X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oddiophile
    • Jul 2008

800D deal: Should I take it?

Hi,

My dealer offered me his demo pair of 800Ds at $19,500 Cdn. At the same time someone offered me $4,000 Cdn for my N802s. The dealer has offered to broker the deal at no cost.

Is this a good deal?

What is the normal retail of the 800Ds? (preferably in Canadian $)

I did listen to the 800Ds (with the same Classe CA-M 400s as I own) when I made the 350 mile trip to visit my dealer and was suitably impressed. If I get them, I will have the 800Ds in the front, I will move my 802Ds to the side and that will complement the HTM1D that I already have as my Centre channel and the 805Ss that I have for the rears and the 2 ASW855 subs. I also have 3 Classe CA-M400s across the front and 2 2200s for the rest. I will be installing a new Classe SSP-800 tomorrow.

Jim
    Thanks in advance for any advice or comments. I would like these as soon as possible as time is fairly short on this deal.
  • KRC
    • Aug 2004

I am not sure if it is a good deal or not as I am running 703's and 600 series for the rest, but it sounds like you are working into an awesome system, I would hate to see your electric bill though, that is alot of amplification.

Kevin

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Oddiophile
      Hi,

My dealer offered me his demo pair of 800Ds at $19,500 Cdn. At the same time someone offered me $4,000 Cdn for my N802s. The dealer has offered to broker the deal at no cost.

Is this a good deal?

What is the normal retail of the 800Ds? (preferably in Canadian $)

I did listen to the 800Ds (with the same Classe CA-M 400s as I own) when I made the 350 mile trip to visit my dealer and was suitably impressed. If I get them, I will have the 800Ds in the front, I will move my 802Ds to the side and that will complement the HTM1D that I already have as my Centre channel and the 805Ss that I have for the rears and the 2 ASW855 subs. I also have 3 Classe CA-M400s across the front and 2 2200s for the rest. I will be installing a new Classe SSP-800 tomorrow.

Jim
      Thanks in advance for any advice or comments. I would like these as soon as possible as time is fairly short on this deal.

I'm curious to know how much of a difference 802's make for side speakers? Do they really justify themselves, or is it more or less doing it because you can? no offense meant.

I'm in the current dilemma of having 802N's that I would have to sell before replacing them. I could basically steal a pair of 802d's that are used, but would require me to sell the 802N's. I'm not sure how easy that will be. I feel sort of trapped into them now. I know they sell on audiogon, but shipping them will be a huge obstacle. It might be one of those, sell them while the opportunity is there, as they will only continue to depreciate and be harder to move later.

as for 802d's for sides, I'm in a different tax bracket (or four or five) from you, so I can't even ponder having that as an option. Honestly seems like a large expense for little return though.

your dealer is probably trying to sell the 800D's while the oven is hot, since there is talk of replacing them. He'd take a huge hit on them if they were no longer current. Because of that though, I think you have more room for negotiation. does this price include delivery and pickup of the speakers? I think you can maybe knock him down another $1000. you know what they say? a bird in the hand...
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Oddiophile
        • Jul 2008

Sikoniko,

I come from a Lexicon MC-12B setup where the side speakers are actually quite important, especially with Lexicon's bass enhancement feature which results in a more envelopping sound. Indeed, there is considerable research done by Lexicon's former wunderkid Dave Greisinger to strongly suggest that the side surrounds are extremely important in a surround system. Apparently in concert halls, it is the lateral (side) reflections that are the most important contributors to that "presence" that we feel at a live event. Side speakers with usable bass down to at least 40Hz are considered the best solution.

As far as shipping goes, that is under negotiation but I will bear in mind your (useful comments). Also, there is a minor repair that needs to be done to one of the 802Ns and the dealer has already agreed to take care of that hassle for nothing.

Thanks again for your comments and good luck with your situation.

Jim

Comment

• Antus
          • Apr 2008

i think N802 is a great value of money. I think you can sell them well over $4Kcnd. i would guess in the $6K range if there are no scratch on them. You can sell them locally, for $4K, i am sure it will be gone in no time.

800D is definately better than 802D, but does the improvement worth the price differences would be debateable. If money is not an issue, i would say wait for new series (which rumered to be 40% more expensive) I would think the new series will have meterial improvement in sound quality over the current model.

another thing to consider is to bi-amp the speaker. for the same money, i actually think Classe 2200 biamped sounds better than Classe M400. of course u can kick it up an notch by using 2 Classe M400 biamped. since u have both amp at home, u can try them out.

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
            • May 2008

Canadian Retail for the 800Ds is $25 or 26k I believe...
            Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• Oddiophile
              • Jul 2008

Hi all,

Well, I ended up taking the deal for the 800Ds today. They should arrive early next week.

I followed your advice and got a slightly better deal including the shipping. I also got a bit more for my N802s than I expected.

Thanks again to everyone for their help/comments/advice.

Jim

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                • May 2008

Welcome to the club...you are going to love them!!! :T
                Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• Oddiophile
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
                  Welcome to the club...you are going to love them!!! :T

Thanks,

I am really looking forward to them. I heard them in Edmonton on Oct. 29-31 using the same CA-M400 amps that I have. I was very impressed with the bass control. In turn, this control helped with both the midrange and the highs. Also, I thought that the soundstage was quite wide compared to the 802Ds; I rather liked this.

Now if I could only get some of the bugs ironed out of my new Classe SSP-800... (Please feel free to comment on that thread in the Club Classe section.

Jim

Comment

• ShadowZA
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Hi all,

Well, I ended up taking the deal for the 800Ds today. They should arrive early next week.

I followed your advice and got a slightly better deal including the shipping. I also got a bit more for my N802s than I expected.

Thanks again to everyone for their help/comments/advice.

Jim
                    Congratulations! An excellent choice. I have no doubt that you are going to be real happy with your 800D's. Enjoy! :T

Comment

• Eliav
                      • Jul 2005

Thanks,

I am really looking forward to them. I heard them in Edmonton on Oct. 29-31 using the same CA-M400 amps that I have. I was very impressed with the bass control. In turn, this control helped with both the midrange and the highs. Also, I thought that the soundstage was quite wide compared to the 802Ds; I rather liked this.

Now if I could only get some of the bugs ironed out of my new Classe SSP-800... (Please feel free to comment on that thread in the Club Classe section.

Jim
                      HI Jim
                      I have just replaced my 802d with a new pair of 800d. I think the imaging capability of the 800d is superior to what I had experienced with 802d. the lower end was a bit reserved for the first few hours,yet after a short break in time, their lower end is just amazing; deep, precise, I would dare to say unmatched. I think you will enjoy them immensely !

Eliav
                      :T Socrat

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

Now if I could only get some of the bugs ironed out of my new Classe SSP-800... (Please feel free to comment on that thread in the Club Classe section. Jim
                        What bugs?
                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"