upgrading CM-9's to 804s (color choices)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aquaanox
    • Feb 2007

upgrading CM-9's to 804s (color choices)

Currently have the gloss black CM-9s. Thinking about upgrading to 804s (cant afford others). Any thoughts on colors ? Could someone post pics of 804s in rosenut, black, n walnut please so i can photohsop a side by side comparo ? much appreciated. thanks in advance.
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

aquaanox,

Send me a PM with your email address. My rear speakers are 804S's in rosenut. But the pictures are too big to fit on here.

Comment

• Hammie
      • Oct 2005

You can look at my HT pics here . I also have Rosenut.
      Panasonic TC-P65VT30
      Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
      Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
      Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
      B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
      Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
      My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
      Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• emig5m
        • Aug 2008

I had a hard time deciding on color, heh.

Originally posted by louhamilton
        You can look at my HT pics here . I also have Rosenut.
        ^^ This guy's pics is what sold me on Rosenut for my 804S. The dealer had cherry which honestly looked primo in person, much better than in pictures. I've been kinda liking black myself lately which is ironic because I always used to hate black speakers. But with the 600 series that has black front panels regardless the wood color, I thought black was the best for the 600's.

My room is nowhere near as clean and elegant as Louhamilton's and most others on here, but this is just temporary until I move my system into the living room later on after remodeling...for what it's worth, here's my Rosenut 804S:

Comment

• Hammie
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by emig5m
          ^^ This guy's pics is what sold me on Rosenut for my 804S.
          Thanks, emig5m. I did not realize I had such an impact on you getting the Rosenut. Thanks again for the compliment on the room.
          Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

Hi louhamilton,

the Rosent is best color for aserie 8. I had a 703 in black, after 803s always black but with the 803D i have purchased all in Rosenut (great) with the Htm2D.

for the CM9 I prefer the black painted: the rosenut on the CM9 (CM serie) is not the same like in the serie 8.

Style

Comment

• Dmantis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2004

I'm curious about the upgrade. Do you not like the CM-9's? I find them to be extremely close in performance to the 804's. For the price difference I'd rather buy a better amp or something.
              I have listened to the Cm-9's and felt they where amazing. So warm and open. Over a year ago I was shopping with a friend of mine and we listened to the CM-7's, it was my first time with them. I was shocked and amazed how damn good they sounded. For that kind of money I almost just took them home on pure principle. I was not in the market for new speakers.

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

Hi,

I agree with Dmantis.

the cm9 is a speaker with price / performanca without concurrent!!!
                ...and if with go see that in next year with go have a new 800 serie : louhamilton,
                don't wasted your money for nothing.
                in a HT serie the CM9 wil give a lot of safisfaction!!! the kit CM9,cmc2 and cm7 as rear wow :T and $$$ vs. a 804s,htm3s...

go read the annexe in this forum, the CM9 is one of the better B&W never made?!?!

Style

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

louhamilton:
                  read this one:

:T

the CM9 is really a very great speaker.

wel, this is MY OPINION!!!

Style

Comment

• MikeFL52
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by style
                    louhamilton:

Style
                    This was also my understanding.

I am a little surprised that you (aquaanox) would be upgrading so quickly from a CM9 to an 804S, not that the 804S isn't a great speaker. I might have just stayed with the CM9s for a little while and seen how the line up of B&W speakers comes out within the next year.

Comment

• emig5m
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Dmantis
                      I'm curious about the upgrade. Do you not like the CM-9's? I find them to be extremely close in performance to the 804's. For the price difference I'd rather buy a better amp or something.
                      I have listened to the Cm-9's and felt they where amazing. So warm and open. Over a year ago I was shopping with a friend of mine and we listened to the CM-7's, it was my first time with them. I was shocked and amazed how damn good they sounded. For that kind of money I almost just took them home on pure principle. I was not in the market for new speakers.
                      Hell, I would even say the 683 is kinda close to the performance of the 804S ('close' is subjective). I doubt that the every day joe who listens to TV and movies through the TV speakers or HTIB would even be able to discern the differences between the 683 and 804S if put to the test to a non-audiophile (this is how close I think they really are - but there are noticeable differences to me or else I wouldn't have bought them). I have never listened to the CM9 (never had interest in them) but just out of curiosity, since they have the tweeter in the cabinet and the 804S has the tweeter outside the cabinet, do the CM9 give you that more of a "3D" effect like the 804S does over the 683?

Comment

• Hammie
                        • Oct 2005

louhamilton:
                        read this one:

Style
                        Link is broken.

Not sure why this is addressed to me because I never put the CM series down, but I'd still be interested in reading about them.
                        Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• Dmantis
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by emig5m
                          Hell, I would even say the 683 is kinda close to the performance of the 804S ('close' is subjective). I doubt that the every day joe who listens to TV and movies through the TV speakers or HTIB would even be able to discern the differences between the 683 and 804S if put to the test to a non-audiophile (this is how close I think they really are - but there are noticeable differences to me or else I wouldn't have bought them). I have never listened to the CM9 (never had interest in them) but just out of curiosity, since they have the tweeter in the cabinet and the 804S has the tweeter outside the cabinet, do the CM9 give you that more of a "3D" effect like the 804S does over the 683?
                          I'll start out by saying the 804s is an amazing speaker no matter what. They have a way of getting you closer to the music.
                          The CM-9's are shockingly good. The 683 does not hold any candles to the CM-9 let alone the 804s. The 683 is not as smooth or have that "wall of sound" like the 804 does. The CM-9's do.
                          It's not something to explain , it's something you need to go out and experience. The CM-9's are so damn good I see no reason to have the 804's. It's not as big as the upgrade as the amount of money it costs.
                          I have been listening/Installing B&W speakers for many years and these new CM-9s just blow me away. They are the most balanced b&W non 800/N series speakers they have ever made. The older CDM9NT where close but these are them done right.

