X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fredflinstone
    • Nov 2009

CM speakers vs Bose

I used to have RF 52 from Klipsch and I didnt like it very much and I bought couple of CM1s and they sound lively and much better than RF52s. But my friend just came in and said I should have spent a few more bucks and bought Bose instead.

I bought these for 400/speaker in CA.

Please advice.
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

I think you're safe...
    Danish

Comment

• kobestonecold
      • Sep 2007

Bose is a joke hahaha

Comment

• fredflinstone
        • Nov 2009

I know real speakers guys dont like Bose that much, but 800 for just 2 speakers while I can get a surround for 300 more. thats what makes me think twice.

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Fer cryin' out loud-tell your friend he got ripped off and enjoy your B & Ws. Bose does not , and never has , made anything equivalent to a tin can and a string , let alone Bowers and Wilkins. Enjoy your speakers.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• fredflinstone
            • Nov 2009

these CM1 sounds excellent. But cost wise I felt left out.

Comment

• jamesdaman
              • Apr 2008

I had a demo of some Bose gear about a year ago, I can say I was less then pleased. They are the biggest rip off In audio as far as I'm concerned and come no where near b&w, the best Bose you can get still falls way short of the 600 series let alone th cm or above. I think your very safe with the cm1 . Also tell your friend to have his hearing checked lol jks

Comment

• JargonGR
                • Feb 2009

BOSE :toilet:

Comment

• Industrial
                  • Mar 2009

I own a pair of CM1 and they blow away any Bose speaker I have ever heard.
                  Even my 686 series (rears) sound much better. I have a friend who got a bose (costed 3k) sound system. And i found it sounded horrible, my Technics speakers and Yamaha Amp at the time sounded much better. Anyways, he gave that system away hahah.

Yes the above is all subjective.

Oh and $800 for a pair of CM1 is crazy, I paid double that and don't feel ripped off at all. I could see myselfd getting come CM9's or 800 series in the future...

Comment

• WI Rotel
                    • Jul 2006

I bought a bose surround system (AM10) for my vacation home for 750 bucks on special at Sam's. That was 500 bucks off. No, it does not sound good as my 25K 7.1 BW rotel system, but I can assure you my "audiophile" system does not sound 33.3 times better either :roll: (OK, maybe 2x better :W)

Comment

• Dmantis
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jun 2004

Speakers are a personal choice. No one can come over and tell you you made the wrong choice if you listened to the speakers and liked them.

Bose is a good company and make nice speakers. So if Klipsch and B&W. Nothing wrong with any of these brands. It comes down to personal choice. I have Installed all 3 brands many times and made many people very happy. I don't bash any speaker brand due to the fact it's only a personal opinion and means nothing to anyone else. There are plenty of brands I don't care for but I'm not going to judge anyone for liking them.

Your CM1's in my opinion are very nice sounding well built great performing speakers. If you get or already own a really good sub, you have the makings of a excellent double duty system.

Good luck with them.

Comment

• fredflinstone
                        • Nov 2009

I understand but not many people know about B&W as Bose. I know they do very good marketing but at the same time I want to make sure my buy is better.

Comment

• leej
                          • Feb 2009

As far as the Bose being known better, who are you trying to please? If you're satisfied with the sound of Bose, then knock yourself out! If you purchased the CM1's you might/must have preferred that sound?? If you do, don't let someone else's opinion change what you think you like. Just listen and decide, for yourself. My family thinks I'm crazy for spending as much as I have. I only wish that I could afford more. They are Very Happy with thier cheap surround systems, which cost much less than the Bose. But, they are happy with this and I'd never tell them I think it sounds terrible. I don't think they'd even care - They would still enjoy what they like.
                          The point is: Don't let other's opinions sway your choice. Get what YOU like and don't be ashamed if they say that you're crazy for spending so much. or theat their's is better, because they have more speakers for the same money.
                          Of course, if it's all about impressing others, well -you could always survey them, before buying anything.
                          Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
                          B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• fredflinstone
                            • Nov 2009

leej,
                            These speakers sound good, more lively but my concern is this. Are there any other comparable speakers that I can for less? I made a choice after listening to them both also to the 600 series. I felt the CM series was best suited for my music and needs.

