X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

HTM2D, HTM1D or 802D as centre?

Assuming that your present front end speaker setup was: 802D (front left) - HTM2D (centre) - 802D (front right) and assuming further that the height and space factor was not an issue if you were to have an 802D for the centre, what would the best setup be from an audio quality perspective regarding [staying with the HTM2D], [replacing the HTM2D with an HTM1D] or [replacing the HTM2D with an 802D] and why? Is the horizontal woofer driver alignment of the HTM1D more favourable in terms of sound quality when compared to vertical alignment of the 802D ... or is the HTM1D simply constructed such in order to be of pragmatic benefit to the most users who use centre racks for placement?

My feel is as follows:

Another 802D is a cheaper alternative to the HTM1D. 3 x 802D's as front end should represent a perfect match in terms of height and sound. I'm not sure whether the wider horizontal alignment of the HTM1D woofers (3) would be an issue. The HTM1D's mid & tweet are vertically aligned - same as the 802D.

Your comments and opinions welcomed. Thanks.
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ShadowZA
    My feel is as follows:

Another 802D is a cheaper alternative to the HTM1D. 3 x 802D's as front end should represent a perfect match in terms of height and sound. I'm not sure whether the wider horizontal alignment of the HTM1D woofers (3) would be an issue. The HTM1D's mid & tweet are vertically aligned - same as the 802D.

ShadowZA,

I agree with the 802D idea. For HT purposes, it is perfect. It will completely match your mains, sound the same. A unified wall of sound.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

Steve's right. If you can make another 802D work, that would be the best match. Three identical speakers up front is always the best for a multi channel system.

Eric

Comment

• aarsoe
        • May 2004

Agree - however as I understand the material from B&W the HTM1D is a 802D on its side. So the sound should be 100% identical.
        I would also argue that even if it was stated height was not an issue, that unless you have a dedicated theater with raised seating's, then you would be looking upwards which will get uncomfortable in the long run..

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by aarsoe
          Agree - however as I understand the material from B&W the HTM1D is a 802D on its side.
          More precisely and importantly, it is an 802D with the woofers, only, arranged horizontally.
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Agree - however as I understand the material from B&W the HTM1D is a 802D on its side. So the sound should be 100% identical.
            I would also argue that even if it was stated height was not an issue, that unless you have a dedicated theater with raised seating's, then you would be looking upwards which will get uncomfortable in the long run..
            It is my understanding that the HTM1D has the same crossover as the 800D.

The 802D would be ideal if your screen is high enough that the speaker does not get in the way.
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• boarder1995
              • Sep 2009

Vertical orientation of drivers is preferred if room permits (acoustically transparent screen) as the horizontal configuration is always a compromise. BW does it best with their dedicated centers by arranging some of the drivers in a vertical array. Horizontal arrays deliver horizontal lobing issues and also not as good a horizontal dispersion of sound. I've put my dedicated center (no BW yet) on its end and it sounds better from all seats. If you've got the room to fit an identical center, then try it out.

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Assuming that your present front end speaker setup was: 802D (front left) - HTM2D (centre) - 802D (front right) and assuming further that the height and space factor was not an issue if you were to have an 802D for the centre, what would the best setup be from an audio quality perspective regarding [staying with the HTM2D], [replacing the HTM2D with an HTM1D] or [replacing the HTM2D with an 802D] and why? Is the horizontal woofer driver alignment of the HTM1D more favourable in terms of sound quality when compared to vertical alignment of the 802D ... or is the HTM1D simply constructed such in order to be of pragmatic benefit to the most users who use centre racks for placement?

My feel is as follows:

I currently have three 802D in the center it works beautifully especially with music SACD or Blu Ray. :T
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• ShadowZA
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

I appreciate the advice & opinions. Thanks! :T

I've begun a 4 to 5 month major upgrade plan. Final regarding speakers. I've measured for height & an 802D can just be squeezed in for centre duty. Will probably leave the plastic midrange cover on so as to cause minimal visual distraction whilst watching movies.

Part of the plan is to do a rack change. Even though my present cherrywood rack looks aesthetically pleasing there are 3 scenarios that I'm keen to move away from:

1. It is difficult to gain access to the back of my present rack to check cables, to make cable changes and to get rid of dust. With a vertical rack at the side of the room, access would be easier.

