X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vlasis
    • May 2007

crazy question....yes.. why not!!!!!!!

Hallo hi end friends .....a crazy question for all of you.......
    All the parts (2 cross overs-2 mids-4 woofers-2 diamond twiters and the internal cables)cost around 2700 euros...
    I am an owner of 802 Nautilus and i interest to change from Nautilus to Diamond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Is it possible?What do you think about it? :lol: :lol:
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

I would point out that the cabinets are physically different - especially the tweeter design - but also think the actual cabinets are different. Here are some of the differences Stereophile pointed out:

"Description
    ... And while to the casual observer the 802D may look much like its predecessor, the Nautilus 802, there are external changes as well.

... which in turn dictated the new series' most obvious external feature: the bullet-shaped tweeter enclosure is now embedded deeper into the midrange enclosure, so that the tweeter and midrange drive-units are in phase at the crossover frequency."

Also the physical sizes are different between the two:

802D N802
    Height: 1135 Height: 1106
    Width: 368 Width: 385
    Depth: 563 Depht:548

and

Weight for 802D is 80kg and for N802 it is 70kg.

...B&W's proprietary Matrix construction is retained for the woofer cabinet, but the 802D's base and port are inherited from the Signature 800.

Comment

• vlasis
      • May 2007

Τhanks for your answear my European friend.......I know about the different tweters position(something DIY from me)and also about the cross overs(i am gonna buy 2 from Diamond series)i know also about the differences in the bottom ,i mean the base(something DIY also here)...i know its a crazy idea....but believe me i am thinking about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Jovl
        • Jan 2009

But what about a subsequent resale

Gr Jovl
        My setup : http://forum.puresound.be/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25
        Sorry for my English ops:

Comment

• vlasis
          • May 2007

Originally posted by Jovl
          But what about a subsequent resale

Gr Jovl
          i am with the nautilus 802 about 8 years ...i can leave with the D another 15 years...so...no problem with the resale!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

I say go for it and report back.
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• tim916
              • May 2009

There are a lot of factors at play in doing what you propose and it is quite possible that you could end up making the speakers worse.

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by vlasis
                Hallo hi end friends .....a crazy question for all of you.......
                All the parts (2 cross overs-2 mids-4 woofers-2 diamond twiters and the internal cables)cost around 2700 euros...
                I am an owner of 802 Nautilus and i interest to change from Nautilus to Diamond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Is it possible?What do you think about it? :lol: :lol:
                Absolutely, the cabinet sizing its almost identical. Go for it
                SoundEngine355

-------------------
                [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                  • Feb 2008

Originally posted by tim916
                  There are a lot of factors at play in doing what you propose and it is quite possible that you could end up making the speakers worse.
                  If he used the original crossovers and the new drivers, YES. If he uses new crossovers and new drivers NO.
                  SoundEngine355

-------------------

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by aarsoe
                    I would point out that the cabinets are physically different - especially the tweeter design - but also think the actual cabinets are different. Here are some of the differences Stereophile pointed out:

"Description
                    ... And while to the casual observer the 802D may look much like its predecessor, the Nautilus 802, there are external changes as well.

... which in turn dictated the new series' most obvious external feature: the bullet-shaped tweeter enclosure is now embedded deeper into the midrange enclosure, so that the tweeter and midrange drive-units are in phase at the crossover frequency."

Also the physical sizes are different between the two:

802D N802
                    Height: 1135 Height: 1106
                    Width: 368 Width: 385
                    Depth: 563 Depht:548

and

Weight for 802D is 80kg and for N802 it is 70kg.

...B&W's proprietary Matrix construction is retained for the woofer cabinet, but the 802D's base and port are inherited from the Signature 800.
                    The differences are so small, you could not hear any sonic difference between a N802D or a 802D.

I almost did the same thing last year, but missed out on the Ebay sale on a N802.
                    SoundEngine355

-------------------

Comment

• vlasis
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by SoundEngine355
                      If he used the original crossovers and the new drivers, YES. If he uses new crossovers and new drivers NO.
                      I must use new crossovers with new speakers units.......the cross works differently than the older....i mean just to keep only the cabinet and all the other stuff new.....am i need a doctor soon or not??? :lol: :lol:

Comment

• mrsagibit
                        • Dec 2008

you are not alone! I also modded my speakers by changing the internal wiring to silver, upgrading the electrolytic capacitor to film capacitor and also upgrade the tweeter to a better series model. I love my modded speakers and it sounds may much better than original.

