X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ray5
    • Dec 2008

crossover frequency

Crossover frequency

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi!
    Just wondering about the crossover frequency to the sub. I have read the various threads on this but my installer did a curious thing. He has set the crossover frequencies different for each speaker i.e for my front 802D it is 60hz, HTM 2d 40Hz and rears 804S is 60hz. His explanation was that the front L and R are capable of good bass so it would be better integration and not just coming out of the sub. The ctr he did lower to concentrate on vocals. Theoretically it makes sense to me but what do you think? I haven't had much time playing with it yet. The Fathom F112 that I have is good and does not makes it's presense felt sonically though the lower end booms could be better. I haven't experimented with it's mike and calibration yet though that might make a difference. Thanks,
    Ray
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

I think 60Hz is fine for the 802D and the 804S generally speaking but I would try different ones, like 80Hz, and see if the overall integration is any better or worse. You never know until you listen.

As for the HTM2D, I think that 40Hz is pretty low for a center channel. Again, I'd listen to other crossover settings and see what you think.

Eric

Comment

• tim916
      • May 2009

Lots of debate on this topic, but IMO everything below 80hz should be handled by your (very capable) subwoofer. The reasoning behind this is that you can find the place in your room where the sub provides the smoothest bass at the listening position(s) an then adjust phase and polarity so that it blends seamlessly with the rest of your speakers. Accomplishing this requires taking audio measurements.

Comment

• Isaac
        • Jan 2006

I have always found that 80hz for all speakers works best , especially for a Home Theater setup. Also, its what THX recommends.

Comment

• emig5m
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by hifiguymi
          I think 60Hz is fine for the 802D and the 804S generally speaking but I would try different ones, like 80Hz, and see if the overall integration is any better or worse. You never know until you listen.

As for the HTM2D, I think that 40Hz is pretty low for a center channel. Again, I'd listen to other crossover settings and see what you think.

Eric
          What's crazy is my Yamaha's auto calibration set my HTM3S to large/full range and the 804S to 80Hz, heh. I use the auto room adjustment for a baseline setting then manually adjust to my liking. I manually set the HTM3S to 80Hz like the Yamaha sets the rest of my speakers to. Sometimes I just use the 804S full range for music but for some strange reason when I crossover to the sub the mids and top end sounds clearer while adding a little more oomph down low.

Comment

• WelshOne
            • Jan 2009

I have been doing nothing bar experimenting with x over settings for the past month, using REW and an antimode 8033 for assistance.

Ive had all various answers, and results, but I am going to a UK AV show saturday and B&W and Rotel are in the same room! Im going to ask them directly what the best setting would be in their opinion.

My kit is 803D, HTM2D, 805S, Rotel 1570/1575. Sunfire HRS12 sub.

The only real consensus that I made, was that irrespective of your xover settings, whether it be better or worse to your ears, the lower the x over the more work your giving the main amp/s, possibly reducing headroom and dynamics. Of course my argument was that if your fortunate to own high end amps, will this matter? Then there was the argument that the speaker can have distortion at low hz/high SPL levels. My slightly egotistical response was that these speakers are 800 series B&W's, if that makes any difference?

Im currently at 60hz to 803D, 80hz to centre and rears.

Im still going round in circles, but its performing very well right now with the above settings and the antimode 8033 in place.

Will let you know what the horses mouth says after saturday, so to speak :B

Comment

• WelshOne
              • Jan 2009

Sometimes I just use the 804S full range for music but for some strange reason when I crossover to the sub the mids and top end sounds clearer while adding a little more oomph down low.
              I would guess that is because you are allowing the amp more headroom by not having to play the lower hz signals, thus reinforcing the argument of not having x overs too low for HT. 8O

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Trust your ears

Here is what I recommend set up different crossover levels

40hz
                50hz
                60hz
                70hz
                80hz

Then listen each time with the same music and video clip using a piece you are very familiar with (I use a DTS HD demo disc)

Then Listen, this is the fun part.

The not so fun part is you have to recalibrate the sub every time but that's alright that is well worth it and get you to discover your system in depth.

At the end of the day you can set up one configuration for movies and one for music :T I understand several pre/pros allow you to do that.

PS: As stated earlier, the higher the crossover the less strain you put on your amp as the sub carries more of the load.
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• ray5
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by wettou
                  Here is what I recommend set up different crossover levels

40hz
                  50hz
                  60hz
                  70hz
                  80hz

Then listen each time with the same music and video clip using a piece you are very familiar with (I use a DTS HD demo disc)

Then Listen, this is the fun part.

The not so fun part is you have to recalibrate the sub every time but that's alright that is well worth it and get you to discover your system in depth.

At the end of the day you can set up one configuration for movies and one for music :T I understand several pre/pros allow you to do that.

PS: As stated earlier, the higher the crossover the less strain you put on your amp as the sub carries more of the load.
                  When you say different crossover levels do you mean like 40Hz all around and then try and then 50Hz etc. Or do you mean different levels for different speakers simultaneously? The second option is obviously going to be painful as you can have infinite combinations.
                  Thanks.
                  Ray

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

Hi Ray,

Do you use your system for concert DVDs or movies?

If you use your system mainly for concert DVDs then I think that your sub should be playing 80Hz frequencies and below. The reason for this is that a kick drum is approximately 60Hz and a 4-string bass guitar plays from 41Hz to 261Hz. If you want to simulate the live environment that you are watching on your concert DVDs then it's better if a higher proportion of the low frequencies are handled by your sub.

If you use your system mainly for movies then I can't provide good advice because that's not my area of interest. However I suspect that the settings your installer applied may be reasonable because your sub is there to handle earthquakes, explosions and dinosaur footsteps which are all very low frequencies.

You are fortunate to own 802D floorstanders which handle low frequencies a lot better than my CDM9NT floorstanders. For most concert DVDs I set my ASW750 sub to play 120Hz and below, and my 9NTs to play 80Hz and above. With this configuration the volume of the sub is critical for good integration. I adjust the volume carefully for each DVD. My sub is positioned dead centre between my floorstanders which makes integration much easier because the kick drum and bass guitar are always in the middle of the soundstage on concert DVDs.

Purists will laugh at my unconventional approach (the 80Hz / 120Hz duplication) but I watch a lot of concert DVDs and I've spent a lot of time experimenting with my system to get the best out of it.

With 802D floorstanders you probably don't need to go to the extremes that I go to. However if you do ever experiment with sending higher frequencies to your sub I would be very very interested to hear your opinion of the results. Just make sure that you spend time getting the volume of your sub just right.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"