Comment

• btf1980
                            • Aug 2007

Personally, if you are going to spring for the 800 series, go all out and go for the diamond, because frankly, once you get the 804s, the 803D will be in the back of your mind.
                            A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• style
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Feb 2006

Link is broken.

Not sure why this is addressed to me because I never put the CM series down, but I'd still be interested in reading about them
                              Strange...

if you will send my a mail "normal" a pdf and work well!!!
                              and is very, very interesting!!! (940kb)
                              Style

Comment

• style
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2006

[EMAIL=http://www.audiogamma.it/news.php?codnews=180&page=1[/EMAIL]

try with this link...

I hope is Ok.
                                Style

Comment

• MikeFL52
                                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by btf1980
                                  Personally, if you are going to spring for the 800 series, go all out and go for the diamond, because frankly, once you get the 804s, the 803D will be in the back of your mind.
                                  I agree.........but.............

My upgrade path was:

B&W DM5 ---> Accoustic Research AR92s ---> B&W CM22s ---> CDM7s ---> N804s ---> 803Ds

I actually still have the DM22s (my son), CDM7s (my daughter) N804s (bedroom) & obviously the 803Ds

There is some benefits to incremental upgrades:

1) Most wives (or partners) would not agree to jumping in to $10,000 speakers straight off, but once you convince them that there is something better than the speakers in the TV they are usually willing to listen to that next step and so on.
                                  2) passing on the older speakers to the children makes the next purchse more palatable and it also means that I get to listen to (or watch) my choices (most of the time).

Comment

• aquaanox
                                    • Feb 2007

Hi louhamilton,

the Rosent is best color for aserie 8. I had a 703 in black, after 803s always black but with the 803D i have purchased all in Rosenut (great) with the Htm2D.

for the CM9 I prefer the black painted: the rosenut on the CM9 (CM serie) is not the same like in the serie 8.

Style

Agreed, i first purchased the CM-9 rosenut, and then switched them to gloss black. The rosenut finish on the CM series is drastically different from the 800 series.

Comment

• aquaanox
                                      • Feb 2007

Guys - thanks for the responses so far. Some background here, this is for a 2 channel music only.. / vinyl and CD only setup, not for HT. For HT, i have a set of gloss black Quad's that im very happy with. My upgrade path so far for music has been - 683 > Cm-7 > XT > CM9 .. I love the CM-9's but want to change them for the following reasons -

1) They are somewhat lacking a bit on the bottom end, mids are awesome, but low end bass is just a bit behind when compared to the 800's. There is also a difference in soundstage and overall tonality when heard side by side -- and i dont want to add a sub. I have a 2 ch synthesis tube amp which i love and dont intend on changing.
                                      2) the 804s is a bit more balanced, and slightly more efficient than the cm-9.. that should also help my 15 wpc amp .. which btw is more than enough power, and delivers unbelievable sound (ive owned them all - rotel, sansui, macintosh, krell) and have been most happy with the tube.
                                      3) The CM series is assembled in China, the current 800 series is made in england - and im sure when they revise the new 800's, not only will they be more expensive than the current line, but im sure some outsourcing to China or somewhere will happen to cut costs.
                                      4) the 800's are their top of the line line, tried, tested and refined over the years.

I think im sold on the rosenut 804s and will be ordering a pair today/tomorrow.
                                      Last edited by aquaanox; 17 November 2009, 23:45 Tuesday.

Comment

• aquaanox
                                        • Feb 2007

btw. the 804s in rosenut are on order. If the new 2010 800's are better, look good, are still made in england, i will trade in again next year. My dealer lets me trade up as long as they newer pair is more expensive (even if its $100 more).

Comment

• aquaanox
                                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dmantis
                                          I'll start out by saying the 804s is an amazing speaker no matter what. They have a way of getting you closer to the music.
                                          The CM-9's are shockingly good. The 683 does not hold any candles to the CM-9 let alone the 804s. The 683 is not as smooth or have that "wall of sound" like the 804 does. The CM-9's do.
                                          It's not something to explain , it's something you need to go out and experience. The CM-9's are so damn good I see no reason to have the 804's. It's not as big as the upgrade as the amount of money it costs.
                                          I have been listening/Installing B&W speakers for many years and these new CM-9s just blow me away. They are the most balanced b&W non 800/N series speakers they have ever made. The older CDM9NT where close but these are them done right.
                                          I completely agree that the 683 is no match to the CM-9.. I was at a freinds this weekend and i guess i have spoiled ears, but the 683 simply did not have the clarity or the soundstage of the cm-9. The upgrade to the 804s is is for various reasons - some that dont make any financial sense

Comment

• ray5
                                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by aquaanox
                                            Currently have the gloss black CM-9s. Thinking about upgrading to 804s (cant afford others). Any thoughts on colors ? Could someone post pics of 804s in rosenut, black, n walnut please so i can photohsop a side by side comparo ? much appreciated. thanks in advance.
                                            I have mine in natural cheery. They look great. However, I think black is a universal color and integrates with most decors and future upgrades. To match black will be easier in the future than cherry. The lighter the color the harder it gets. But the cherry looks beautiful by themselves though! I personally did not like the rosenuts. I have been told that over time the cherries mature and turn a bit darker and warmer. But this is a very personal choice. Enjoy hunting, that is the best part till you actually get them!
                                            Hope this helps.
                                            Ray

Comment

Working...
                                            😀
                                            😂
                                            🥰
                                            😘
                                            🤢
                                            😎
                                            😞
                                            😡
                                            👍
                                            👎
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"