X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Braddles
    • Oct 2008

Upgrading from 603s2 speakers to ?

Hi All

I currently have 600 s2 speakers (603s2, LCR6) and am looking to upgrade. I was thinking about the CM5,7 or 9 as fronts and the CMC2 center. The RH speaker will be in a corner (2ft from back wall and 1ft from side) - are stand mount speakers better than floor standing in this situation?

The amp will likely be the Denon 4310 or 4810.

Will I notice a significant increase in performance? The other option is stick with the new 600 series speakers which have been getting good review.

I will demo them shortly, however the only dealer in my area is currently renovating their demo rooms, which makes demoing difficult.

Thanks for your help!

Brad
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Braddles,

For main speakers, I always prefer tower speakers. This is good for two channel. And a good 2 channel is a sold foundation for a good HT.

The CM series would be a very nice upgrade over the 600 series, S2. They will have very nice detail, soundstage and dynamics. I will simply do what the 600 series do, but better.

As to getting 600 series 3, that's not a bad option, but it will be a bit of an incremental upgrade. Better? Yes, but not a big upgrade. For the money, moving up a series tends to yield the bigger performance jump/

Do you have the Denon receiver now? If not, for that level of money, I would consider getting a Rotel receiver. It will be more musical and have cleaner performance. Rotels' and B&W match up very well.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

If you are going to upgrade I also suggest the floor standing speakers. I really like the CM7's and CM9's. The 9's have a better cleaner midrange and dig deeper in bass. I demo'd them a few weeks ago and they are exceptional speakers.
      I would suggest you look elsewhere then Denon. If you are looking for great sound quality I suggest you step up to NAD T985 receiver , Rotel 15 series , Marantz or I would use a Pioneer ELite SC-27. B&K has a really good sounding avr707 but it's lame with it's preamp section not decoding the new formats and no room correction except a few notch filters .
      Pioneer Elite ICE amp receivers sound amazing with B&W CM series. So does Rotel. I heard it both ways and I like both a lot. You should try to demo your new speakers on a few different receivers before you buy a Denon. I don't like Denon for a lot of reasons but I feel they lack compared to others in Dynamic range and overall clarity. In my opinion Denon receivers sound lifeless and boring. There is no punch. I have been Installing Denon receivers for 10 years and they have been slipping. Years ago this was not an issue but today and a few years back it's been a huge problem. Denon also has service issues. They constantly break. All other receivers I have Installed I'd say it's a 100 to 1 ratio with Denon breaking to all others.
      I have seen some older denon receivers that still work today like the old avr3300 and some avr3801's. The avr3805 is where Denon started slipping. It's a shame as I used to be a big fan of there products. I wish they would turn it around. We still sell Denon today but it's less and less. The Pioneer receivers are rock solid and rarely ever go bad. In 10 years I have only seen 1 fail and it was due to overheating in a cabinet . There was a fan in there that failed. It vented out the solid wood cabinet. The cable box , Receiver both failed, the receiver only lost the left channel and everything else still worked. It was a old vsx21.

Good luck with your receiver and new speakers.

Comment

• emig5m
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Dmantis
        If you are going to upgrade I also suggest the floor standing speakers. I really like the CM7's and CM9's. The 9's have a better cleaner midrange and dig deeper in bass. I demo'd them a few weeks ago and they are exceptional speakers.
        I would suggest you look elsewhere then Denon. If you are looking for great sound quality I suggest you step up to NAD T985 receiver , Rotel 15 series , Marantz or I would use a Pioneer ELite SC-27. B&K has a really good sounding avr707 but it's lame with it's preamp section not decoding the new formats and no room correction except a few notch filters .
        Pioneer Elite ICE amp receivers sound amazing with B&W CM series. So does Rotel. I heard it both ways and I like both a lot. You should try to demo your new speakers on a few different receivers before you buy a Denon. I don't like Denon for a lot of reasons but I feel they lack compared to others in Dynamic range and overall clarity. In my opinion Denon receivers sound lifeless and boring. There is no punch. I have been Installing Denon receivers for 10 years and they have been slipping. Years ago this was not an issue but today and a few years back it's been a huge problem. Denon also has service issues. They constantly break. All other receivers I have Installed I'd say it's a 100 to 1 ratio with Denon breaking to all others.
        I have seen some older denon receivers that still work today like the old avr3300 and some avr3801's. The avr3805 is where Denon started slipping. It's a shame as I used to be a big fan of there products. I wish they would turn it around. We still sell Denon today but it's less and less. The Pioneer receivers are rock solid and rarely ever go bad. In 10 years I have only seen 1 fail and it was due to overheating in a cabinet . There was a fan in there that failed. It vented out the solid wood cabinet. The cable box , Receiver both failed, the receiver only lost the left channel and everything else still worked. It was a old vsx21.

Good luck with your receiver and new speakers.
        Interesting. Do you have any opinions on Yamaha's sound? I've been using a Yamaha with the current 600 and 800 series (albeit with a separate power amp) and think it sounds very good. But how do you know better until you've experienced it? My Sony's are what I would call lifeless sounding... They where ok for movies but I absolutely hated them for 2-channel/music (coming off of Carver stereo separates) but the Yamaha sounds very good to me (even using it's built in amps).

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"