X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jmac
    • Feb 2005

CM9 reviews

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone could point me to some good online reviews of the CM9's. I have seen one only, done by UK HiFi choice, but was wondering if there are any others available online, as the Hifi choice one was a bit limiting in my opinion.

I had a serious listen to a pair at a dealer on Friday, with my own CD's, driven by Rotel ICE power, and was hugely impressed. As I'm auditioning with serious intent to buy a set of speakers for a combined music/movies 2 channel/multi-channel role, I'd really like to read some more reviews, and/or hear from owners who have experience with either other competing brands, or models in the B&W range to compare.

Many thanks everyone

Best Regards

John...
  • emig5m
    • Aug 2008

I say just get them if you heard them and liked them. I've owned the 600 series and the 800 series and they're all very good sounding - just the higher end series takes it to a more refined and elevated level.

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

Hallo Jmac,

the CM9 is a perfect speaker price/performance.

is not easy find a speaker at the level from the CM9 with performance from a "big" and what for price!

read here:

:T :T
      hope this help

Style

Comment

• Jmac
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by style
        Hallo Jmac,

the CM9 is a perfect speaker price/performance.

is not easy find a speaker at the level from the CM9 with performance from a "big" and what for price!

read here:

:T :T
        hope this help

Style

Thank you very much for the link. I am just wondering if any members here who have purchased CM9's could comment on the bass if they are in smallish rooms. Mine is in an apartment, 4.5 metres, x 3.5 metres, or not large, and double brick with concrete floor/ceiling/carpeted. I wonder if I could have problems with bass boom with them in such a room?

Many thanks

John...

Comment

• boarder1995
          • Sep 2009

I've spent some time with the CM line as I'm currently shopping for new speakers. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but these do sound great. They give up very little versus their bigger brothers 803S and are very close to the 804S. Also, I don't find them to be boomy at all. If anything a little reserved on the bottom end and I think they only go down to ~57Hz, so not real deep. They don't seem to produce that visceral feel of the 803S, so in your case, that's a good thing, but they do have a good punch without being boomy. I've auditioned the CM's in a few different rooms all with different electronics, treatments, etc, and never been turned off by their sound.

Comment

• Jmac
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by boarder1995
            I've spent some time with the CM line as I'm currently shopping for new speakers. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but these do sound great. They give up very little versus their bigger brothers 803S and are very close to the 804S. Also, I don't find them to be boomy at all. If anything a little reserved on the bottom end and I think they only go down to ~57Hz, so not real deep. They don't seem to produce that visceral feel of the 803S, so in your case, that's a good thing, but they do have a good punch without being boomy. I've auditioned the CM's in a few different rooms all with different electronics, treatments, etc, and never been turned off by their sound.
            Good comments and thank you for your insightful response.

So far, I've only heard them in a showroom - medium sized room, but very heavily damped with carpet, front and back walls lined with kit and curtains behind.

I've not heard the 803S, but 804s and 803D. I'd agree re your thoughts of coming close to the 804s. The main difference I'd feel would be in the airiness and openness of the highs, and pitch clarity and freedom from a very minor sense of box coloration on some very low and loud bass notes - here I guess the matrix bracing and rohacell cones would play their part in giving the 804S the edge. But here in Australia, the 804S is effectively another A$2.5k or A$8k as against A$4.5k, - worth it I'd say if you have the money, but when you have to budget, and stretch/sacrifice etc, I'm not so sure, and here the CM9's offer superb value for money re bang for buck.

I have some Naim SBL's - part of a complete Naim system which I owned; all the electronics have been sold, and I am wanting to move the SBL's along as I am more interested these days in a speaker system for a combined 2 channel music, and multi-channel SACD and movie role, rather than just straight 2 channel, and to match my new amp tonally etc. Thus far, the CM9's are top of my short list. They do seem very good in the bass for a ported and passive loudspeaker, especially a three way, a design not always easy to get right. I'd suspect they'd go quite low in a room with room gain, as the figures B&W quote would almost certainly be anechoic - I see the bass -6db figure ref 1khz midrange is 30hz, so I would expect them to be still putting out some useful bass at circa 20hz in room.

Best Regards

Jon...

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"