X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

Is 805s good for a medium sized room?

I'm currently thinking about changing my speakers back to B&W for my HT system, but the problem is that I'm always moving around. The room size for the system is always changing. My current room is 14ft by 27ft, which is a medium sized room and was afraid that the 805s as L&R will be too small for the job. I don't always listen at ear piercing volumes, but do like to turn it up a bit every once in a while. I read from some other posts that the reason why B&W offer so many different models in the 800 series is that, each model is designated for a particular room size. Will the 805S as mains, and HTM4S as center be too small for a medium sized room? I know I can always upgrade to bigger speakers at a later time, but I do want the 805s to work in my current room as well. Thanks for any feedback that you can provide.
  • emig5m
    • Aug 2008

Get a decent powered sub and you should be good. My 685's where prime with my Sunfire Singature EQ - it was unnoticeable that I was using bookshelf speakers with the sub. Played nice and loud too. Using the sub I think will increase the power handling of the bookshelf speakers since they wont have to produce deep bass and should be able to play louder and cleaner. I would be using bookshelf speakers too after hearing what my 685's could do with the sub, but I really like the added openness of the FST midranges that I don't think I could easily give up after being used to that level of midrange clarity and openness. I wish I would of went with bookshelf speakers with a nice sub first and never got a chance to experience the FST mids, heh.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
      • May 2004

so you're suggesting me to go up to at least the 804s? I'd love to have the FST drivers too, but I'm just trying it imagine how well it would do in a smaller room? I am currently using a SVS pb12+2, don't see the need to upgrade unless I can afford one of the JL subs.

Comment

• emig5m
        • Aug 2008

No, I was suggesting that you should be fine with the bookshelf speakers as long as you use a powered sub and that I was almost content with using bookshelf speakers but switching back and forth between the FST and non-FST driven speakers I couldn't give up the added midrange clarity that the FST provides. They're just more open sounding.... like looking through a bigger and more open window vs a peep-hole. :rofl:

Comment

• Hammie
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by BlazeMaster
          so you're suggesting me to go up to at least the 804s? I'd love to have the FST drivers too, but I'm just trying it imagine how well it would do in a smaller room? I am currently using a SVS pb12+2, don't see the need to upgrade unless I can afford one of the JL subs.
          I have 804's in a 11x15 room and feel they perform very well.

I also agree that your sub is very well equipped to support the bass of any speaker you choose. I'm running an SVS PB-12NSD with my 804's.
          Panasonic TC-P65VT30
          Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
          Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
          Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
          B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
          Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
          My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
          Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

BlazeMaster, when I lived in Miami, one of the living rooms were about that size (I think 25' though... can't remember the exact size), and I never felt the 805s were too small. At that time, I had it powered by a Parasound 205watt amp, and matched with a Velodyne SPL-R800 sub. It never failed me whenever I had large number of people over (like BBQs) and playing lots of music. Just my own experience.
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Glenee
              • Aug 2006

I have used them in a main system with a JL Audio Phathom F112.
              Very Good Indeed

Comment

• sskim
                • Sep 2007

I'm currently using 805s with SVS PB12-plus in a room similar in size to yours (15' x 24') and as others have said, they are definitely not small.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                  • May 2004

Thanks for all the input, you guys are the best.

Comment

• boarder1995
                    • Sep 2009

I've been auditioning lots of speakers, including multiple visits to B&W dealers. I'll usually take it a bit easy when listening loud during auditions - especially to bookshelves. But, when the dealer/saleguy comes in and cranks the 805S up while being pushed by Mac 500w monoblocks and goes way beyond what I'd call safe for such a small speaker, I'm amazed at the clarity and lack of driver compression I think I should be hearing. This was in a decent sized room - not quite your size, but totally dead with room treatments, so when it was loud, it was all speaker and not reflections, etc. Man, they are such capable little gems even running full range.

Comment

• Charlieu
                      • Oct 2008

I'd recommend the 804s. They will provide a fuller sound without having to crank them up to reference volume. If your room shrinks, they will fit right in with their small footprint.

I'm using 805s for my surrounds. When I first bought them, I put them up front just to see how they compared to the 804s. At my normal listening level, they sound small. The FST and two bass drivers gives the 804s a smoother, more coherent sound. I have a PC Ultra 13 filling in the low notes.