Comment

• Dmantis
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by leej
                              As far as the Bose being known better, who are you trying to please? If you're satisfied with the sound of Bose, then knock yourself out! If you purchased the CM1's you might/must have preferred that sound?? If you do, don't let someone else's opinion change what you think you like. Just listen and decide, for yourself. My family thinks I'm crazy for spending as much as I have. I only wish that I could afford more. They are Very Happy with thier cheap surround systems, which cost much less than the Bose. But, they are happy with this and I'd never tell them I think it sounds terrible. I don't think they'd even care - They would still enjoy what they like.
                              The point is: Don't let other's opinions sway your choice. Get what YOU like and don't be ashamed if they say that you're crazy for spending so much. or theat their's is better, because they have more speakers for the same money.
                              Of course, if it's all about impressing others, well -you could always survey them, before buying anything.
                              This is good advise. I want to add a little more.
                              Passion is what drives us. It is what makes us want to listen to a good song or sit down and watch a good movie. The speakers you choose are the ones that please your ears. They are the ones that deliver the sonic delight that drives us to want more.
                              With all that being said , you got good speakers in anyones opinion except those who don't know good sound. I suggest you make a tour of all the audio/video stores you can find and learn everything you can if it really matters to you. There is a whole world of audio out there. Go experience it.

Comment

• 97disco
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Dmantis
                                I suggest you make a tour of all the audio/video stores you can find and learn everything you can if it really matters to you. There is a whole world of audio out there. Go experience it.

This is probably the best thing you can do if you are serious about audio.

I myself only knew of the big box brands until a friend took me to a local dealer and exposed a new audio world I didn't know existed.

Since then I saved, listened and shopped till I set my sites (for various reasons) on B&W.

Do yourself a favor an determine what you like. Remember the masses have been taught by (brilliant) marketing campaigns for decades that Bose is premium audio. The most common question I get from my audio equipment is "How does it compare to Bose?".
                                B&W 704's
                                B&W HTM7
                                B&W DS7's (rears)
                                B&W 850 Subwoofer
                                Rotel RSP 1066
                                Rotel RMB 1075
                                Rotel RDV-1060
                                B&W Zepplin

Comment

• fredflinstone
                                  • Nov 2009

All said and done, marketing is very important. Is there any particular reason why B&Ws are not marketing as well as BOSE? Most of my friends have Bose and they tell me the same thing. I havent heard of BW maybe they are good brands, but I dont see them everywhere. If I need to get another set of speakers, I can sell Bose anywhere because everyone knows it and would buy it than BWs. I think I must accept.

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                    • Mar 2008

More people drive Hondas than Bugattis as well, but that doesn't mean Hondas are better. As other people have said, it doesn't matter what your friends think, it matters what you think. And if they all run Bose, then that's their preference, but it doesn't mean it has to be yours.

Having said that, if you prefer the Bose sound to your B&W CM1s, then you should probably sell your B&Ws and buy Bose. The fact that most people here would disagree with your choice doesn't matter, it's your ears your are using, it's your money you are spending, and it's your enjoyment with these speakers that's important, not anybody else's.

BTW, did you get your CM1s used? They list for $1,500 per pair, so you got a really good deal if they are new. What other speakers did you listen to before you decided on the CM1s?

Also, there are a lot of 5.1 speaker sets besides Bose that you can get for $1,100 or less. None of them will offer you the sound quality of what you have.

What I would do if I was in your situation is to build a 5.1 system around your CM1s as time and budget allows. Yes, you are spending more, but your system will also much better than the Bose option. If you much rather have the 5.1 system now, then I'm sure you could easily sell your CM1s for near what you paid for them on AudiogoN, especially if you bought them new, and then add the extra $300 to buy your Bose "system". Maybe that will make you happy, but after owning the CM1s, I think you'll come to realize that going the Bose route is a serious mistake.
                                    Last edited by KyaDawn; 25 November 2009, 08:29 Wednesday.