2. A rack as centre piece does have the effect of clogging the soundstage somewhat (for 2-channel listening), unless the front speakers are placed well in front of it.

3. There is insufficient space on my present rack for all the equipment.

This is what initially got me thinking about an 802D to replace the HTM2D.

Here's the final idea for the FRONT END if things work out:

Attached Files

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

needs a second sub...

Comment

• JargonGR
                      • Feb 2009

Guys the HTM1D is NOT exactly the same as the 802D both crossover wise (800D) and woofer wise since it has an extra 802D woofer.

Comment

• sikoniko
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by JargonGR
                        Guys the HTM1D is NOT exactly the same as the 802D both crossover wise (800D) and woofer wise since it has an extra 802D woofer.
                        OK. I guess we'll never know, but I'd argue that the crossover makes a bigger difference than the extra speaker for a center channel.

Comment

• Oddiophile
                          • Jul 2008

Using 3 802Ds across the front is definitely the best option. However, if you are forced to use a centre channel speaker, the HTM1D is a MUCH better match than the HTM2D. I upgraded from the HTM2D to the HTM2D about three months ago and could not believe the improvement when matched to my 802Ds that I have for the front channels.

Jim

Comment

• Oddiophile
                            • Jul 2008

By the way, I like the proposed changes. Moving the rack should help quite a bit--at least that's what I discovered. I also agree with Sikoniko that a second sub would help. Again, I speak from experience.

Jim

Comment

• style
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Feb 2006

Hi Lucien,

like wrote PM the 802 will be great BUT:

space!!! if yuo wish see a movie the plasma isto high (for me)
                              my plasma is at 90cm ca. from the floor and I find it sometime to high....

the Htmd1 forget....
                              cheers Omar

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                needs a second sub...
                                Originally posted by Oddiophile
                                By the way, I like the proposed changes. Moving the rack should help quite a bit--at least that's what I discovered. I also agree with Sikoniko that a second sub would help. Again, I speak from experience.

Jim
                                Thanks. I agree with the second sub scenario. This does not fit into my present plan though ... but it is something that I might consider in the future ... although a monitor upgrade might be looked at before this.

Originally posted by style
                                Hi Lucien,

like wrote PM the 802 will be great BUT:

space!!! if yuo wish see a movie the plasma isto high (for me)
                                my plasma is at 90cm ca. from the floor and I find it sometime to high....

the Htmd1 forget....
                                cheers Omar
                                Omar, this is the exact constraint that I'm working through right now. The plasma bevel height is exactly 111,5cm (44,5 inches) from the floor. It will be a tight squeeze with a very slight overlap for an 802D. The chairs (3 x recliners) have a seating position of 47cm (18,5 inches) from the floor and are 10 feet away. Am used to this and would be able to accommodate say an extra 1 inch increase in plasma height. However, I'm busy dertermining whether this is something that can be lived with.

Comment

• aarsoe
                                  • May 2004

I think you are forgetting the depth of the 802D in your measurements.
                                  I would recommend to cut out a piece of cardboard and place it where the front of the 802D will be - if not using one of your existing speakers as test object. Line of sight dictates that you sitting at a downwards angle will experience the relative height of the speaker as being higher than it actually are.
                                  Hope this makes sense - if not see this hopelessly stick man..
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

I think you are forgetting the depth of the 802D in your measurements.
                                    I would recommend to cut out a piece of cardboard and place it where the front of the 802D will be - if not using one of your existing speakers as test object. Line of sight dictates that you sitting at a downwards angle will experience the relative height of the speaker as being higher than it actually are.
                                    Hope this makes sense - if not see this hopelessly stick man..
                                    This makes perfect sense. Thanks for this. :T

I've reperformed this line-of-sight test a few times using one of the existing 802D's (they're on rollers, which is another characteristic that I like), some string and an extra pair of hands. What I have found is that I can live with the results if the "centre" 802D is moved closer to the wall, slightly out of alignment with the front left and front right. This takes into account the fact that the plasma has not yet been touched (raised an extra inch - something which requires a bit more labor than the line-of-sight test).

