X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bnieman
    • Jun 2006

How to replace a dented B&W CM-4 speaker tweeter diaphragm

I just replaced my CM-4 tweeter diaphragm and thought others may benefit from my experience.

Here are my modified directions from Eric at B&W on how to disassemble the tweeter:

1. Remove grille, remove the 6 silver posts that the grill attaches too. Simply unscrew these with a hex style screw bit.
    2. Once removed, the silver aluminum plate will come off.
    3. Next you will see 4 screws which secure the tweeter plate to the cabinet.
    4. Remove these screws.
    5. Next take a 90 degree pick tool (like a dental tool) and very gently pull off the tweeter. (I found it easiest to pull from one of the screw holes. It has a tendency to want to stick in there, but if you pull forcefully but carefully it will come loose)
    6. Once you have it half way out, disconnect the white molex connector. This will free the tweeter unit completely from the cabinet.
    7. Next twist the tweeter free from the diaphragm front plate. You will see the slots you need to line up with to free the front plate, twist until the slots line up.
    8. Then you will see 3 more screws holding the diaphragm to the magnet.
    9. Remove and replace with new diaphragm.

The whole process took me about 15 minutes.

After following the directions I was able to remove and to pop out the dent in my damaged tweeter diaphragm. After popping it out the only difference visually is some slight discoloration where the dent was. I can't even see any indentations whatsoever, just discoloration. I would speculate after popping it out it would sound just like new again but I ended up putting in the new diaphragm since I already paid for it and went through all the trouble. For anyone else out there in a similar situation I would try taking apart the tweeter and popping out the diaphragm from the back side before spending money on a whole new part.

When the tweeter was dented, I could hear audible distortion during pink noise test tones. It gave the sound a disorientating tin-y sound

Part ID: ZC12688
    CM4 Tweeter Diaphragm
    Price: $50.68
    Freight to Wisconsin: $10

Cheers,
    Bryan
    Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows
Working...
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍
👎
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"