X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jyj
    • Dec 2008

802D New or Used?

Hi Everyone -

I need your opinions. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and purchasing a pair of the 802Ds. If I go the used route, I believe it could be a great value and the savings would allow me to make additional upgrades to the center and surrounds. Besides Audiogon, what other resources could I use to obtain a used pair?
    On the other hand, if I buy new, I know exactly what I'll be getting, but will be paying a premium. I just may have to postpone the additional upgrades to the center and surrounds for a few months. Can you tell me the advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks in advance!

Jerry
  • vinylmeister
    • Sep 2009

Go for troubleless new ones, and with the right amp you wont need a center or surrounds for your HT. I got rid of the center and surreounds and only use the stereo also for DVD's and it sounds fantastic
    Marantz SA-11S2 -> Cardas Golden Presence -> Classe CP-500 -> Cardas Quadlink -> CA-2200 -> Cardas Quadlink -> B&W 802d

Comment

• Freddie40
      • Jun 2009

I totally agree with vinylmeister.
      Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• MikeFL52
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by vinylmeister
        Go for troubleless new ones, and with the right amp you wont need a center or surrounds for your HT. I got rid of the center and surrounds and only use the stereo also for DVD's and it sounds fantastic
        For stereo music it might be true, but to get the full surround involvement you need at least the surround channels. It is true that you can produce a "phantom" center and get pretty good sound.

To the OP I would always go for the new, but that is just me. Dealers sometimes release their demos for sale so that might be a route to go. As I mentioned above if you want the involvement brought by surround you willl want the other speakers at some time so don't go into this thinking that you will not have to face the extra cost in the future

Comment

• jyj
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by MikeFL52
          For stereo music it might be true, but to get the full surround involvement you need at least the surround channels. It is true that you can produce a "phantom" center and get pretty good sound.

To the OP I would always go for the new, but that is just me. Dealers sometimes release their demos for sale so that might be a route to go. As I mentioned above if you want the involvement brought by surround you willl want the other speakers at some time so don't go into this thinking that you will not have to face the extra cost in the future
          I'm currently running Anthony Gallo AdivaTi's with a TR200 sub. So, I do have a 5.1 set-up. This just means I would replace the centers and the back surrounds a little bit later. Also, I have a Rotel 1069, RMB 1077 and an RCD 1072 that I believe would go great with the 802Ds.

Thanks!

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
            • May 2008

I've had great luck on A'gon...though i review people's ratings and usually communicate with them to get a feel for who you are dealing with. Obviously it is not as safe as buying from a dealer, but if the deal is right, it can offset the risks!
            Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• ninja12
              • Mar 2007

I bought used 802Ds from Audiogon. However, I purchased mine from a dealer that had a rating on 4k plus. I also drove to the dealer, and I was able to demo them before I made the actual purchase. I have had them for about 6 months now, and I am very pleased with them. I got such a good deal on them that I am now in the process of upgrading from my HTM2D to a HTM1D. Good luck to you either way you decide to go on your purchase.

Comment

• emig5m
                • Aug 2008

The problem with buying used speakers is the same as with buying a used vehicle - it can be a hit or miss. The thing about speakers is that they're normally the first thing in a system to get damaged or tinkered with from a do-it-yourself-er. Another thing I don't feel comfortable with is buying a speaker that's had multiple owners (I see a lot of people buy used speakers on Audiogon just to try them out and then resell them). Who knows how they where treated? Where they ever over-driven, tinkered with, modified from factory specs, etc.? I hate it when I see a speaker selling for $8,000USD that has scratches, nicks, multiple owners, etc.etc.

Now I'm not totally against buying used, my Sunfire Sub is used from Audiogon, but I choose what and who I buy from wisely. Normally I'll only buy locally where I can inspect in person. I also try to make sure the unit isn't much over a year old (two years max for me). For example, the 803D I went and looked at from an Audiogon seller had them only for one year, bought them brand new from an authorized dealer, and they sat in an unfinished home theater room in the basement that didn't see much traffic and where obviously barely ever used since the owner really didn't have much interest in them or finishing his project. They even smelled brand new - they where pristine from top to bottom and I would imagine they didn't even have the time on them for a full break-in.

These are the types of items I look for when buying used - but those speakers selling for multiple thousands with scratches, nicks and dings, multiple owners, etc... I stay away from. You can even find some brand new in the box where the owner had buyers remorse, change of plans, etc.. I was looking at buying a set of 804S's that where one month old, the guy decided he wanted to step up to the 803D, but I wound up getting such a good % off brand new that it made no sense buying used. One nice thing about brand new is - you know what you got. It hasn't been abused, tampered with, scratches, etc...

Comment

• jyj
                  • Dec 2008

This is all great advice everyone. Thanks!

I do have an additional question, though. If I get the 802Ds and use them for the L+R front speakers, which Center channel would you recommend? I have a unique requirement where the center speaker speaker must be in wall or wall mounted above the TV. In other words, the TV is mounted above the fireplace.
                  I'm looking at the FPM series or perhaps the CWM as a possible solution.

Your thoughts please?

Comment

• Hammie
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by jyj

I do have an additional question, though. If I get the 802Ds and use them for the L+R front speakers, which Center channel would you recommend? I have a unique requirement where the center speaker speaker must be in wall or wall mounted above the TV. In other words, the TV is mounted above the fireplace.

