X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wildmda
    • Jan 2009

802d vs 803s comparison

could someone tell me what I would hear diffently between and 802d/htm2 combo vs 803s/htm3 combo?

And, is there anything that the 803s/htm3 combo does better than the 802d/htm2?

Thanks for your help,
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

wildmda,

Other than lower price and the 803S's are smaller, there is nothing the 803S/HTM3 combo will do better than the 802D/HTM2D combo.

This would be pretty expected given the price gap. Every part of the big combo would be better. The clear highs with the diamond tweeters. Absolutely superb midrange from the marlin head. And deep bass.

One other thing to consider is that the 802D's love current. The more you throw at them, the better. What would you drive these combo's with?

Hope this helps.

Comment

• wildmda
      • Jan 2009

htsteve,

I have rotel 1095 and 1090... I would like to upgrade. What you recommend and how much would it cost?

thanks for you help,

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

wildmda,

Those are very nice amps and for me, a very good scenario for the 802D/HTM2D setup. The 1090 is high current monster and the 1095 would drive the centers and surround quite nicely.

Your amps are similar in practice to what I have. I have Mac amps. I have a high power 2 channel amp for the 802D's (like the 1090) and a 5 channel 200 watt amp for the center and surrounds (like the 1095).

My recommendation would be to leave the amps alone for now and get yourself the 802D/HTM2D combo. That would be quite a setup.

What are your rears speakers? Pre-amp? Sub?

Hope this helps.

Comment

• wildmda
          • Jan 2009

htsteve,

Thanks for all the help. My sub is an asw855. It gets weak from here.. 3808 Denon receiver.. and 685s in the back.

I am out of town right now and am now thinking the 1090 is a 1080 rotel... how might that change your thoughts on powering the 802d?

Thanks again,

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

wildmda,

A 1080 vs. a 1090 won't affect my recommendation too much. It still is a powerful stereo amp. That is a better set-up than running off of a multichannel amp for the 802D's. I owned a 1080 once, it is a very nice amp.

If the choice is between 803S/HTM3 and some upgraded amps vs. 802D/HTM2D and the 1080/1095 combo, that is not much of a choice to me. 802D's/HTM2D wins easily.

If you can do the 802D/HTM2D and have some budget left over, the pre-amp the the next place to deal with.

The 685's are fine for the rears (for now). The sub is quite nice. The pre-amp/processor is definitely the spot to look at next.

Hope this helps.
            Last edited by htsteve; 19 November 2009, 10:01 Thursday.

Comment

• ninja12
              • Mar 2007

I completely agree with htSteve. Going from 803S/HTM3S to 802D/HTM2D, you will notice a difference in everything. I just did that upgrade from the 803S/HTM3S to the 802D/HTM2D, and I do not regret it for a second. I am getting exactly what I expected in the sound quality. The soundstage is wider and cleaner.

Comment

• wildmda
                • Jan 2009

Thanks all.

One last question, what preamp and amps would you match with the 802Ds/HTM2s when I move up from the Rotels I have?

Thanks again for the great help!

Comment

• htsteve
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

wildmda,

For now, I think your amps are fine. The item needing upgrading is the pre-amp. Just like speakers, I tend to like the same brand in electronics. The synergy is hard to beat. With that in mind, I would suggest the Rotel RSP1570. All the HD audio decoding, very nice two channel, and good video. This would be a very nice match with the amps and be a BIG jump in performance from the Denon receiver.

If you are considering moving up from Rotel to something else, you are likely looking at McIntosh, Classe, Krell, Bryston, etc. These offer superb performance, but they are expensive to get. Best thing to do is audition them.

I would get the 802D/HTM2D and Rotel pre-amp and live with them for a while. That would be a very nice system.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• ray5
                    • Dec 2008

wildma,
                    I have the combo you are looking for. To give you a bit of a background, started researching from the 600 series, then listened to 700 series liked them a lot. I made the mistake of listening just for fun the 802D and the effect was mind blowing even to me who is a complete novice at HT! I would say the heaviest investment should be speakers first and then amps. You could/should do it in steps or you'll be breaking your bank! I have the 1570, it is great except some very small hiccups. I power the 802D'S with Rotel 1092 and the HTM2D with 1091 and the rears 804S(I was thinking of these as my fronts!! God.... these dealers are good ay getting your juices flowing!!!) with the new 1572. The combo is awesome!! I did listen to Macs but not Classe as I really needed to curb the madness and avoid alimony also!! I feel it is money saving in the long run to get what you really like and want instead of upgrading quickly after acquiring the toys. So audition all combos and buy what you like AND want. If there is any doubt whatsoever it will be bad as in a couple of months or weeks you will start suffering from upgraditis!! Enjoy.
                    Ray

Comment

• wildmda
                      • Jan 2009

Than htsteve and ray.

Comment

• wildmda
                        • Jan 2009

Thanks htsteve and Ray.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"