X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • perla4u
    • Apr 2007

Used Sub Woofer - ASW 800 or ASW 700?

Folks,

I am in the market for a used Sub woofer and a quick look at audiogon, I found 2 Subs that are in my price range. A used ASW800 and an used ASW700 (actually 700 price is 150$ more than 800 in the listing). Any other better subs in B&W line? I do see ASW825 for sale but for double the cost of ASW800. Does it really worth the difference? Also, would either of them any better? I heard ASW750 would be a better choice over ASW700.

Price Quoted: ASW800-Black ($600) & ASW700-Cherry ($850).
    Note: I have B&W 703 Cherry.

Well, I was just looking at B&W subs in audigon and I am sure members here have better favorites (velodyne/Rel/HSU etc). There is no specific reason why I chose B&W subs other than comfort factor and I do not know much about other companies. I was one of the lucky ones as this WANT came from the better half so all ready to go :-)

I am running B&W 703 with Rotel RSX 1055 receiver. Consider this sub for 50/50 movie/music experience. Appreciate your help in highlighting which would be a better choice for my system.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Perla
    Last edited by perla4u; 23 October 2009, 12:40 Friday. Reason: price addition
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

Are you sure you're getting the ASW800 for only $600? Even in used prices, that's a bit low. If it's true, I'd go for it without hesitation.

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

The woofers that are on Audiogon are 800ASWs not ASW800s. The ASW800 is from the Nautilus 800 Series and the 800ASW is from the Matrix 800 era and $600.00 for the 800ASW is about right.

It's been a long time since I've listened to the 800ASW so it's tough to say which one would be better. I think the ASW700, and the ASW750, are really good sounding woofers. They are very fast and have a real solid bottom end. If the ASW700 is in really good shape, I think it's around a $750.00 to $800.00 woofer, not $850.00. That is just my opinion however.

Eric

Comment

• perla4u
        • Apr 2007

Wow, I would have never known had I not posted the question here. Thanks a bunch Hifiguy. I was confused of why a later series is cheaper (ASW800 vs ASW700) that 700 never realizing its the older model. I would skip this for good.

Comment

• perla4u
          • Apr 2007

Hi Hifiguy

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same. While I was waiting for expert opinoin, I was doing some research on this forum for 700 vs 750 vs 800. Looks like lot of folks recommended ASW750 over 700/800. I found 1 ASW750 in auction in ebay (just started and going at 500$ bid, but I am sure it will hit at least 900 to 1000$). What do you think would be a good price for ASW750 (used and in good shape)?

ASW700 thats listed in A'gon is actually in Cherry color which matches my 703 fronts. Should I look for 750 instead? Not too sure how different 700 vs 750 sound?

Originally posted by hifiguymi
          The woofers that are on Audiogon are 800ASWs not ASW800s. The ASW800 is from the Nautilus 800 Series and the 800ASW is from the Matrix 800 era and $600.00 for the 800ASW is about right.

It's been a long time since I've listened to the 800ASW so it's tough to say which one would be better. I think the ASW700, and the ASW750, are really good sounding woofers. They are very fast and have a real solid bottom end. If the ASW700 is in really good shape, I think it's around a $750.00 to $800.00 woofer, not $850.00. That is just my opinion however.

Eric

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

An ASW750 in good shape, I would think, should be around $900.00 or so.

Between the two, the ASW750 and ASW700, is mostly in output. The ASW750 can play a little louder and has more power in the very bottom octave. I think the ASW700, ASW750, ASW825, and ASW855 are all very under rated and I think you would be happy with any of them.

Eric

Comment

• BlazeMaster
              • May 2004

No offense, but I actually find that most of the subwoofers that B&W makes are very over rated. There are easily better subwoofers from companies like Velodyne and JL with much bigger price tags. If you want better bang for the buck, look into SVS. You can get a used one for a little more than your budget, if you can find a used one it will be even cheaper.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

SVS woofers may sound OK and play loud but not everyone wants to give up that much floor space or see a tall cylindrical column in their room. Some people like having a sub that has the same wood veneer and cosmetic as the rest of their speakers. I honestly think that B&W woofers sound very good and are the right woofers for some systems.

We all have our likes and dislikes and that is what makes the world go around.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"