Comment

• boarder1995
                        • Sep 2009

Charlieu,
                        You've got the 804S with an Ultra13? They blend well with music? How do the 804S do without the sub for classical music, etc.? Any thoughts on going up to the 803S, or in your opinion is the 804S the sweet spot for gaining the benefits of a tower versus a bookshelf without costing a bunch more to get the 8" drivers in the 803? Ok, sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm in a similar room (ok a fair bit smaller, but open) and am currently shopping. Thanks.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                          • May 2004

boarder1995
                          I haven't heard the new 803S before, but have heard the older 803 in a huge room with opening to even bigger parts of the show room and the previous 803 did really well in that huge room. That was before the new generation 803S and 803D was available, so I can't really comment on that. I believe the general suggestion is that, if the 804S can't fill your room, you should consider moving up to the 803D. Personally I find that most people with smaller rooms go with the 805s or 804S. The next move up would be the 803D and 802D. Personally I think that the 803S don't offer as much more from the 804S, at least not as much as the 803D would for the 804S. You also have to consider how much more you're willing to pay for the 803D and all the supporting amplification would cost. I think that 805 and 804S will do me quite well for most medium sized rooms, if the 805s comes with the FST drivers, then I wouldn't even consider the 804. I think I'll go with the 804S when that option becomes available for me.
                          As far as the SVS subs goes, I personally find it to blend very well with my current mains(Klipsch speakers and I used to have to the 600S3 series, and 700s speakers as well.) Personally, I think the placement of the sub is very important on making it blend with the mains, but because of SVS huge size, it may be hard to put it anywhere you want. I usually only listen to rock, hip hop and R&B, so my criteria for bass may be different from yours, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                            • May 2004

boarder1995
                            I haven't heard the new 803S before, but have heard the older 803 in a huge room with opening to even bigger parts of the show room and the previous 803 did really well in that huge room. That was before the new generation 803S and 803D was available, so I can't really comment on that. I believe the general suggestion is that, if the 804S can't fill your room, you should consider moving up to the 803D. Personally I find that most people with smaller rooms go with the 805s or 804S. The next move up would be the 803D and 802D. Personally I think that the 803S don't offer as much more from the 804S, at least not as much as the 803D would for the 804S. You also have to consider how much more you're willing to pay for the 803D and all the supporting amplification would cost. I think that 805 and 804S will do me quite well for most medium sized rooms, if the 805s comes with the FST drivers, then I wouldn't even consider the 804. I will go with the 805s and HTM4 for mains and a 805 for the rear. If I move to a bigger room, I'll look into getting 804S and HTM3S as mains.
                            As far as the SVS subs goes, I personally find it to blend very well with my current mains(Klipsch speakers and I used to have to the 600S3 series, and 700s speakers as well.) Personally, I think the placement of the sub is very important on making it blend with the mains, but because of SVS huge size, it may be hard to put it anywhere you want. I usually only listen to rock, hip hop and R&B, so my criteria for bass may be different from yours, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Hammie
                              • Oct 2005

I am running 804s's with an SVS PB12-NSD sub and feel they blend very well together. I have only been using the sub for HT ans keeping it "real" for my 2-channel listening. I feel the 804s's do very well in my room (11x15) without the need of a sub.

I do, however, plan on moving to the 803D's someday, but for now, the 804s's are more than satisfying me.
                              Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                              Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                              Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                              Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                              B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                              Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                              My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                              Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

I'm currently thinking about changing my speakers back to B&W for my HT system, but the problem is that I'm always moving around. The room size for the system is always changing. My current room is 14ft by 27ft, which is a medium sized room
                                I don't call this a mid size room! What is your ceiling height?

It all depends on Room Volume. It seems 805 would be small indeed unless you use 7 of them with four subs like JL Audio Fathom F113:T
                                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Charlieu
                                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by boarder1995
                                  Charlieu,
                                  You've got the 804S with an Ultra13? They blend well with music? How do the 804S do without the sub for classical music, etc.? Any thoughts on going up to the 803S, or in your opinion is the 804S the sweet spot for gaining the benefits of a tower versus a bookshelf without costing a bunch more to get the 8" drivers in the 803? Ok, sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm in a similar room (ok a fair bit smaller, but open) and am currently shopping. Thanks.
                                  The sub blends very well with the 804s. I have to keep the sub active for music. While my square footage is similar to the OPs, my ceiling slopes up to a second story. When I had the 804s in a 11X15X8' room, I could run them without the sub and I would wonder why some say that the 804s are "bass shy".

