General Speaker Cable Question (No Brands)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hammie
    • Oct 2005

General Speaker Cable Question (No Brands)

So, I'm shopping around for speaker cable upgrades (2010 plan). I've looked at a number of companies, including our own Cat Cables (waiting on a custom quote).

I have seen most companies have "High Quality Copper Stranded" cables. However, someone recommended to me to look at a certain brand speaker cable. They look very nice. Prices seem to be on par with others I have seen. the main difference is that they are " silver plated oxgen free copper filaments" cables. Also, the Banana Plugs are "rhodium plated."

Does any of that really matter?

I currently am using DIY cables put together with Monoprice 12/4 cable, Cable Organizer TechFlex and HST.

Thoughts?
    Panasonic TC-P65VT30
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
    Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
    Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
    Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
    My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
    Next Upgrade: Cables
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

FWIW, my experiance is that silver tends to excentuate the HF.
    At least AFA IC's are concerned.
    Personally I would not put silver in my speaker conections.

As for the connetors, I was looking & listening to a meg$ set of IC cables that someone brought to an audio get-to-gether we had this past weekend. When I looked at the connectors, they were the same WBT's that Doug uses for his CatCables.

I've had a few sets of speaker cables in my system, and of them all, my good friend PewterTA's Cat's sounded the best. After I finish my next speaker project, I will be putting Doug's speaker cables in my system.

BTW, all my IC's are Cats, and I absolutly love the sheilded King's that run from my TT to my pre with a mere 2.3 millivolt signal.

As always, JMHO, YMMV
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"