X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaakan
    • Dec 2002

Pulse Width Modulation amp

Has anyone played with Pulse Width Modulation Power amps aka Digital/switching amps? This is some sick(cool) tech from what I have read so far.

http://www.lcaudio.com is one DIY for this type of amp.
    http://www.lcaudio.dk/com/zp21mateng.pdf sometech info

here is a review on Sharp's $15k version that has a DSD/SACD digital input.

• JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

IMO, the most robust commercial implementation is the Crown K series; Gerald Stanley's push-pull inductor topology is inherently very robust, as their is no chance of a cross conduction or shoot through in the power stage.

All Class D amps have some difficulties with frequency response in the top end, becuase the output filter network necessary for integrating the HF pulses also results in a relatively high and typically non-linear output impedance. In the AES paper I wrote in 1991, I described some computer optimization methods for using cauer-elliptic filters to get a steep cutoff with a frequency response that varied less with load impedance in the audio range. That's what led to my interest in elliptic filters for more general purpose applications, including loudspeaker crossover design.

One of the best sounding Class D amps by some recent reports is the ICE Power series from Denmark, which are used in some B&O equipment. PS Audio also has an amplifier which some music lovers like pretty well, at a moderate price.

Regardless of what the power stage does, the input and signal processing stages are very important to ultimate sound quality, and often where class D designs fall down. I'm a bit of a luddite these days, as I really prefer non feedback analog designs for the most part, like the Ayre Acoustics, BAT Audio, and Theta Digital, as well as my own (as used in my last DAC). So, these days I'm not experimenting much with Class D- I would if I had more spare time, but that's become my most difficult commodity to acquire! So I have to prioritize.

What about you?

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"