X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamesdaman
    • Apr 2008

B&W 805S.....is this a good price?

Can get some ex-dem ones for £1450, which isnt to bad. I was holding out for some second hand ones for alittle less but cant find any. Also what sub would you match these with??
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

jamesdaman,

What is the list price in UKP of 805S's? Converting to USD, that is not a bad price, mainly because I think the list price is higher in the UK than here.

As to subs, that will also greatly influenced by the size room you have. But generally, you would need at least a 10" sub to compliment the 805S's. Tonally, the match of course would be a B&W sub. However, there are plenty of very good subs in the market. JL Audio, Velodyne, REL, etc.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• jamesdaman
      • Apr 2008

My room is 15x15, the RRp is £1950. Cant get the B&W 800 series subs anymore as they dont make them and have no stock left, the other thing is id like an EQ on the sub and a remote so i can turn it up and down from my sitting position. Silly question i suppose but they are going to be a worth while upgrade to my 683s?

Comment

• Audio_ElF
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by jamesdaman
        Silly question i suppose but they are going to be a worth while upgrade to my 683s?
        I think it would be essential that you get a home demo. They are technically better speakers than the 683, but are also going to be very different having less bass extension. You'll also need to think about the equipment powering the speakers as the 805S are a lot more revealing of poor source than the 683 ... so one upgrade will probably lead you to another.

Eloise

Comment

• jamesdaman
          • Apr 2008

Ive got quad 909 quad 99 cyrus CD8se and the PSX-R, Im told this is more then good enough to power the 805s and make them sound good. I am worried about the bass though, i wont be able to afford a good enough sub straight away so i think its going to have to come later. Id like the 804S but they are alot more money, RRP on those is £3250 and no one seems to do ex-dem or second hand. Its either speakers or a new tv, bother need an upgrade.

Comment

• Hidefbob
            • Jun 2009

I had the SVS pc ultra 13 with my 805s I have since upgraded to the 802d and the sub actually helps with both.

Bob

Comment

• emig5m
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by jamesdaman
              Silly question i suppose but they are going to be a worth while upgrade to my 683s?
              Everyone's finances will help dictate what a worthwhile upgrade is, but personally I wouldn't go from a FST midrange speaker to a non FST. More than one person has said the clarity of the FST mid in the 683 is similar to the 804S. Do you think the double duty bass/mid of the 805S can compete? I know the 685 bookshelf although awesome sounding does not have the clarity and openness of the FST drivers. I seriously wouldn't jump to anything over the 683 until you can go 804S and up....

Comment

• jamesdaman
                • Apr 2008

i really dont know what to do

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                  • May 2008

I have 2 pairs of 805s and love them...I use the REL 305 sub with them, if that is a good price try them out. Worst case you can trade them in later, sell them or use them for surrounds. 805s are always in demand and sell well on the used market.
                  Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• jamesdaman
                    • Apr 2008

i can also get some monitor audio pl100 for £1400 which isnt bad at all. I called a few place's today and now i just feel more confused, first of all some people say it will work with a sub no worries and other people have said no way ARRR im so damn confused

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                      • Oct 2007

I would avoid using a sub if at all possible ... surely if you're looking at a around £1500 for a pair of speakers and around another £1000 for a sub - you could keep saving a bit longer and look at speakers around £2500.

All speakers will *work* with a sub, but I wouldn't buy a set of speakers thinking "oh it's okay I'll just add a sub later". If they don't suit you without a sub, IMO, you'll never truly be happy with them if you later add a sub. Others will disagree with this sentiment.

If you have the 683 and like them generally, but want better and can't afford the 804S - maybe look at the CM9.

Eloise
                      Last edited by Audio_ElF; 22 October 2009, 09:41 Thursday. Reason: clarity of thought

Comment

• emig5m
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Audio_ElF
                        If you have the 683 and like them generally, but want better and can't afford the 804S - maybe look at the CM9.
                        Which makes me wonder what's closer in performance to each other, the 683 to the CM9 or the CM9 to the 804S. I haven't personally had any experience with the CM9 series. I sound like a broken record saying this, but I just wouldn't bother with the middle ground B&W series. If you can afford the CM9 NOW and already have nice speakers such as the 683 you might as well just WAIT and save up and go for the gusto. Then there's no "what if".... you'll always have on your mind how much better the 804S is. With the 804S there is no better "series"....you're already there. Just better "models" in the flagship series.

My personal opinion is the 683 is pretty damned good performing already (along with the rest of the 600 series) and if you want to make a worthwhile leap in performance - just jump right into the 800 series (but I wouldn't go from 683 tower to 805S bookshelf) otherwise enjoy what you got and don't take this hobby so seriously. :W

Comment

• jamesdaman
                          • Apr 2008

well the other problem now is my girlfriend doesnt seem so keen on the 804s, and would rather me have the 805s with a sub tucked away somewhere. Yeh i probably could wait alittle longer and get the 804s but im really getting itchy feet to upgrade, my budget is around the £1500 to £1800 mark. If i start spending more im worried the girlfriend my not be the happiest bunny in the world LoL

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                            • Oct 2007

By the way - have you actually listened to the 805S in your own room with your own amplification? I've not heard the 805S (only the previous N805), but compared with the (previous series) CM and various other mid sized floorstanders the N805 weren't lacking in bass for my tastes.

If you're total budget is £1500 - 1800, then once you've bought the 805S at £1450, you're not going to get much of a sub with the remainder unless you buy second hand. And a cheep sub isn't going to cut muster with 805S IMO.

Eloise

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"