X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Opus007
    • Nov 2007

Did I damage my speakers?

Last night I moved my speakers a little farther out from center and then did a recalibration with my spl meter.I had the test tone at 85 db with volume at 92 db(very loud).I accidentally hit the wrong button on the remote and had switched the preamp back to the source which was a music dvd (which was playing) and it took about 5 second to turn the volume down as it was extremely loud.My normal listening of this dvd is around 79( also loud) on the volume control and when I accidentally hit the wrong button I was hearing it at 92 on the volume control.It about blew me out of the room.I checked all speakers and all seem to be ok.I then played the dvd and it does sound ok.Did I get lucky or could I have damaged the speakers.I had the volume returned to normal in about 5 seconds and if I had of thought quick enough would of just shut the system down.
    This is the second time I have done this and one reason I hate preamps without any calibration software built in.
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

IMO its HIGHLY unlikely you did an damage to your speakers. Fact is you could probably watch movies every day at that sound level and have no ill effect unless your amp started clipping.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Do they sound OK now? (Your answer should be ‘Yes’)

Do you hear any difference in your system since the 'incident'? (Your answer should be ‘No’)

Are the surrounds on the woofer cones intact? (Your answer should be ‘Yes’)

Do the tweeters sound like they always have before at your normal listening levels? (Your answer should be ‘Yes’)

If your score on the previous test is perfect, relax and be glad you invested in good quality equipment. :T
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Should I say they are broken and just go and buy new (better) speakers anyways? (Your answer should be 'Yes')

Then go out and get the speakers of your dreams! :lol:

At least that's the way my mind works! :T
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• Opus007
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by wkhanna
          Do they sound OK now? (Your answer should be ‘Yes’)

Do you hear any difference in your system since the 'incident'? (Your answer should be ‘No’)

Are the surrounds on the woofer cones intact? (Your answer should be ‘Yes’)

Do the tweeters sound like they always have before at your normal listening levels? (Your answer should be ‘Yes’)

If your score on the previous test is perfect, relax and be glad you invested in good quality equipment. :T
          Looks like all is well all then.Only difference I notice is I also had to change out a interconnect as one was bad so my sound is slightly different until the new IC arrives.
          On a different note...what is the closest I can have a speaker next to a wall heater.Right now my front right is about 3 feet away and with the change of weather coming I am thinking this is way too close to the heater.If I move my fronts closer in and back further to the wall I loose a lot in sound stage.Thanks.

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

They should be fine as long as you can rest your hands on the speaker for more than a few seconds without feeling like your hand is going to get burned.

The only 'real' issue you'll have is that it will tend to dry out the laminent/wood and you might see some discoloration/peeling/flaking over a long period of time being exposed to the heat.

But basically if you can with stand standing 3 feet away from the heater for a couple of minutes, the speakers can handle it too.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• Opus007
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by PewterTA
              They should be fine as long as you can rest your hands on the speaker for more than a few seconds without feeling like your hand is going to get burned.

The only 'real' issue you'll have is that it will tend to dry out the laminent/wood and you might see some discoloration/peeling/flaking over a long period of time being exposed to the heat.

But basically if you can with stand standing 3 feet away from the heater for a couple of minutes, the speakers can handle it too.
              Thanks PewterTA.

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Funny and scary, isn't it? When you accidentally play something at max volume. It almost feels like "did I hurt my speakers!? oh no... are you ok, speaker?" Even if it works afterwards, and everything sounds right, it feels like I have to be cautious and tender with my speaker cause it is "hurt" right now.
                B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Opus007
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by audioqueso
                  Funny and scary, isn't it? When you accidentally play something at max volume. It almost feels like "did I hurt my speakers!? oh no... are you ok, speaker?" Even if it works afterwards, and everything sounds right, it feels like I have to be cautious and tender with my speaker cause it is "hurt" right now.
                  I agree 100%.My poor babies .Just glad they are ok.I would of had to upgrade if they where fried but alas just can not afford that in this economy.
                  Another question. I am now thinking of moving all my audio/video equipment to the rear of my room.This would entail using longer speaker cables for the fronts and center.Right now the front speaker cables are 10 feet.If I move everything to the rear they would have to be around 30 feet.Is that a problem?Also would I have to make all speaker cables the same length?Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"