X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Grand Poobah has a spray gun question

Am getting ready to spray poly for cabinet making project I'm working on. And am a noob regarding spray guns.

So bleeder vs non-bleeder, internal vs external mix, HVLP vs normal gun, gravity feed vs suction????????

I have a BIG dual stage 5 Hp 60 gallon tank Quincy compressor that can deliver ~17 cu ft/min at high pressure if that's important.

Thanks for any advise.......
    Thomas

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

We have a 3 of the Binks pressure pots similar to these:

One is strictly set up and used for contact cement another for lacquer and the like, and the third for water based finishes (still playing with these).

They are the way to go if you want to spray quantities. The pot holds 2 1/2 gal. Easy to maintain, clean up is just running thinner thru and leaving it in the system until the next go round. For small amounts, we just put a gallon container in the pot and save the liner. Material can be sprayed at original viscosity. Pot, hoses and gun were ~$500. Has worked flawlessly for years.

We also have a HVLP system with a suction cup that is no longer in use. Some problems with these setups are:
    Cup only holds a quart or so of material.
    Spraying to a horizontal surface is problematic, as the dip tube needs a full cup to not push air.
    Cleaning the gun and cup is more work.
    Material needs to be thinned down more than I like.
    Always seemed to have problems with it.

There are some other systems out there, but these are the only 2 I've used and the pressure pot has been so reliable, I've never considered anything else.
    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

I have an Graco airless for production stuff and it works great. But it takes some practice -- that sucker can really pump the paint. For small stuff, I just use rattle cans if it seems like cleaning the airless will be too much hassle. Sorry, no recent experience with air sprayers.

Comment

• Hank
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2002

Thomas, since you're not a volume cabinet shop guy like Pete, based on what I've read, I recommend you seriously consider an HVLP setup.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

HVLP?

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

High Volume Low Pressure

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"