X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jack d
    • Sep 2006

Pre Pro: Mac v Meridian

I'm sold on Mac amplification with B&Ws but I am using a Meridian pre-pro in my main set up. I'm planning another system and am considering using a Mac pp. Someone whose opinion I value told me that he did not think the Mac pps could compare to Meridian. Something about less detail and clarity.

Any views?

thanks.
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

plan c. classe ssp-800.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• sunshdw
      • Sep 2008

Plan D . Anthem D2V
      Magnepan,ARC,VTL,Transparent Audio ;x(

"The term "audiophile" means essentially nothing -- it's a self-anointed status that entails no credentials, qualifications or certifications. It means "hobbyist," nothing more, and anyone can lay claim to it. Ironically, I've come to recognize that "audiophiles" represent a group that will believe almost anything"

Comment

• emig5m
        • Aug 2008

I wish I could try something high end like the Classe SSP-800 to see/hear what the difference is over a Yamaha AVR as a pre/pro. The "science" guys on AVS say that today the low end has caught up and that there's measurably no difference and that the main difference in the sound of a system where you should focus your attention on is the speakers/room and that they make up the majority of the sound that you hear. They basically say the measurements are the same, flat over a wide frequency response and with such low distortion it's basically non-existent in what you'll hear from one piece of electronics to the next unless you're talking about something that distorts (colors) the sound like a tube amp.

They say if there's a difference, show some measurements, or at least prove it in a double blind test, etc. and nobody can really prove them wrong? So worrying about Meridian vs Classe vs even say something lower end like Emotiva is all moot? And that as long as every piece is functioning correctly they should all sound the same? Buy for features, or even buy for looks, but they'll all sound the same. I know at the two nearby B&W dealers that I really don't hear anything noticeably better with the same speakers with using up to $18000 in pre and power amps over my Yamaha AVR/Emotiva XPA-5. But this isn't the same room so... I'll hold that judgment until I actually have a high end piece in my own system.

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

They say the world is round and that it revolves around the sun. The nerve of those heretics! Can you believe the nerve of those fools? Btw, last week we proved that flies are born from meat!
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• jericho
            • Dec 2004

BEST PLAN : wait for the new McIntosh MX-150 processor

Comment

• jack d
              • Sep 2006

Yes I considered waiting for the 150 but I'm leaning against that for the following reasons:

1. This will be a secondary system and will start out, at least, as a two channel set up so perhaps overkill to go for the new big boy in town.

2. I don't need processing of all the HD sound formats since I have that already in my main HT system. This is for music only.

3. Don't need HDMI switching for video since I do that with my external video processor and, again, this will be for music only.

4. Not sure the room correction will really be worth it. In general I'm sceptical when it comes to electronic room correction. I've got panels deployed in my main HT and they do wonders. It's true that I will not be able to do extensive deployment of acoustic panels where this new set up with be located so I do have a concern about room correction but will electronic RC really give me what I want/need?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jack d
                4. Not sure the room correction will really be worth it. In general I'm sceptical when it comes to electronic room correction. I've got panels deployed in my main HT and they do wonders. It's true that I will not be able to do extensive deployment of acoustic panels where this new set up with be located so I do have a concern about room correction but will electronic RC really give me what I want/need?
                I cannot answer with certainty since we do not know what the room and its problems are. That requires some detailed descriptions and measurements.
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                  • May 2008

I'm sold on Mac amplification with B&Ws but I am using a Meridian pre-pro in my main set up. I'm planning another system and am considering using a Mac pp. Someone whose opinion I value told me that he did not think the Mac pps could compare to Meridian. Something about less detail and clarity.

Any views?

thanks.
                  I think his opinion of Mac is a dated one, though the only way to know for sure is to test it out. Why not pick up a MX120 used on Agon, try it and see what you think. For the used price you aren't risking much, and you may like it.
                  Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• jack d
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                    I cannot answer with certainty since we do not know what the room and its problems are. That requires some detailed descriptions and measurements.
                    The room dimensions are 43 1/3 ft long by 17 1/2 feet wide. 10 ft ceiling. Floor is ceramic tile, walls are cement. ceiling is wood. I've attached a picture. I will be able to place the L/R speakers fairly far out from fireplace. I might add a center and surrounds but still only for music.

Thanks for any suggestions/comments.

Main View: Speakers will be to either side of the fireplace

View of back with large door

View of side door

Comment

• jack d
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
                      I think his opinion of Mac is a dated one, though the only way to know for sure is to test it out. Why not pick up a MX120 used on Agon, try it and see what you think. For the used price you aren't risking much, and you may like it.
                      Yes I'm considering such a purchase but from AudioClassics. Just trying to make as an informed a decision as possible before I start the process. Hope to minimize returns and false starts.
                      Last edited by jack d; 03 October 2009, 16:57 Saturday.

