X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sfdoddsy
    • Sep 2000

ETF v True RTA bass accuracy

I've been playing with my newly plugged DPL12 in an EBS Shiva box sub, and doing in-room measurements using both pink noise and TrueRTA and the low frequency measurement in ETF 5.

While the results are generally similar, there are differences. Any ideas which is likely to be most accurate?

The measurements tend to look better when done with ETF, ie flatter, but since I am EQing with a BFD it would be nice to know which is closer to absolute correctness.

Cheers

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
    Steve's OB Journey
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

True RTA doesn't use MLS or conventional time gating. It will be representative of what is happening where ever the mic is...

I'd suggest two points-

one, do some nearfield measurements of each source with True RTA, to see what the inherent driver/cabinet response is-

two, measure at listening positions, and adjust listening position and speaker position FIRST before trying to use room EQ.

BTW, trying to compensate for a room null with EQ is a lost cause- you're just pumping watts into a cancellation point.

For conventional LF sources, RPG Acoustics Room Optimizer software allows simulation of the room and speakers (as does CARA, other programs), and allows you to do a lot of "what if" without any heavy lifting. Will be valid for any monopole sources.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• sfdoddsy
      • Sep 2000

Thanks Jon, I've done all the moving and positioning stuff. I'm just tweaking the actual LFE sub from the listening position and I was just curious whether MLS or RTA would be more accurate.

It sounds like the ETF is more accurate to my ears, but that could just be me.

Cheers

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
      Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

ETF does true MLS so it's more 'accurate'.

Just make sure that use use a proper amount of gating time for LFE. LFE gating windows are longer than those used for higher frequencies. It's a tough balance to get long enough gating times for an accurate measurement without getting too much of the 'room', so experimenation is in order

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"