My speakers are DM602 and cannot compared to yours. If I have the green light from my wife and extra cash to get 800 series, i will also mod them. You wont know what wil be until you try

Comment

• vlasis
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by mrsagibit
                          you are not alone! I also modded my speakers by changing the internal wiring to silver, upgrading the electrolytic capacitor to film capacitor and also upgrade the tweeter to a better series model. I love my modded speakers and it sounds may much better than original.

My speakers are DM602 and cannot compared to yours. If I have the green light from my wife and extra cash to get 800 series, i will also mod them. You wont know what wil be until you try
                          Μy man....!!!!!!! :T :T :lol: :lol: :P :P

Comment

• ironcorn
                            • Feb 2009

I have been thinking the same thing, I'm thinking about digging into a N802 to 802D project sometime this winter. Keep us updated on your progress!

Comment

• planitismetal
                              • Dec 2008

I must use new crossovers with new speakers units.......the cross works differently than the older....i mean just to keep only the cabinet and all the other stuff new.....am i need a doctor soon or not??? :lol: :lol:

Yes my friend... You will need a doctor as everyone else who's interested about high fidelity... :W
                              Will you be in Athens 31-10??????? :

Comment

• Antus
                                • Apr 2008

if your tweeter is set back like N802, u will need original 802 crossover to sound "correct".
                                however, u can upgrade the crossover parts in the N802. The original N802 use some cheap crossover parts. (ferrie core inductor, some cheap capacitor) If you want serious upgrade them, u should change to air-core inductor and M-Cap silver/gold like in the 802D.

personally, i will upgrade the crossover on N802 first. use better quality parts. if that's not sastisfying, upgrade drivers later.

Comment

• vlasis
                                  • May 2007

Originally posted by planitismetal
                                  Yes my friend... You will need a doctor as everyone else who's interested about high fidelity... :W
                                  Will you be in Athens 31-10??????? :
                                  Γεια σου βρε πατριωταρα :T :T .......Of cource i will be in Athens Hi End show,i am a serius hi fi sickman!!!!!!!!!!!!! :B

Comment

• vlasis
                                    • May 2007

Originally posted by Antus
                                    if your tweeter is set back like N802, u will need original 802 crossover to sound "correct".
                                    however, u can upgrade the crossover parts in the N802. The original N802 use some cheap crossover parts. (ferrie core inductor, some cheap capacitor) If you want serious upgrade them, u should change to air-core inductor and M-Cap silver/gold like in the 802D.

personally, i will upgrade the crossover on N802 first. use better quality parts. if that's not sastisfying, upgrade drivers later.

First of all I want to thank you for your answear my friend :T :T
                                    I think for best results must use all the stuff from Diamond series(woofers-mid-tweters-2 crossovers)with the same cabin (from Nautilus)but i must check the dimensions for every unit.....

Comment

• dknightd
                                      • Mar 2006

Interesting, so the cabinet is by far the largest part of the expense for these speakers.

I say go for it. You'll want to make sure everything will fit, and that you can move the tweeter as needed. Should be fun

Comment

• multivac
                                        • Dec 2006

Γεια σου βρε πατριωταρα :T :T .......Of cource i will be in Athens Hi End show,i am a serius hi fi sickman!!!!!!!!!!!!! :B
                                        Γιά σου Βλάση τρελό αγόρι..... :W
                                        Γιά χαρά και στον PlanitisMetal :W
                                        How about forming a B&W owners club in Greece ?

See you at the Athens Hi-End Show !

Comment

• emig5m
                                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by MM1-MZ1-P7
                                          Guy's the diamond series drive units will not fit straight into the Nautilus range :cry:
                                          Just hacksaw the old one off and crazy glue the new one on and you'll be good. :B

Comment

• vlasis
                                            • May 2007

Originally posted by multivac
                                            Γιά σου Βλάση τρελό αγόρι..... :W
                                            Γιά χαρά και στον PlanitisMetal :W
                                            How about forming a B&W owners club in Greece ?

See you at the Athens Hi-End Show !
                                            Που εισαι μωρη τρελλογγα ΣΑΛΛΟΝΙΚΙΑ?????
                                            Of cource .....but i want to be the president......... :rofl: :rofl:

Comment

• aarsoe
                                              • May 2004

Not really related to the original question - and then again maybe..

Since the 802/802D is pretty similar to the 800/800D versions I am wondering how much could be improved by upgrading the crossover to the same component level as in the 800/800D's..

I mean, think of it. The tweeter is the same, the mid range is the same, but still sound better on the 800/800Ds - so have anyone ever done this? And does anyone have both schematics so a comparison of them can be made - along with photo's to see the component differences..

Comment

Working...
                                              😀
                                              😂
                                              🥰
                                              😘
                                              🤢
                                              😎
                                              😞
                                              😡
                                              👍
                                              👎
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"