X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pbarata
    • Feb 2003

What will replace B&W 7 series?

I've noticed that serie 7 is not anymore on B&W website.

Anyone knows which new model will replace them?

Thx!
    Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
    Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.
  • wgriel
    • May 2006

There is no official word as of yet. However, with rumours of a new (more expensive) 800 series in the works, the door is opened for a series between the CM and 800, both in price and performance.

Comment

• joetama
      • May 2006

Speculation... You never know what they are up to until they release it for sure. I also tend to disbelieve 'dealers' who officially unofficially speculate.

As a 703 owner I'm slightly sad to see the 700 Series go away. But, it was time. The 600 Series got a major improvement with the new speakers, so maybe the same will come for the 700 Series. I'm just hoping they don't leave the CM Series as the replacement. I honestly prefer my 703 to anything in the CM Series. But then again some people like the CDM-9NT over the 703.

All I know for sure, is that it is a tough world out there. Maybe the death of the 700 Series is a sign of the death of the upper middle class. I'm sure B&W does extensive market research, so why build a speaker for a dead market? But, my first word in the post was speculation.

If they do come out with something new I'm going to have to take a drive to C-Bus since the B&W dealer here in Cincy went under. I'm pissed that I only got to take advantage of the end of their liquidation sale.
      -Joe

Comment

• SoundEngine355
        • Feb 2008

The 700 needed to be discontinued, it was butt ugly.

Probally find the CM series will outperform the 700 series with some minor tweaks.
        SoundEngine355

-------------------
        [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• joetama
          • May 2006

Originally posted by SoundEngine355

Probally find the CM series will outperform the 700 series with some minor tweaks.

Butt ugly??!?!?!?!? I think not, I find them to be very unique and beautiful in design. I don't like the high gloss 'box' look. To be fair if the CM need minor tweeks to sound as good or better than the 700 Series in a true contest of performance the 700 Series would have to receive minor tweeks as well. And unless there is a major design flaw with minor tweeks the 700 Series would still be better.

:T

If we judge a series by the looks I don't like the looks of the 805 or the 803D. But, when I listen to music I close my eyes anyway. So, who really cares what it looks like.
          -Joe

Comment

• artv4
            • Jun 2007

700 series look awesome!!!
            GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• Alpha231
              • May 2008

The 700 series is being phased out in favor of the new CM assortment!

Comment

• mechadsey
                • Aug 2009

683 vs. CM Series

I worked in automotive product planning and its a traditional marketing move to eliminate a series that overlaps too closely with your own product.

I am going to buy new speakers to replace my DM 601S3 front speakers.
                I listen to even mix of music and HT.

Any opinion on 683 vs. CM? Why are they moving back a forth between numbers and letters?

Comment

• Ken49r
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by SoundEngine355

I have to agree the 700 series wasn't pleasing to the eye. I preferred the 800-S series and CM series over 700's in the looks department. I owned both 705/704.

My hunch is the 700 series will be back with performance, design, rounded edges, equal to the 800-S series.

I love the look of my 805's and would be highly disappointed if B&W didn't keep it alive in the new 700's since there is talk of the new 800's dropping the "S" series for a newly designed all diamond lineup.

Comment

• wgriel
                    • May 2006

Wow - personally I thought the 704 and 703 were among the most attractive speakers in the B&W lineup! I certainly think they look much better than the rectangular box CM series.

Comment

• emig5m
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by wgriel
                      Wow - personally I thought the 704 and 703 were among the most attractive speakers in the B&W lineup! I certainly think they look much better than the rectangular box CM series.
                      I agree that they look better than the CM series, but I don't agree they're the most attractive. The equivalent 800 series counterparts look much sweeter (in my opinion). :T

Comment

• wgriel
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by emig5m
                        I agree that they look better than the CM series, but I don't agree they're the most attractive. The equivalent 800 series counterparts look much sweeter (in my opinion). :T
                        No argument: that's why I said "among" the most attractive

Comment

• emig5m
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by wgriel
                          No argument: that's why I said "among" the most attractive
                          Ooops, my bad. For some strange reason I didn't see the word "among". I had a hell of a day today with the stupid release of Windows 7 and... ironically 7 fresh installs.... :E

But I did notice we have the same number of posts...lol. :lol:

Comment

• audiofiel10
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by joetama
                            Butt ugly??!?!?!?!? I think not, I find them to be very unique and beautiful in design. I don't like the high gloss 'box' look. To be fair if the CM need minor tweeks to sound as good or better than the 700 Series in a true contest of performance the 700 Series would have to receive minor tweeks as well. And unless there is a major design flaw with minor tweeks the 700 Series would still be better.

:T

If we judge a series by the looks I don't like the looks of the 805 or the 803D. But, when I listen to music I close my eyes anyway. So, who really cares what it looks like.
                            Why don't you look at replacing your 700 series with the current 800 series??? You might be able to pick up a good deal before the series is replaced...

Comment

• joetama
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by audiofiel10
                              Why don't you look at replacing your 700 series with the current 800 series??? You might be able to pick up a good deal before the series is replaced...

I'm not replacing my 703. When in the future I do decide to upgrade I'm not just holding my shopping list to B&W. The 703 were my favorite in that price range when I was shopping. Otherwise I might have gone with Thiel CS3.7 or something else.
                              -Joe

Comment

• bnieman
                                • Jun 2006

3 words: free-mounted-tweeter. I own a pair of 703s and a pair of CM-4 speakers and the 703s blow the CM-4 speakers away in transparency. Taking the tweeter out of the box and letting it breathe really helps the speakers disappear.