Still it's close and further compromises might be considered including raising the recliners by about an inch.

Comment

• boarder1995
                                      • Sep 2009

Another line of sight issue with the 802D might be the glare off the shiny top these units have. Make sure the tweeter or midrange enclosures don't interefere in a dark room at all the various angles. I'd be all for the 802D center as I originally posted, but make sure nothing about it wioll take away from viewing. Enjoy!

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2006

What I have found is that I can live with the results if the "centre" 802D is moved closer to the wall, slightly out of alignment with the front left and front right.
                                        Keep in mind that having the center speaker a bit closer to the wall will probably make it more likely to be equidistant to the listener. The three should be on the perimeter of a circle with the listener at the center.
                                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                                          • Feb 2008

I would vote to stay with the HTM2D and spend the money on other areas like electronics (if you want).

I don't believe the 802D will perform better then the HTM2D for centre duties. The 802D is designed for LR, not C.

The HTM2D is designed specifically as a centre channel, it spreads the sound out wider than the 802D.

Having owned the HTM2D/803D combo before, it is an amazing centre, topped only by the HTM1D, which is completely over the top!
                                          SoundEngine355

-------------------
                                          [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jan 2006

Thank you for your comments. All points made are valid and are being considered. I think that the most significant constraint to me (one that is being seriously considered at this point) is the height factor of the 802D. Yes, it could work ... but ...

I need to NOT build in too many compromises in order to achieve the goal here.

Thanks again. I am hugely thankful for all your comments. Valuable and appreciated. :T

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by SoundEngine355
                                              I don't believe the 802D will perform better then the HTM2D for centre duties. The 802D is designed for LR, not C.

The HTM2D is designed specifically as a centre channel, it spreads the sound out wider than the 802D.
                                              On what basis do you state that the HTM2D "spreads the sound out wider than the 802D?" There is nothing in the design of the HTM2D to suggest this. In fact, if anything, the opposite would be expected.
                                              Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 05 October 2009, 12:57 Monday.
                                              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• boarder1995
                                                • Sep 2009

Spreading the sound out horizontally in an accurate fasion requires a vertical array of speakers, not horizontal. The vertical array will anchor sound better to the location of the sound (center) and give better horizontal dispersion. Center duties are actually as/more difficult in a movie than L & R, so why not use the best there is at reprodicing recorded material - an 802D (or 801 or 800).

This is just my experience while listening to my center in a horizontal configuration, versus standing it up vertically, versus using an identical tower in the center too, all the while moving around the room to different seats and repeating passages, etc. This listening testing was brought about by personal curiosity and a good test done by an online review...

This article discusses performance tradeoffs of vertically vs horizontally mounted drivers in center channel speakers. We show how off-axis lobing can negatively affect performance of horizontal MTMs.

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by SoundEngine355
                                                  I would vote to stay with the HTM2D and spend the money on other areas like electronics (if you want).

Having owned the HTM2D/803D combo before, it is an amazing centre, topped only by the HTM1D, which is completely over the top!
                                                  I disagree. In my system, I have from B&W what could be the best option of speaker matching in regards to using a horizontal center speaker. I have N804 towers all the way around with a N HTM-1 for my center. The N HTM-1 has the exact same driver compliment as the N804s except with the woofers in a horizontal arrangement and the cabinet being sealed instead of ported. I also have the HTM-1 raised so the mid and tweeter are in perfect alignment height wise with the N804 L/R mains.

Even with all of this, I can definitely hear slight differences in sonic character between the center and the mains. This is born out through high res multi channel music and even through the calibration test noise used to adjust level matching on my pre pro.

Shadow, you are definitely doing the right thing. I also have the same setup as you with a plasma mounted at the same height. If I have the chance to do it all over again, I would have a N804 for my center.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ZX10 Guy
                                                    ...Shadow, you are definitely doing the right thing ...
                                                    Thanks. I'm tending towards doing this. I'm ironing out the compromises and have begun to put an upgrade plan together. The whole thing will take some months but I'll keep things posted.

Comment

• ninja12
                                                      • Mar 2007

I have the 802Ds along with a HTM2D for the center. The HTM2D does a very good job as far as blending with the 802Ds. However, I am curious just how well the HTM1D would blend with the 802Ds. I have seen some post that someone said they noticed a difference in the soundstage when they upgraded from the HTM2D to the HTM1D. So, I'm kind of on the fence if I should do it or just leave well enough alone.