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                        • May 2008

I've heard nothing but good things about AudioClassics...
                        Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• jack d
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
                          I've heard nothing but good things about AudioClassics...
                          Yes and I've had nothing but good experience with them.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2006

The room dimensions are 43 1/3 ft long by 17 1/2 feet wide. 10 ft ceiling. Floor is ceramic tile, walls are cement. ceiling is wood. I've attached a picture. I will be able to place the L/R speakers fairly far out from fireplace. I might add a center and surrounds but still only for music.

Thanks for any suggestions/comments.
                            That is a big but hard room. Unless you fill it with lots of absorbent furniture and acoustic treatments, I would say that good digital EQ will be a necessity.
                            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• jack d
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                              That is a big but hard room. Unless you fill it with lots of absorbent furniture and acoustic treatments, I would say that good digital EQ will be a necessity.
                              I agree about the room. My doubts have to do with digital EQ. I feel that with Meridian MRC in my main room now, it only deadens the sound. It's not a fair evaluation because my current room is pretty well treated with acoustic panels so maybe MRC shouldn't be expected to improve much. It's my only real experience with digital room correction so not fair to draw a conclusion in general about electronic room correction. You think lygndorf/now Mcintosh room correction would really make an improvement without making the sound seem lifeless?

Comment

• jack d
                                • Sep 2006

I was looking more closely at the Lyngdorf RP-1 room correction processor. It seems that it requires an additional ADA conversion and also it is only two channel. I guess the advantage of the new MX150 Mc processor is that somehow they have built in the Lyngdorf algorithms but avoided the additional DA conversion.

I think there are some good deals on Meridian G68s which have MRC but MRC only works on lower frequencies. I suppose another advantage to the MX150 would be that the Lyngdorf processing works on higher frequencies as well. Views?

The big advantage to the Meridian in my mind is the proprietary DSPs. In particular, the trifield DSP is excellent at turning two-channel into multi-channel. I think this is an area where the Mac processors cannot compete.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2006

I agree about the room. My doubts have to do with digital EQ.
                                  Well, every room EQ I know of can be turned off/bypassed if the user does not want it.

I feel that with Meridian MRC in my main room now, it only deadens the sound. It's not a fair evaluation because my current room is pretty well treated with acoustic panels so maybe MRC shouldn't be expected to improve much. It's my only real experience with digital room correction so not fair to draw a conclusion in general about electronic room correction.
                                  Strange. MRC only works from 250Hz down so I wonder how it can do that.

You think lygndorf/now Mcintosh room correction would really make an improvement without making the sound seem lifeless?
                                  Dunno until I try it.
                                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• jack d
                                    • Sep 2006

FWIW: I decided to go with another Meridian. I got a terrific deal on a new G68 which was hard to turn down. In the end what decided it (other than the deal on the G68 ) was Meridian's proprietary DSPs. Macs are vanilla-flavored off the shelf. That and the fact that the new Mx150 is an unknown quantity whose release date is uncertain. The Meridian will provide room correction at lower frequencies. I'll have to find a way to deal with problems at the higher frequencies with physical room treatments.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2006

FWIW: I decided to go with another Meridian. I got a terrific deal on a new G68 which was hard to turn down. In the end what decided it (other than the deal on the G68 ) was Meridian's proprietary DSPs. Macs are vanilla-flavored off the shelf. That and the fact that the new Mx150 is an unknown quantity whose release date is uncertain. The Meridian will provide room correction at lower frequencies. I'll have to find a way to deal with problems at the higher frequencies with physical room treatments.

As the sommelier almost always says: "Excellent choice, sir!"
                                      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• jericho
                                        • Dec 2004

BTW release of the MX-150 is october!!!

Take a look at this :

Comment

• jack d
                                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jericho
                                          BTW release of the MX-150 is october!!!

Take a look at this :

http://audioaficionado.org/mcintosh-...uncements.html

I hope it turns out to be a worthy product but I've already made my (short-term) decision. Will be interesting to see when it really gets to market and what it can do. Why Mac has not provided detailed information and distributed a few to select dealers is beyond me.

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                            • Jul 2008

Jack,

I think you have made an excellent decision. The Meridian will correct many of the low frequency problems that are hard to fix with bass traps and other physical treatments that often have to be very intrusive to be effective. The high frequencies can be tamed relatively easily with natural room furnishings supplemented by some acoustic panels.

Best of luck!

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                            😀
                                            😂
                                            🥰
                                            😘
                                            🤢
                                            😎
                                            😞
                                            😡
                                            👍
                                            👎
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"