My dealer's perspective on the 700 series was very interesting. He feels the 700 series was becoming more and more expensive to produce and the market could not justify any more price hikes. If they made it much more expensive it would be a no-brainier to jump right into the 800 series. His thought is B&W discontinued the 700 series and beefed up the CM series a bit. In terms of cost of production, its much easier and cheaper to make "speaker boxes" like the 600 and CM series than to make custom enclosure speakers with open air tweeters like the 700 and 800 series.

The 703 speakers are truly amazing and you rarely ever see them for sale used, which means many happy customers, myself included

Cheers,
                                Bryan
                                Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• Ken49r
                                  • Dec 2007

Edit

Comment

• joetama
                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by bnieman
                                    3 words: free-mounted-tweeter. I own a pair of 703s and a pair of CM-4 speakers and the 703s blow the CM-4 speakers away in transparency. Taking the tweeter out of the box and letting it breathe really helps the speakers disappear.

My dealer's perspective on the 700 series was very interesting. He feels the 700 series was becoming more and more expensive to produce and the market could not justify any more price hikes. If they made it much more expensive it would be a no-brainier to jump right into the 800 series. His thought is B&W discontinued the 700 series and beefed up the CM series a bit. In terms of cost of production, its much easier and cheaper to make "speaker boxes" like the 600 and CM series than to make custom enclosure speakers with open air tweeters like the 700 and 800 series.

The 703 speakers are truly amazing and you rarely ever see them for sale used, which means many happy customers, myself included

Cheers,
                                    Bryan
                                    I think you have a real point there... Probably the same reason I like the Thiel speakers is the use of phase and time alignment. I know you can do fancy tricks in the crossover to phase align everything, but I've always found that physically doing it sounds better. Plus I'm a believer in simple crossover networks.

I've said it before on here and a lot of people I'm sure think I'm dead wrong, but I like the 703 more than I do the 804S. I just find the 804S too polite. I'd never sell my 703, but that doesn't mean I won't upgrade some day. :T
                                    -Joe

Comment

• sarsi
                                      • Nov 2004

First, my Rotel 10 series and now B&W 700 series. It is really sad to see the 700 series eol but again it is part of the product lifecycle for all the manufacturer else nobody will upgrade and nothing new to sell to the loyal base.

I originally when I bought the 700 series a big part of is due to the beautiful look. It is the critical wife approval factor for our new apartment as the whole setup of HTM7, 703 front, 704 rear and ASW750 took up a big real estate of my small living area. So the notion "butt ugly" is really one man meat is another man poison
                                      Last edited by sarsi; 12 November 2009, 11:07 Thursday.

Comment

• joetama
                                        • May 2006

I'm actually kind of glad they are discontinued... Now they are more 'rare'.. LOL thats about it.
                                        -Joe

Comment

• wgriel
                                          • May 2006

I'm actually kind of glad they are discontinued... Now they are more 'rare'.. LOL thats about it.
                                          Heh, yeah there's that.

It doesn't really matter to me: my 703s didn't suddenly start sounding worse when they discontinued the line.

I also think they may hold their value fairly well: even if it doesn't actually mean anything in terms of quality, the fact that they are British made will likely allow them to hold a better resale value than similar speakers made in China.

And I wouldn't doubt it if the next 700 series (if there is one) is manufactured in China for cost reasons.

Comment

• joetama
                                            • May 2006

Who knows... All I know is I doubt I'll ever sell my 703...

They were my first really nice speaker that I purchased on my own. Before them I used my dad's old DM330i and I can't part with those either.
                                            -Joe

Comment

• wgriel
                                              • May 2006

Who knows... All I know is I doubt I'll ever sell my 703...
                                              Yeah, that is exactly my feeling on them. Previous to them I owned DM603s (loved those speakers, but wanted more) but I have no desire to replace my 703s.

They work extremely well in my room and I don't feel any desire to upgrade. If anything, I may want to upgrade my amplification at some point in time, but I'm content to stay with these speakers for a very long time.

I admit if my finances were to change dramatically and permit such a thing, I would certainly consider jumping up to 800Ds or other speakers in that range, but that seems pretty unlikely at this point in time. I know I wouldn't make the move to 804s (which I do think are more refined overall, but I like the balance and presentation of the 703s a bit more )

Comment

• leej
                                                • Feb 2009

I agree. Love my 703's. Too bad for those who couldn't afford 800's and passed on these. Oh well, you’ll just have to settle for CM9’s. I’m keeping my 703’s.
                                                Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
                                                B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• NMG
                                                  • Oct 2004

Ditto. My only regret about the 700 series is that I never picked up a set of 705's for rears to go along with my 703's and HTM7 (I have DS3's for surround duty instead). I have no issues with the DS3's at all and in fact I like that they are wall mounted, but it would be nice to have the complete set of 700 series speakers. Maybe I'll be lucky and stumble upon some 705's that need moved.

If and when I ever have the budget to move up to 800 series speakers, the 703's will be staying and they'll sure make for one heck of a "secondary" system . . . LOL

Oh and for the record, I think they are GORGEOUS.

Comment

Working...
                                                  😀
                                                  😂
                                                  🥰
                                                  😘
                                                  🤢
                                                  😎
                                                  😞
                                                  😡
                                                  👍
                                                  👎
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"