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by ninja12
                                                        I have the 802Ds along with a HTM2D for the center. The HTM2D does a very good job as far as blending with the 802Ds. However, I am curious just how well the HTM1D would blend with the 802Ds. I have seen some post that someone said they noticed a difference in the soundstage when they upgraded from the HTM2D to the HTM1D. So, I'm kind of on the fence if I should do it or just leave well enough alone.

About 3 months ago I replaced my HTM2D with an HTM1D and it is a fantastic match for the 802Ds. The HTM1D is MUCH better than the HTM2D in my opinion. However, you would have to judge whether or not the wonderful sound of the HTM1D is worth the considerable extra expense.

You should certainly demo the two if at all possible.

Jim

Comment

• wettou
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • May 2006

802D how much amplification is enough?

200W, 300W, 400W, 600W

If you can swing a 802D as center channel it is the best (three 802D in the front rocks)
                                                          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Jan 2006

Well, I have prepared an upgrade plan. The final major hardware upgrade.

I am going to try to manage this in 4 steps over 5/6 months:

Step 1: Preparation phase: Racks, cabling & additional wall electrical socket fitted to power the Evolution 403 [fitting 4mm cable, conduit, 30A slow curve c/b, switched 32A isolator, isolator plug & separate earth leakage unit].

Step 2: 1 x 802D to replace HTM2D as centre.

Step 3: Krell S-1200 processor to replace Krell Showcase processor.

Step 4: New Krell Evolution 403 Amplifier to power the front end. 2 Channels of KAV-3250 to power the 2 x 803D surrounds. The KAV-2250 will be moved out and either be sold or put to use elsewhere.

Will post as things progress.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Jan 2006

About 3 months ago I replaced my HTM2D with an HTM1D and it is a fantastic match for the 802Ds. The HTM1D is MUCH better than the HTM2D in my opinion. However, you would have to judge whether or not the wonderful sound of the HTM1D is worth the considerable extra expense.

Jim
                                                              The HTM1D is 75% of the cost of a pair of 802D's here. Plus, as horizontal space is a bit of an issue here, I've structured things such that an 802D centre fits best. :T

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                                                                802D how much amplification is enough?

200W, 300W, 400W, 600W

If you can swing a 802D as center channel it is the best (three 802D in the front rocks)
                                                                I think that 802D's can sing beautifully if fed 200W of high current power. Feed them 400W and they'll perform at their best (imho).

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                                  • Jul 2008

Quote:
                                                                  Originally Posted by Oddiophile

Jim

The HTM1D is 75% of the cost of a pair of 802D's here. Plus, as horizontal space is a bit of an issue here, I've structured things such that an 802D centre fits best.

ShadowZA:

I agree entirely that another 802D is the way to go. My comments were in response to Ninja12.

Jim

Comment

• ninja12
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2007

Jim
                                                                    Unfortunately, no dealer has the 802D and HTM1D combination. They have the 802D and HTM2D. However, I did send an e-mail to B&W about the HTM1D and the 802D combination. The response was if I can raise the HTM1D off the floor then it would blend extremely well with the 802Ds. He said leaving the HTM1D on the floor may cause muddiness in the mids and highs.

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2008

Unfortunately, no dealer has the 802D and HTM1D combination. They have the 802D and HTM2D. However, I did send an e-mail to B&W about the HTM1D and the 802D combination. The response was if I can raise the HTM1D off the floor then it would blend extremely well with the 802Ds. He said leaving the HTM1D on the floor may cause muddiness in the mids and highs.

Ninja12,

B&W gave you good advice. I used a riser I had from another project and put a Great Gramma speaker isolation platform on top of that (got it from Sweetwater.com for about $100). The results were excellent. Incidentally, the feet can be adjusted to the correct angle to compensate for being below the listening position.

Too bad you cannot demo the HTM1D. However, very few dealers are able to keep it in stock so I am not surprised at that.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Comment

• RNKC
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jun 2005

I'm a little late to this thread but for what it's worth ...