Comment

• leej
                                      • Feb 2009

Marketing? When was the last time you saw a B&W commercial? Not for everyone, they don’t fit that market. And as for resale value, check out Audiogon, or EBay and search for B&W. You’ll find that B&W is well known and holds value, well.
                                      If you build a system with the CM's, your friends will eat their words. These bookshelf speakers have surprising lows, but adding a good sub would make a tremendous difference. To be able to afford a better system I bought some used at Audiogon. I just saw a pair of CDM2's as low as $250, which would make a good set of rear surrounds for your system. Way better than Bose, but a new CM's would be even better. The CDM's were an earlier model and come close. You could add center, or use the "Phantom Center," for now. The effect just might surprise you.
                                      Your friends would be so jealous. They'd still tell you that theirs is better and that they paid less, but will wish theirs sounded as good as yours. More than likely, they’re jealous of the CM1's, now.
                                      If you NEED surround sound and have only enough to buy Bose, or some other brand might be a good choice. I'd rather start with something like your CM1’s and slowly build a fantastic system that I'd love for many years. But that’s me.
                                      Just buy the ones that make you happy. If you're looking for other brands, just search the local shops, listen and decide on the quality that meets your demands and budget.
                                      Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
                                      B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• fredflinstone
                                        • Nov 2009

My argument with Bose is just that they have a very good marketing which gives value to their systems. For this reason, their name will go into everyone's mind and so the value of these speakers will not be lost.
                                        B&W is not the same.
                                        I compared CM1s with 600 series and Bose. Bose was more neutral and different. I liked the sound from CM1s because it was brighter and I felt as though the singer was right in front of me.
                                        My worry is that these speakers might loose value faster than Bose just because the community is small. These speakers were marked as floor models for that price. I asked the guy to honor that with a brand new ones and he did since they were the last ones.

Comment

• ray5
                                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by fredflinstone
                                          My argument with Bose is just that they have a very good marketing which gives value to their systems. For this reason, their name will go into everyone's mind and so the value of these speakers will not be lost.
                                          B&W is not the same.
                                          I compared CM1s with 600 series and Bose. Bose was more neutral and different. I liked the sound from CM1s because it was brighter and I felt as though the singer was right in front of me.
                                          My worry is that these speakers might loose value faster than Bose just because the community is small. These speakers were marked as floor models for that price. I asked the guy to honor that with a brand new ones and he did since they were the last ones.
                                          My first HT was a Bose lifestyle. It gave me great enjoyment for 10 yrs. It still works. Now I have moved to B&W and it gives me great pleasure too. The definition of pleasure is very individual and linked to the stage of life you are in personally. Though I enjoy B&W more now I would still not bash Bose because it was a different time, a different need and a different budget. As everyone said above if you like the sound, super. Nothing wrong with that at all. They both have different target groups and marketing strategy. I stumbled on to B&W at a friends house and loved it and the same thing with Bose. It took me years before I could even afford Bose and then several before I could afford B&W! It's all about people's feeling warm and fuzzy deep inside. I felt that when I bought Bose and now B&W. This is an endless discussion. Just go ahead and enjoy some music!
                                          Ray

Comment

• Industrial
                                            • Mar 2009

The Bose marketing thing works. However that's like saying Porshe and BMW cars don't hold good value. Because I have NEVER seen a commercial for them on TV. BUT if I look around here I see a bunch of people driving used/older Porshe and B&W cars around here.

I have had people over who have owned BOSE systems, hear my setup. Which consists of of CM1 for the front, B&W 686 for the rears and a a Mirage 10'' sub. They point and say "that sounds coming from there?!" and are blown away..

