• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

Lame quasi-DIY idea

OK, so I was thinking - dangerous, I know. :LOL:

You can buy a Swans 6.1 (formerly Diva 6.1) system for $1300/pair brand new from Audio Insider. Cheaper if you shop used on Audiogon or E-bay. (Edit: just checked Audiogon under "Diva" and they're going for about $800 used.) So what do you get for your $1300? Well, you get almost $400 worth of HiVi M8 bass drivers. And you get those beautiful curved Rosewood and piano black enclosures. Everyone who has seen them has said the finish is world class. I know I couldn't build a pair of them for $900 if I charged anything for my time. So then the so-so mid and tweet are throw-aways. Replace them with, say, a Seas mid and a Seas/Vifa/Hiquphon tweet and you might have something really good sounding and really beautiful for a reasonable price. The HiVi tweeter might even be okay but that F6 mid has just got to go. Look at the impedance curve and it's about as ugly as I've seen around 1K.

Just thinking too much on a boring day....... :LOL:

• JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Actually, a kind of interesting idea.

You're right about the mid, it's a POS. Tweeter isn't a whole lot better.

One issue is midrange to midwoofer sensitivity.

If someone "commissioned" me to do this, I'd probably use an M6a for the midrange (it's about the right efficiency, considering baffle step on the paired M8a's), and the mediocre 3 mm Xmax wouldn't be a factor.

Tweeter's a little harder to decide- how about turning down a custom translamination module for the tweeter to sit in where the present one goes, and if you really want to get righteous, go with a ScanSpeak D2904/6000.

If you can tolerate a bigger tweeter module, I'd prefer to see the D2904/98000- gives you a little more flexibliity with the crossover, given it's low resonance.

Crossover points would be an interesting question, as you'd be better off using the big drivers to handle the baffle step rise. That would indicate a highish crossover, no lower than 600-650. But, it could be an asymmetric style crossover, like Wilson uses; then the 6" could be cut in around 150 Hz at 3rd order (use small chamber to give 2nd order not far from that), then taper off the 8's in a shallow curve from 150 to 650, and really kill them above that- like I'm going to do with my rebuilt X1's when the M12s are available.

For the mid to tweeter Xover, I'd go with my Cauer/elliptical filter, at 1.5-1.75 kHz. No higher, so you can keep out of the problem areas with the 6.5" M6a.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

Looks to me like the Seas W18EX has similar sensitivity to the F6. It might give you more crossover flexibility than the M6 due to the higher breakup resonance.

About mounting the tweeter, you can buy solid plastic or plastic-covered wooden balls in about any size/color/finish you might want. Think billiards, bowling, croquet, etc. I've seen tweeter-size ones pretty cheap on the internet. Bore the ball out for the tweeter and you'd have a nice low-diffraction enclosure.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

You've got the idea, Dennis.

:idea: Tell you what, I'll do the crossover design for you, and simulate it in LSPCAD. When do you think you can have them built and finished? :LOL:

~Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

Uh-oh..... looks like I've been challenged to put my money where my mouth is. Me and my big mouth. :wedgie:

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"