As Wettou says above, the OP doesn't have a medium size room, it's actually pretty large. I'm going on the assumption that he is in the same situation I was in with a limited budget and having to pick the best solution possible.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                    • May 2004

Originally posted by Charlieu
                                    The sub blends very well with the 804s. I have to keep the sub active for music. While my square footage is similar to the OPs, my ceiling slopes up to a second story. When I had the 804s in a 11X15X8' room, I could run them without the sub and I would wonder why some say that the 804s are "bass shy".

As Wettou says above, the OP doesn't have a medium size room, it's actually pretty large. I'm going on the assumption that he is in the same situation I was in with a limited budget and having to pick the best solution possible.
                                    Quite right, the current room is larger than most medium sized rooms, but I'm thinking ahead in the future. If I ever move everything to a smaller room. "Limited budget" is the story of my life.

Comment

• emig5m
                                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Charlieu
                                      When I had the 804s in a 11X15X8' room, I could run them without the sub and I would wonder why some say that the 804s are "bass shy".
                                      I'm with you on that. I've read some user reviews that said the 804S where too lean in the bass but they sound nice and full to me. I can even play rap music and boom and feel the bass from them without a sub. Some people might of left one of the jumpers off one of the speaker terminals. :rofl:

I'll put it to you guys this way, I came from 15" 400 watt Cerwin Vegas that are 102dB efficient and I personally measured them with a SPL meter at 125dB at full tilt at 7 feet away. If anyone is going to complain about being too lean in the bass, it should be me before anyone else, lol. :lol: No, the 804 wont play at 125dB like my old Vegas could, but they will play loud enough you can't hear your own voice which leaves plenty of headroom over normal/comfortable listening levels (not to mention the sound quality is in a totally different league).

Comment

• Charlieu
                                        • Oct 2008

Quite right, the current room is larger than most medium sized rooms, but I'm thinking ahead in the future. If I ever move everything to a smaller room. "Limited budget" is the story of my life.
                                        If your limited budget can stretch to the 804s, I stand by my recommendation. Their footprint is actually smaller than an 805s on a speaker stand. Matched with a sub in a large room, you are probably looking at similar sound quality as an 803s. To have a significant change in sound, you would have to move to a diamond. The entry to this level is $9K which to me is real money and could be better spent elsewhere to improve my quality of life. (One of these days though....)

Just in case you haven't.... Make sure you get out and audition other brands. There are a lot of choices available for the same or less than you will pay for a pair of 804s. For me, the solid enclosure and unique styling became the deciding factor in choosing B&W.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                          • May 2004

Yes, to be honest, I haven't heard too many other brands, but I really like the quality and looks of the 800s. What other brands do you suggest for 90%movies, and 10% of music consists of mostly rock, hip hop and r&b?

Comment

• emig5m
                                            • Aug 2008

Yes, to be honest, I haven't heard too many other brands, but I really like the quality and looks of the 800s. What other brands do you suggest for 90%movies, and 10% of music consists of mostly rock, hip hop and r&b?
                                            I've even heard from non B&W owners that B&W's are one of the best at pulling double duty for both music and movies. I personally think you can't go wrong with B&W regardless what you're using them for.

Comment

• Charlieu
                                              • Oct 2008

I don't want to pollute this excellent forum with discussions of other brands, so I'll just tell you the method I used. First I did a lot of reading in the AVS speaker forums to get an idea of all the brands out there and to see what their current owners liked about them. Then I went to the manufacturers website to look at tech specs and used Google to get an idea of prices. The fun part was finding dealers in my area that carried the various brands, grabbing a few CD's and going for a listen. The process takes time, but at the end, you can be confident that you have found the best speaker for you.

In your case, I'd take a movie or two with me. Considering that your AV usage is mostly movies, I wouldn't write off some of the other B&W speaker lines either. I agree with you, the quality and looks of the 800 series is really hard to walk away from. (I couldn't) Throw in the fact that they have excellent sound and it's a great package. The drawback is that a portion of the money you are spending is just for the B&W name.

Comment

Working...
                                              😀
                                              😂
                                              🥰
                                              😘
                                              🤢
                                              😎
                                              😞
                                              😡
                                              👍
                                              👎
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"