X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ray5
    • Dec 2008

802D and Granite bases

Hi!
    I have seen some guys use granite for 802D bases. Could you guys tell me your experience and post some pictures or the thread they are on? I searched but did not come across the picture I was looking for. Would any of you be willing to point me towards who you got them from and the dimensions so I could order some also? Thanks.
    Ray
  • Hammie
    • Oct 2005

I thought that I remember someone just getting a 24x24 granite floor tile from their a local home improvement store.
    Panasonic TC-P65VT30
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
    Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
    Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
    Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
    My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
    Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• jericho
      • Dec 2004

I use granite bases and the spikes with Harmonix, the bass is a lot better!
      You can buy those things where people buy gravestones

Regards

Comment

• ray5
        • Dec 2008

OK. Thanks.
        Ray

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Also, visit or call local granite fabricators. They will have remnant pieces that might fit the bill.

Comment

• timjclark
            • Apr 2009

What is Harmonix?

So, you put the granite on the floor and then set the speaker on it's spikes on top of that? That sounds very interesting since I have faux wood floors and need to do something about spiking.

What kind of price have any of you paid for a granite remnant?

Thank you, Tim
            -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
            -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
            -Rotel: RSP-1069
            -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
            -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
            -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• ray5
              • Dec 2008

They are pretty pricey. I went to a fabricator. a 2' by 2' by 1.5" is about $150!
              Lowe's has 2' by 2' by 1/2" but special order, min a box of 5 at 216$.
              Ray

Comment

• JargonGR
                • Feb 2009

I had these built specifically for my speakers

I did not actually pay anything for them since I am into construction and I buy several marbles from them but anything from 250-500 Euros or more for the routing and cutting too would not surprise me.

Comment

• ray5
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JargonGR
                  I had these built specifically for my speakers

I did not actually pay anything for them since I am into construction and I buy several marbles from them but anything from 250-500 Euros or more for the routing and cutting too would not surprise me.
                  Thanks. Do you know what thickness cork and felt you used? And do you find it relatively easy to move them around with the speakers on them?
                  Ray

Comment

• JargonGR
                    • Feb 2009

The cork is 5mm and the felt cloth was bought from a super market as a cards playing tablecloth.

My floor is oak wood but it has a mat finish on it so it is not very slippery, however the felt cloth facilitates this a lot with a bit of effort.

As you can see on the pictures the granite plates have a trench around them which I purposely asked for so I am able to move the speakers on the plate without worrying of dropping them down. I have ofc retained the steel balls on the 800Ds and in case of accidentally moving them on the plate more than I should the balls will stop by the trench.

I hope this helps

Comment

• ray5
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JargonGR
                      The cork is 5mm and the felt cloth was bought from a super market as a cards playing tablecloth.

My floor is oak wood but it has a mat finish on it so it is not very slippery, however the felt cloth facilitates this a lot with a bit of effort.

As you can see on the pictures the granite plates have a trench around them which I purposely asked for so I am able to move the speakers on the plate without worrying of dropping them down. I have ofc retained the steel balls on the 800Ds and in case of accidentally moving them on the plate more than I should the balls will stop by the trench.

I hope this helps
                      Thanks, it does. I found a company here that sells industrial grade felt and cork in sheets. This gives me an idea and so I won't overdo it.
                      Ray

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"