The pics we see of the professional studios (Abbey Road, Lucasfilm) all have the same 5 speakers for mixing. I recall seeing a pic of Skywalker Sound (Lucasfilm) that used N802 or 802D all around. Abbey Road uses 800D all around I think.

Intuitively the best matching of sound will come from identical speakers anyway so I think the choice to go with the three 802D up front is a good one.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                          • 3389

Originally posted by RNKC
                                                                          The pics we see of the professional studios (Abbey Road, Lucasfilm) all have the same 5 speakers for mixing. I recall seeing a pic of Skywalker Sound (Lucasfilm) that used N802 or 802D all around. Abbey Road uses 800D all around I think. Intuitively the best matching of sound will come from identical speakers anyway so I think the choice to go with the three 802D up front is a good one.
                                                                          YES if you can 802D all the way around,

Now if only I could mount them on the ceiling for my receiver that does Dolby IIZ 9.2 whoa

Comment

• d52232dole
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • May 2009
                                                                            • 34

I have 802Ds for Fronts and HTM2D for center. For the "look & feel", I'm happy with it, especially I have projector screen behind the HTM2 at about 3ft above the ground. I'd also think the B&W designers already took into account the factors the make the centers, why would I have to go with 802D for center.

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2005
                                                                              • 198

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by d52232dole
                                                                              I have 802Ds for Fronts and HTM2D for center. For the "look & feel", I'm happy with it, especially I have projector screen behind the HTM2 at about 3ft above the ground. I'd also think the B&W designers already took into account the factors the make the centers, why would I have to go with 802D for center.
                                                                              Read this article:

This article discusses performance tradeoffs of vertically vs horizontally mounted drivers in center channel speakers. We show how off-axis lobing can negatively affect performance of horizontal MTMs.

The test doesn't have the HTM2D but it does have the N HTM1 which you can extrapolate the results.

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Feb 2008
                                                                                • 313

#40
                                                                                I still believe you are better off with the HTM2D... ...spend the money on that new Krell!!
                                                                                SoundEngine355

-------------------
                                                                                [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• ninja12
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2007
                                                                                  • 181

#41
                                                                                  On B&W's site, they are showing the HTM2D as the suitable centre for the 802Ds. For the 800Ds or the 802Ds, they are showing HTM1D or HTM2D as the suitable centre.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Dec 2008
                                                                                    • 459

#42
                                                                                    I have the 802D's and the HTM2D but i have no idea how it sounds as I've never hooked the center up.And as I'm selling all my 800 series don't have much desire to bother with it.
                                                                                    A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• ninja12
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2007
                                                                                      • 181

#43
                                                                                      On B&W's site, they are showing the HTM2D as the suitable centre for the 802Ds. For the 800Ds or the 802Ds, they are showing HTM1D or HTM2D as the suitable centre.
                                                                                      Correction. I meant to say For the 800Ds or the 801Ds, they are showing HTM1D or the HTM2D as the suitable centre.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jan 2006
                                                                                        • 1098

#44
                                                                                        Well, I have placed my order for the racks, 802D & the Krell S-1200.

I have given a lot of thought to the height constraint posed by an 802D centre. As things are at present, I cannot see myself going the front projection route. There is just too much incoming light in the room plus movies are often watched of an afternoon and late night is used for audio (crazy, I know). If/when the plasma is upgraded it would most likely be to a monitor of 60 inches or greater. I find the present monitor height factor to be suitable.

Another factor to mention is that an intention of mine is to invest in blu-ray discs for their audio rather than their visual properties. You cannot believe how beautiful it is to listen to the blu-ray disc "Chris Botti in Boston" in the dark ... just audio, no plasma visual. I mention this as I do not feel it to be relevant or proper to take anything away from the suitability of using an HTM2D as a centre to two 802D fronts. It might rather be appropriate to consider me greedy for a perfectly (as best as is practically possible) matched audio front end.

I'll post some pics when the gear arrives and is set up. The Evolution 403 will have to wait until early next year.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Dec 2008
                                                                                          • 459

#45
                                                                                          Mmmm...If I may get a little help if possible...My inbox is full and as odd as this sounds...I can't find a delete option?Please help an oldguy out?Anyone?
                                                                                          A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"