But it all boils down to what you like... most people I know prefer the sound of my system to what they have. And the ones who don't/cant hear a differenc actually have hearing problems (can't hear all the frequency ranges) BUT I haven't had hundreds of people over to listen...

Comment

• fredflinstone
                                              • Nov 2009

I think I hit what I was looking for. Its cost vs quality which is very clear with every one of your valuable input. I think for now I see a BOSE 321 for 600 used. I think I will just get that for now and think abt B&W later. But one thing, I felt as though I was there in a concept hall when I turned on the B&W. Also the volume whil watching movies was wonderful. In Bose the volume goes very low and then I have to crank it up and then there comes a crash and it shakes the whole room because the volume was high. This was the experience in my friend's system.

But like I said 2 speakers for 800, I feel I am being stripped down. Maybe when I get more money I will look this way.
                                              I am using a Denon 2307Ci would that have been good receivers for B&Ws?

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                • Mar 2008

Yes, Bose has very good marketing, but you do understand that as a consumer, that's not necessarily a good thing, right?

They have good marketing and they give people the impression that they are "hi-fi" when they are anything but, and because of this "reputation" that they have created with their advertising, they are able to extremely over-charge for their products. I think that is the issue that most people have with Bose, not so much because their products are not so good, but because of what they masquerade themselves as and the high prices they charge.

You should do some reading on Bose before you make your decisions. This page has a lot of good resources and links: http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001749.html

I think for now I see a BOSE 321 for 600 used. I think I will just get that for now and think abt B&W later.
                                                Did you already purchase the CM1s or did you just negotiate the price with the dealer? In your first post you said you just bought them, but now you say you are thinking of getting the Bose. If you haven't purchased the CM1s yet, there are a lot of other options for 5.1 speakers besides Bose, and even less expensive options from B&W. Basically, you have the world to choose from and not just from B&W or Bose.

For your reference, you are aware that the Bose 321 is ONLY two satellite speakers and a sub, not full 5.1 right? So you will only be getting a speaker in the front for the 3 front channels, and a speaker in the back for the 2 surround channels. Plus, the Bose 321 also includes a DVD player AND receiver, so it's basically a HTIB (home theater in a box), but without the full set of speakers for each discrete channel. This is important as basically, you're not only paying for speakers, but for their DVD player (which you may or may not need) AND their receiver (which renders your Denon 2307Ci useless). Given that, you can imagine how much those "speakers" are really worth, and if you are replacing your CM1s with these, you are not only not getting a 5.1 set-up or any additional speakers besides a sub, but you are getting probably a inferior DVD player than what you already have (if the used model you are looking at isn't their latest version with HDMI, it is not even an upscaling player) AND most definitely getting an inferior receiver.

My worry is that these speakers might loose value faster than Bose just because the community is small.
                                                :rofl: Sorry if you're being serious, but this couldn't be further from reality. Please check an audio classifieds site like AudiogoN and do a search for both Bose and B&W. You'll find there are hardly any Bose speakers listed there, mainly because Bose has very little resale value and commands little interest in that market. Do a search for B&W and not only will you see a lot of listings, but you will see that each speaker has held a significant amount of their value.

BTW, didn't you say you live in CA? If so, I'm sure you'll find no problems at all finding buyers for your CM1s, if you ever do want to sell them.

Bottom line, Bose may have a higher profile amongst the mass-market, but B&W is just as well known and significantly more respected than Bose amongst those that understand audio, and those are the people you would be selling to on the secondary market.

Comment

• PavelL
                                                  • Sep 2005

Let me chime in in this one. Like they say apples to apples... Cubes should not be compaired to CMs, 800 series etc. Bose products are not even audiophile they are LIFESTYLE products. If you have space restrictions and want/need sats and a sub then B&W has an elegant and a beautifully sounding alternative to cubes - the M1 speaker. Why would you still talk and think bose?! Paaalease

Comment

• Opus007
                                                    • Nov 2007

Let me give my brief 2 cents here as far as resale value goes.You will not find Bose in a high end audio shop.If you go to a yard sale you will not find B&W speakers there.You will find Bose speakers at second hand stores and yard sales.Why?It's a no- brainer.
                                                    Also if you are getting Bose because your friends all have them then never make friends with true audiophiles as you will never be able to keep up.
                                                    Sound is in the beholders ear.If it sounds good to you then by all means get them.Period.