Your thoughts please?
                    The problem will be timbre matching across your front sound stage. You will have diamond tweeters for the L/R's and a standard tweeter for the center. If I had to choose an in-wall for you, however, I would suggest the CWM 8NT.
                    Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                    Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                    Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                    Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                    Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                    My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                    Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Dmantis
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jun 2004

If you can find a great condition used pair, go for it. new is always the way to go no matter what, they are new. I like new.

Comment

• mjb
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jyj

Your thoughts please?
                        Imaging is so good from the 802d's, you might even get away without a center. I'd try it without first and see how you get on...
                        - Mike

Main System:
                        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• vinylmeister
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by mjb
                          Imaging is so good from the 802d's, you might even get away without a center. I'd try it without first and see how you get on...
                          I fully agree, try it first without a center and ensure that your dvd-player is setup correctly to handle the sound output to a stereo amplifier correctly. :T
                          Marantz SA-11S2 -> Cardas Golden Presence -> Classe CP-500 -> Cardas Quadlink -> CA-2200 -> Cardas Quadlink -> B&W 802d

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

I fully agree, try it first without a center and ensure that your dvd-player is setup correctly to handle the sound output to a stereo amplifier correctly. :T
                            Use the Signature 8NT and turn it horizontally same as 802D:B

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• hifiguymi
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2007

The Signature 8NT is most like the Nautilus 804. It doesn't have Rohacell woofers and it uses the older FST and tweeter.

Eric

Comment

• sikoniko
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                The Signature 8NT is most like the Nautilus 804. It doesn't have Rohacell woofers and it uses the older FST and tweeter.

Eric
                                I was quite surprised that it did not get updated, but stayed as a current product. I have heard good things about it though.
                                I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                  I was quite surprised that it did not get updated, but stayed as a current product. I have heard good things about it though.
                                  I'm surprised it hasn't been updated as well, but there must be a reason. It does sound very good though. In wall speakers have inherent disadvantages but the Signature8NTs are quite good.

Eric

Comment

• audiofiel10
                                    • Nov 2009

Go for troubleless new ones, and with the right amp you wont need a center or surrounds for your HT. I got rid of the center and surreounds and only use the stereo also for DVD's and it sounds fantastic
                                    Why are all ya so worried about buying 2nd's???

Comment

• jyj
                                      • Dec 2008

Update: 802D New or Used?

I appreciate all the advice for options! I recently went to my dealer and auditioned a pair of the 802Ds and was totally blown away!! The Mrs. has stated a preference for color and wants to go listen this weekend and close the deal. This is all good news, right?? BTW - I believe it would be prudent to go ahead and get the sub ASW825 or ASW855 as well.
                                      I believe the plan for the Signature 8NTs is an excellent alternative for the center. Should I consider this as a priority over the sub?
                                      BTW - Since I have the 1077 and I'm only using a 5.1 set-up today, I thought I could bi-amp the 802Ds to provide more punch!! More to follow...Thanks everyone! ;x(

Comment

• wettou
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • May 2006

Originally posted by jyj
                                        I believe it would be prudent to go ahead and get the sub ASW825 or ASW855 as well.
                                        Yes

Originally posted by jyj
                                        I believe the plan for the Signature 8NTs is an excellent alternative for the center. Should I consider this as a priority over the sub?
                                        Yes

Originally posted by jyj
                                        BTW - Since I have the 1077 and I'm only using a 5.1 set-up today, I thought I could bi-amp the 802Ds to provide more punch!! More to follow...Thanks everyone! ;x(
                                        5.1 any day over 7.1 unless you put good speakers in the back
                                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• yourtoys7
                                          • Feb 2006

If $ is not an isue, buy new. For used I would only buy if I could visual look at them and hear.
                                          Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
                                          PSB T6,
                                          Velodyne SPL 1000R
                                          Rotel RSX-1057
                                          Rotel RB-1070
                                          OPPO 103
                                          Apple TV
                                          [

Comment

• jyj
                                            • Dec 2008

I wanted to let everyone know that I ordered a pair of new 802Ds from my local dealer with an ETA of next week! My next step is to upgrade my cables. Not sure if I should go with 12 gauge or 14 guage. My run is about 20ft. I'll be bi-amping and wanted to terminate on banana plugs. BJC has a Canare 4S11 Cable that would work well for this application. Does anyone have alternate suggestions for cables?

Thanks.

Jerry

Comment

• Hammie
                                              • Oct 2005

Definately go with 12AWG, especially for longer distances. I has 12AWG for all 5 of my speakers. My fronts are 8 feet, center is 4 feet, and surrounds are ~30 feet.

I'm considering getting other cables and have been recommended to someone on eBay, but I need to wait until after the new year.
                                              Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                                              Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                                              Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                                              Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                                              B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                                              Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                                              My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                                              Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Antus
                                                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by jyj
                                                I wanted to let everyone know that I ordered a pair of new 802Ds from my local dealer with an ETA of next week! My next step is to upgrade my cables. Not sure if I should go with 12 gauge or 14 guage. My run is about 20ft. I'll be bi-amping and wanted to terminate on banana plugs. BJC has a Canare 4S11 Cable that would work well for this application. Does anyone have alternate suggestions for cables?

Thanks.

Jerry
                                                for 20 feets, i'd use something thicker than 12GA, maybe 10GA or 9GA. If you are bi-wiring, u can use different gauge cable for bass and mid/high. 10GA for bass and 12/14GA for mid/high.

Comment

• jyj
                                                  • Dec 2008

Great, I appreciate the advice.

Comment

Working...
                                                  😀
                                                  😂
                                                  🥰
                                                  😘
                                                  🤢
                                                  😎
                                                  😞
                                                  😡
                                                  👍
                                                  👎
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"