want to add that while I am researching non-B&W speakers,when I read a minus way of a speaker,I get happy(cause this pushes me more towards B&W,and I want to buy B&W)

Comment

• ryan.devry
                  • Apr 2008

I have the 685s with asw608 and I have been blown away.......... The speakers go a really long way for only being bookshelf speakers (and are not expensive). Add a nice sub into the mix (aswXXX, MiniVee, ETC.) and you will be fine....

Before I had the B&W 685, I had PSB Image 6T towers. The image series has been PSB big seller, and the 6T's are a full range tower speaker. IMO the B&W's have a 100% defferent sound. Everything seems more detailed. The B&W's vocally are amazing. I listen to a lot of different types of music and I am very satisfied.....

If you really want to see how well these speakers perform, try listening to some female vocals (I recommend Evanescence: Amy Lee's voice is amazing). Also any vocals that may be a little raspy like Kings of Leon's, or if your into it Eric Clapton does very well.
                  Ryan
                  -------------------------

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by AwArEnEsS
                    Thanks for your answers.I decided B&W between B&W and Focal.I am planning to buy some other speakers in the series to make a surround system,in the future.Yesterday I read a review of Focal 700v series as surround,and it was written that bass is the Achilles heel of Focal 726v, low frequencies with Focal 726v lacks weight and are not well defined.This is an important minus for me,although I am planning to buy a subwoofer when I buy the floorstanders,still I want my floorstanders to be able to produce good bass.

I want to add that while I am researching non-B&W speakers,when I read a minus way of a speaker,I get happy(cause this pushes me more towards B&W,and I want to buy B&W)
                    How far away is the closest B&W dealer to you? Where do you live? I still suggest strongly that you make a point to go visit a dealer and get a demo before you buy. B&W speakers are excellent speakers for the money in just about every single way but thats my opinion.Usually where there is one Hi fi Shop there are others close by. Do yourself a favor and research this some more. You may find a few dealers in your travels to go demo at. This will be worth a full day or 2 if you have to stay overnight somewhere. I know people who live in places where demoing is non existent. They drive or even fly to places where they can have have changed there minds and actually found other speakers and gear they didn't even consider.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"