Comment

• rhinopilot
                                                      • Jan 2009

I understand but not many people know about B&W as Bose. I know they do very good marketing but at the same time I want to make sure my buy is better.
                                                      This reminds me of a time when I was talking with some friends and said, "I want to upgrade the B&W's." To which one friend replied, "You are getting a new car?!"

I actually find it fun to own equipment that none of my friends know about: B&W, Rotel, Pro-Ject, Oppo. It often provides me with a laugh! :roflmao:

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                        • Nov 2004

There's people that want the best sound they can afford...then there's people that hate sound. They buy Bose.

It's funny... whenever someone tells me they have Bose (trying to impress me with their "ELITENESS") I've always said the same thing to them. "I'm sorry to hear that," in the same way you say to someone that just told you their relative died.

It's gives them this completely puzzeled look and they always ask questions afterwards as to why I think that in an inquisitive way. Then I just explain in a not technical way why it is and invite them over to hear my system. I've changed quite a few people by showing them the light. LMAO.
                                                        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                                        -Dan

Comment

• Opus007
                                                          • Nov 2007

Reminds me of a few years ago at work I was emptying the trash at the dumpster.Low and behold there was a pioneer dual cassette deck in the dumpster and a very nice set of Boise speakers. I pulled both out and took them in the office and hooked the speakers up and there was nothing wrong with them.I also tried the pioneer cassette deck out and it worked flawlessly.I still have the cassette deck and threw the speakers back in the dumpster.

Comment

• fredflinstone
                                                            • Nov 2009

I did already buy the speakers but I have 30 days to decide.
                                                            I am not going to get a good Bose review here and am not expecting that either. But they are able to simulate music while B&W reproduces good music.

My room is 10/10. So I dont have space for a 5.1 thats why am trying to compare CM1s to Bose 321. If the DVD player is not good, can I get the 321 without the DVD player for 600? It of course wouldnt be the same but I still feel 800 for 2 speakers are a little too much.

All your inputs are well appreciated.

Comment

• rhinopilot
                                                              • Jan 2009

Fred,

You are right - you probably won't get a good Bose review here. With that being said, before I knew anything about audio I thought Bose was the end-all be-all to speakers and audio technology and loved going to the Bose store in the local mall to demo their stuff. My parents have a 321 Bose system and it works well for them. It is an easy, hassle-free setup and produces decent sound.

Only you can decide what sounds better. I learned from a wise Sage on this forum to take a few CD's you are very familiar with to your speaker audition, in this case to a Bose store or your friend's house. Don't take your friend to the Bose store and try to not let him influence you if you have to go to his house. Listen to the songs you really like and are really familiar with. Listen to them a couple of times. Don't worry about spending too much time there, the salesperson should be willing to answer any questions you have. If you do go to the Bose store try to go during a slow time (will be difficult this time of year) and go to their demo room where they have their top of the line, little cubes. Ask the salesperson to ensure the system is playing only in stereo (only the front left and right) to make an honest apples-to-apples comparison with your CM-1's. I have never seen a Bose store with a 321 demo room, but ask the sales person if they can move one in there and that will give you an even more accurate test.

Sit with your eyes closed and try to get a "feel" for the music. I mean get a sense of what emotions the music evokes. How does it make you feel? Can you imagine the soundstage - where the individual instruments are coming from? Can you hear the individual guitar strings being plucked? Can you pinpoint the location of the high hat cymbals versus a crash or splash cymbal or do they just kind of come from the front somewhere? Can you visualize the singer right in front of you? After listening for a while (over an hour) are your ears fatigued? Are you tired of listening?

