X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JustMusic
    • Oct 2009

Experience with B&W 801D

I want to ask anyone with a B&W 801D speakers how have been his experience? Are they better or same as the 800Ds? I have the 802Ds and I want to up grade my system with better speakers. I need more soundstage and bass. My room is just 6x5x2.5 meters (LxWxH).

My B&W dealer in Chicago told me that the 801D has a very big bass driver that make it not so fast, tight and as good as compared to Wilsons or 800D!!!

I have auditioned the new WilsonAudio Sasha, Martin Logan Summit X, PMC PB1i, but to be honest I prefer the 802Ds. Not sure if I should go for the 801D or 800D or Wilson Audio Sasha.

My music preference is JAzz Vocal, Orchestra, Jazz, Opera.

All the best, Thank you!!
    B&W 802D, Classe CA-M400 Amplifiers, Bryston BDA-1 DAC and BP 26 DAC Preamplfier, MacMini Music Server, Onkyo CD CHanger, 2 APC H15 Power Conditioners.
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

800d is in another league from the 802d. If you can afford it i say jump.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

I will say that the 801D is a hummer, no word.
      Better of the 800d? different. Personaly I prefer the 801....

With Orchestral, classic music the 801 can be not the better solution!
      (the midrange will be a hole somewhere in the frequ.).....

Sorry but the Sasha is / have a very differend sound vs. the B&W!!!! is very different.
      the 801/800 have a bass hummer, the WilsonA. sound very different: the Sasha sound much more "soft" on the whole spectrum of frequencies with a different rhythm than the B&W.
      Comparing apples and pears is not simple: they are clearly different
      both good but different....

Style

Comment

• PavelL
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by MM1-MZ1-P7
        The 800D's are the best speakers B&W have ever made, trust me I know :W
        then you should know that the FST driver used in 800 series is a compromise solution, it is NOT a piston-drive unit. Just read the 801, 800 white paper. Unfortunately there is only one no-compromise speaker in the extensive B&W range.

Originally posted by MM1-MZ1-P7
        Forget the 801's, even Abbey Road has changed to 800D
        Due to obvious reasons pushing 801 as the best B&W speaker is insane. Before the introduction of 800 801 was always considered as "a true audiophile choice" (read "the insane guy who does not mind the look and the sheer size of these monsters"). Of course it does not make 800d a bad speaker... And what all the fuss with Abbey Road anyway?!?! Good studios (including Abbey) use all kinds of different equipment incl PMC ATC etc etc to test their recordings on.

Comment

• Jovl
          • Jan 2009

The 800D is not for nothing B&W's top model. I also upgraded from 802D to 800D. Believe me, the difference is big.

Gr Jovl
          My setup : http://forum.puresound.be/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25
          Sorry for my English ops:

Comment

• emig5m
            • Aug 2008

Wouldn't the difference be just the bass output and the size room they can fill with bass? Wouldn't adding in a nice quality sub or two to the 801D's be a better and cheaper solution if you already have the 801's? I mean the mid and tweeter are identical? Can someone elaborate why the difference would be big if they're both basically the same or is it just the bass that's a big difference?

Comment

• emig5m
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by PavelL
              then you should know that the FST driver used in 800 series is a compromise solution, it is NOT a piston-drive unit. Just read the 801, 800 white paper. Unfortunately there is only one no-compromise speaker in the extensive B&W range.
              Can you elaborate why the FST is a compromise and what the side effect in performance is of this compromise? Because comparing B&W to B&W I notice the FST does perform better than the non FST midded speakers starting out in the 600 series. I assume when you say the only no-compromise speaker, you mean the snail shaped Nautilus?

Comment

• Jovl
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by emig5m
                Wouldn't the difference be just the bass output ............
                Bass is short and tight.
                Soundstage is higher and wider.
                Filter is better.

Gr Jovl

Comment

• Antus
                  • Apr 2008

speaker design is basically an art of compermise. for current technology, it is not possible (yet) to design a perfect speaker.
                  for example, to use 2, 3 or even 4 ways to reproduct music is a compermise. we just don't have a meterial or technology to make a sound from 20 to 20KHz.

The difference between 802D and 800D is quite small in my opinion. a lot of the improvement are from better quality crossover parts. If you already have 802D, i'd say wait for the upcoming 8 series "rumered" to be release soon. It will be expensive, but i guess u will get more meterial improvement.

Comment

• style
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2006

Hoi Jovl,
                    the 800D is sure a great speaker but the difference with 802 is not so exorbitant!! in performance.

I think the difference in $$$ from the 800 &802 is not justified!

I agree with Antus :T

we wachten op nieuwe modellen!! groeten Style

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by JustMusic
                      I want to ask anyone with a B&W 801D speakers how have been his experience? Are they better or same as the 800Ds? I have the 802Ds and I want to up grade my system with better speakers. I need more soundstage and bass. My room is just 6x5x2.5 meters (LxWxH)

My music preference is JAzz Vocal, Orchestra, Jazz, Opera.

All the best, Thank you!!
                      Focal Grand Utopia III
                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Pedro
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by style
                        With Orchestral, classic music the 801 can be not the better solution!
                        (the midrange will be a hole somewhere in the frequ.).....
                        Do you mean the 801D could be better for rock and heavy song for example? :B

I own the 801D and just love them. For rock and metal, it´s ALL good. I´ve listened the Wilson WP7 with the same electronic and sorry, these last could couldnt worth the upgrade, they have better midrange, a bit more fast bass, but i prefer the 801D for my style of music. The sound is full and it has that hell punch just big woofers can output and wide soundstage.

I~ve heard the 800D and also found the 801D more musical, and less detailed. The 800D seems to have more analytical midrange IMO.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Original poster says he is looking for bass and soundstage. I have to ask if he is only considering speakers. You can generally improve these things greatly without changing electronics or speakers if room treatment is an option that you have not yet explored.
                          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• jericho
                            • Dec 2004

I've got them both, 802d, as well as the 800d
                            The difference is going from a Mercedes 300 to a Mercedes 500
                            The only fact is the 800d needs a powerfull amp to make them sing & swing

Comment

• Jovl
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by jericho
                              The only fact is the 800d needs a powerfull amp to make them sing & swing
                              Totally agree.
                              They needed Watts.
                              I have had both ........ and next compared.

Gr Jovl

Comment

• Stanley
                                • Apr 2011

I am wanting to buy a pair of 801Ds, preferably in rosenut. Anyone know of a pair for sale?

Stanley

Comment

• Pedro
                                  • Jan 2006

A year ago was available for many months at audiogon and ebay a pair of 801D rosenut semi used.

I hope you can find for USD12K or so.

Comment

• dmccombs
                                    • Sep 2006

I just upgraded from the 802D to the 801D. If you have a decent room and good electronics, the difference is substantial.

In my setup the bass of course got deeper, fuller, and better defined. Surprisingly, the midrange and highs opened up noticeably, and the soundstage was wider and deeper. The music is more lively and realistic. I am happy I made the move.

I have heard the 800D but it was in a different setup so I can't make any fair comparisons between those and the 801D.

People that have heard both general report that the 800D bass isn't as deep, but it better defined. The crossovers in the unit are also better. Many prefer the 800D, but some prefer the 801D.

Good Luck with your choice.

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"