Rotel 15 series Class D into 800 series, should I add more?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WelshOne
    • Jan 2009

Rotel 15 series Class D into 800 series, should I add more?

Hi All,

I currently have a 1575 powering 803D, HTM2D and 805S. I feel the sound is immensely powerful, detailed, and will go as loud as im comfortable with. Im considering building a new HT room so just factoring a budget?

Is it worth adding more 15 series class d amps to this set up, i.e. another 1575, or maybe two 1572's for example? Or would it be a waste of cash? Im paranoid by constantly reading that the 800 series need power and are 'transformed' when done so?

If you were going to do this, how would you configure it for for the best possible performance.

Finally, who here has compared a rotel 15 series class D amp against something high end, like classe /mcintosh or similar? Are the differences night and day? Ive never heard, and am probably unlikely to get a home dem of such equipment as there are no dealers near me.

Thanks for any feedback!
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I'm using a 1575 with a pair of 802D's, HTMD2 and SCMS’s and I'm quite happy with it. As you say, its powerful, detailed, and about as loud as you'd want. 200/250 watts is probably about right for the 800 series in a medium sized living room.

It’s a good idea to use the same power and gain for the front three, so you’d be looking at rb1091/1092 in the next power bracket from Rotel. I tried this combination (with a 1070 for the rears), but it wasn’t as musical as the 1575 which I’m much happier with (uses later modules). I also replaced 3 boxes with one, which reduces the amount of clutter in the living room.

There are lots of posts to be found comparing Rotel Class D amps with something more expensive. The move up to Classe or McIntosh is obviously going to be an improvement, but its quite a step up in price. If your main use is home cinema, the extra "quality" would probably not be so apparent watching old movies. However, a shiny new 100lb amp is on my dream list too, I know its "better", I just can't justify it – yet! YMMV.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• WelshOne
      • Jan 2009

Haha, yes there is something about having a 100lb shiny amp in the room isnt it!! 8)

Thank you for the reply, its interesting you have the bigger 802d's and its also doing a great job with those!

I'm finding rare opportunity these days to sit down and really listen to music, something which I need to keep in the back of my mind when looking at upgrades?

Have you ever tried or considered adding another 1575, or say biamping the 802d's with a 1572?

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"