After you have done that go home and do the same test with your CM-1's. I would be willing to bet, provided you have them placed well, that the CM-1's will blow the socks off of Bose.

Since this has become a longer post than anticipated, I'll continue with this: Ask the dealer where you bought your B&W's from if they would be willing to come to your house or at the very least talk with you over the phone about your listening room and help you set up the speakers to dial in that optimal listening position. Ask the Bose dealer the same question. Most B&W dealers will help you out with this. I don't know what the Bose rep will say, but I have a guess they wouldn't be as receptive.

At the end of the day, it is really up to you to decide what sounds better and if the juice is worth the squeeze in your budget. If after the test (most guys on here would encourage a couple of listening sessions) you still like the Bose better, then take the B&W's back or sell them to me, my folks could use an upgrade to their 321 system. :W

-Mike

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Nov 2009

Fred,

I have never been a member of this Forum, but rather a reader. After coming across this thread, I felt compelled to join, and provide information that may help you decide what is right for you.

Unfortunately over the last 20-30 years what the average persons expects out of their audio systems has diminished greatly. It used to be quite common for a person in the 70's to go out and spend $800 - $1000 on a stereo audio reciever and two speakers. In todays money that would be like spending $2000 - $3000 on just two speakers and a stereo reciever. People enjoyed listening to quality recordings and in general the average persons stereo system was quite good.

Fast forward to this generation, where the average person listens to low bitrate MP3s on $5 earphones that came with their IPOD and cheap home theater systems are included with almost any TV purchase.

I am 30 years old, and most of my friends have no idea what Hi-Fi should sound like. They are so used to poor quality sound that they have come to think it is the way music should be. This is where Bose steps in and does a great job. In a world where substandard sound is the norm, it isn't hard to impress. Bose makes a sound system that is certainly a step up from what the average person is used to listening to. Combined with good marketing they have positioned themselves as an elite brand to the general public.

Fortunately for us, Bose is not a true audiophile brand. You will never (rarely) find Bose sold with the likes of Tannoy, B&W, Monitor Audio etc. Bose is a mainstream brand available at Best Buy etc.

You have, admittedly, through your own listening said you like the sound of the CM1's. They do sound great, and they are a great entry level audiophile speaker. You have purchased them at a great price, and I do not see you doing any better for $800. If I was starting over, I would be extactic to be where you are. This is the best way to get into the game..

As for retaining your value, I gaurantee the B&W speakers will hold the value far better then the Bose.. B&W are one of the top quality speaker manufactures in the world. They do not advertise because elite speakers don't get advertised. People who are in the market for them know about them. An advertisement is not going to convince a person who is going to buy Bose for $800 to buy B&W for $8,000.. Yes they reach that price and more for two speakers..

Another great example would be amps/recievers.. I am sure some of the best have names you won't recognize (Chord, Classe, Rotel, Bryston etc.). While some of the worst will have names you surely do (I wont mention any).

In the end you have to decide if you are going to put together a real audio listening system, or simply need some sound better then TV speakers. If you are going the route of the real system, you have made a great purchase at a great price and I am sure everyone here will certainly agree.

If you have decided you just want better sound then TV, this is ok too. I would still recommend staying away from Bose because of price. People here will be able to direct you to better performing speakers for the cost of the Bose. I would presonally suggest a Tannoy Mercury F1 setup with a cheap sub.. You should be able to 5.1 sound for less then $1000 since you already have the Denon Reciever and it will out perform the Bose by a significant margin.

Cheers,

Stuart
                                                                Main System:
                                                                B&W 801D
                                                                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                Oppo BDP-105
                                                                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                B&W CM7
                                                                Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• jbreezy5
                                                                  • May 2009

It sounds like you are pretty much experiencing your first taste of hi-fi. While the B&W's at the price you said are an exceptional value, it would be unreasonable to expect you to be able to appreciate why that is. Like with most things new, it might be better to start w/specialty hi-fi at a more affordable price-point, then as your knowledge/experience with audio progresses you will be able to distinguish better why certain speakers are better than others. Also if you jump right-in to these B&W you will have passed a whole range of competitive lower cost speakers. That could leave you feeling dissatisfied w/audio; you won't know the joy of upgrading as a developmental process (depending on your budget, of course).

