X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WelshOne
    • Jan 2009

Two room options for 803D/HTM2D/805S-Advice pls

Hi All,

I have the above set up, with various components, but for power the amp is the Rotel 1575. Sub is a 12" sealed Sunfire.

Currently the kit is housed in the living room (A), which is

A) 4.7m (L) x 3.3m (W) x 2.3m (H) Flat plaster board ceiling, x2 of the walls are partition, the other brick cavity, with dob and dab plaster board all round. Window at rear wall. I currently sit approx 3.2m away from the front speakers, and the 803Ds have 1.8m distance bewteen them, and approx 0.5m away from side and rear walls. Wood flooring, leather 3 piece suite. One of the chairs obstructs the left 803D bass drivers. Plasma on wall. Very little scope for acoustic treatment and no other layout configurations.

B) 3.9m (L) x 2.8m (W) x 3.1 (H) ( at highest point, scandanavian style roof) x2 of the walls are Brick cavity, the other has a double patio window, the rear wal is open plan into kitchen, so would consider fitting another double patio window to seperate. This room I can have more or less carte blanche to do what I want with it, as it 'could' be MY room :twisted: This room is an extension to the house, so will hopefully benefit people internally from noise, but could filter out to adjoining neighbours?

So given the above dimensions and relative restrictions, which would you go for?

Or to summarise, Room A with less than perfect seating arrangement, minimal acoustic treatment, or the much smaller Room B, with freedom of seating layout and potential DIY acoustic treatment options.

Bearing in mind the associated cost of running new mains spurs, plastering, fitting glass patio doors internally to seperate room from kitchen etc etc?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
  • WelshOne
    • Jan 2009

Here are some pictures, although the living room layout has changed slightly again. All kit is now at the back wall, plasma on wall, HTM2D on top of rack.

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

Well, I'm not sure of your details, but personally I prefer a more private room that I have a little more 'control' over. Not only control in regards to soundproofing and acoustical treatments, but also to keep curious hands off of some very expensive toys!
      Brad

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

I tend to agree with Brad in my preference for having a little bit more control over things. The room may be smaller but if you deaden it sufficiently, your kit (which is top notch) should be able to provide you with superb quality sound.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Comment

• WelshOne
          • Jan 2009

Cheers guys.

So you wouldnt percieve any notable loss in scale/soundstage etc going to a slightly smaller room then?

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by WelshOne
            Cheers guys.

So you wouldnt percieve any notable loss in scale/soundstage etc going to a slightly smaller room then?

I agree with the others. I built a dedicated HT room last year that is in between the sizes of your two rooms. Having control of the room is important. And you can treat the room to be quite excellent.

BTW, I am running 802D/HTM2D/804S in that size room and it sounds wonderful. The soundstage is profound and is definitely bigger than the room would suggest.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• emig5m
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Blindamood
              Well, I'm not sure of your details, but personally I prefer a more private room that I have a little more 'control' over. Not only control in regards to soundproofing and acoustical treatments, but also to keep curious hands off of some very expensive toys!
              This is EXACTLY why I don't have my system in the living room but in a little multimedia room I made out of a bedroom that I can keep people locked out of. I think I'm just going kick everyone out and start remodeling the living room for a dedicated theater room and then keep it under lock and key, lol. :lol: Freakin' niece just loves to use TV screens as a drawing board with crayons!

Comment

• WelshOne
                • Jan 2009

Great, thanks guys. Im just looking for some reassurance that going into a smaller room will not ruin the performance of these speakers.

Its going to require some planning, and I have no idea on budget yet. So many things I want and now so little spare cash :cry:

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"