Dayton 7" Aluminum Drivers- Budget Arvo Part?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • intelonetwo
    • Jan 2003

Dayton 7" Aluminum Drivers- Budget Arvo Part?

Since Dayton has come out with these aluminum drivers I have been thinking about using them in an open-air dipole configuration similar to the Arvo Part Project. In a more budget conscience way.

MTM with dayton aluminum drivers, using 2 Peerless CC series woofers per side and the tweeter of choice.

Anybody have any ideas as to the worthyness of the Dayton driver.

The system would eventually be EQ with something like a Driverrack PA or something of that nature.

MI-II-CENTS
    • Aug 2000

Well, maybe...

Probelm to me is the response curve, which takes a pretty serious dip above 1.5 kHz. I'd like to know the reason for that, and what effect it might have on the sound. As is, I'd normally recommend it for a crossover no higher than 1 kHz (which is fine for 600 Hz to RD50 or RD75, for example), but it could be tricky getting it to blend well higher- but then, maybe not. Maybe it could work with a cauer-elliptic filter at 1.25 kHz. Then, the least expensive tweeter to use with it would be a Vifa XT25.

My other concern is sensitivity- these puppies are "rated" at 85 dB/watt, but the curves show more like 83 dB. For a passive (low cost) dipole, depending on the range you cover, you wan to use some EQ with the crossover network, similar to baffle step comp; this implies you need to have some efficiency you can "throw away", since all you can do is attenuate. The M8a is rated at 87, and I see closer to 88 averaged for frequency sweep 100 Hz to 1 kHz. That's about a 4-5 dB difference, not chicken feed.

So, maybe? With the M8a, I have a prototype crossover design with the drivers in series- with this Dayton, they would have to be in parallel, and with the necessary notch EQ network, the overall impedance might wind up being a little low for anything short of an Aragon, Bryston, or Krell!

But who knows?

~Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• intelonetwo
      • Jan 2003

Thanks Jon,
      Yes that dip does look nasty above 1.5 kHz. Does that imply that the driver is ringing?

What is a cauer-elliptic filter at 1.25 kHz? And why would the Vifa XT25 be suited better than another driver to use it with? Excuse my ignorance.

The Dayton drivers look interesting because of the price, but in the end I ended up going with the Peerless CSX 850122 Mid-Woofer, 6.5" mid-range driver and 2 Peerless CSX 850136 8" Woofers along with a Vifa or Morel tweeter.

MI-II-CENTS

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

See the speaker on the stand in the lower right hand corner in the Sept issue of AudioXpress?

Well here's a bigger version of the same picture

A thread about the speaker (cauer filters and the XT25) is located here

Pick up a copy of the magazine for more detailed info

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"