May I recommend as a better sounding speaker than Bose, a pair of Infinity Primus P162's; you can get them from crutchf*eld.com for $170/pr (ask them which sound better, they sell both speaker brands). And, of course, you can always visit local dealers, to find other affordable brands. You may determine you don't need to spend $800 to be satisfied.

If you really want surround sound in a 10'x10' room, 5 Primus 152's (the smaller bookshelf speaker) will bring you to $375 ($75/ea); add a $200 Infinity PS28 subwoofer and you have better surround sound than Bose for $575. My only question is if you want that many speakers in that small of a space.

And remember, this is supposed to be fun; do whatever you feel most peaceful about. It's your money.

-JBreezy-

Comment

• ac81017
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2006

I did already buy the speakers but I have 30 days to decide.
                                                                    I am not going to get a good Bose review here and am not expecting that either. But they are able to simulate music while B&W reproduces good music.

My room is 10/10. So I dont have space for a 5.1 thats why am trying to compare CM1s to Bose 321. If the DVD player is not good, can I get the 321 without the DVD player for 600? It of course wouldnt be the same but I still feel 800 for 2 speakers are a little too much.

All your inputs are well appreciated.

You should try the Sony 2.1 or even the 5.1 with those tiny tiny little speakers, they don´t take up and space at all, i have a freind with the same room size as you and the sony works a treat!! You can compress the sound to make it sound like your in a real big room instead of 5 speaker being to close and screaming in your ears! Plus with the sony you can get a blu-ray/dvd player built into the system! BOSE, :T No highs, no lows just bose-o´s

Comment

• kmcheng
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2008

Fred,

I am sorry to say this, but I feel that you still need to read up more on hi-fi and audio visual equipments in general. Like another member said, the Bose 321 has inferior speakers, an inferior dvd player, and an inferior receiver. Why anyone would pay any money for any of the three pieces is beyond me. There are definitely better options for each of the pieces at lower prices. For example, Samsung and Vizio are selling Blu-ray players at less than $150 now. Those are definitely much better than the non-upconverting DVD player in the Bose 321.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2003

What do you guys think about ProCinema 600 System as an alternative to BOSE.
                                                                        Fred - This is the B&W Forum. The ProCinema 600 is a Defintive Technology product. You aern't going to get many lovers of that in this forum. And hey its off topic and I'm the moderator and need to maintain forum integrity, truth, justice and freedom for all :W

So I am going to use my moderator powers to move this to the right forum.. Which is here http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...232#post481232 in the main home theatre forum.

Comment

• dan87951
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2005

"All highs no lows must be BOSE" lol

The CM is a hot looking speaker. Just compare the build quality between the two and I think that speaks volumes. If you have a certain budget to work with I would look at the B&W 600 line. I bet a couple sets of 685's and a decent sub would get you taken care of. Or better yet return the CM1's for CM5's and at a later date purchase CM1's for the rears.
                                                                          dan87951
                                                                          audio guru

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jun 2006
                                                                            • 475

I think that you are making the right decision by buying the Bose speakers. All of your friends have Bose systems and you have the notion that you will have better resale because of brand recoognition. You are also getting flack from them and it is bothering you. If you buy B&W speakers, you will be stressed out by how much you spent and depreciation, so go for the Bose. All of your friends will be impressed too. (I am not kidding or being mean, all of your posts suggest that this is very important).

FWIW, I spent quite a bit on B&W Nautilus and Signature speakers and did not loose a cent on them, they actually appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                                                            😀
                                                                            😂
                                                                            🥰
                                                                            😘
                                                                            🤢
                                                                            😎
                                                                            😞
                                                                            😡
                                                                            👍
                                                                            👎
                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                            Search Result for "|||"