Any B&W 801 series 80/series 1-3 experts????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ac81017
    • Aug 2006

Any B&W 801 series 80/series 1-3 experts????

I´ve found an old pair of B&W 801, but I´m not sure which series they are, on the photos they DON´T have the kevlar/honeycone midrange, but they are the original midrange drivers? I can have them for next to nothing!! They look like series 80 but with black coat paper midrange driver??? HELP??? I´ve googled for photos such as matrix series 1-2-3 and series 80! Does anyone know what which these speakers are??

Cheers
    William :T
    Last edited by ac81017; 03 October 2009, 13:11 Saturday.
  • vinylmeister
    • Sep 2009

Can you post some photos?
    Marantz SA-11S2 -> Cardas Golden Presence -> Classe CP-500 -> Cardas Quadlink -> CA-2200 -> Cardas Quadlink -> B&W 802d

Comment

• ac81017
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by vinylmeister
      Can you post some photos?

The photos are not on the net, they were taken on a mobile phone and emailed to me! I don´t know how to upload photos on to this thread?? Do you know how?? I tried to upload as profile photo, that didn´t work, i´ll try agian! I need to if I should buy these latest sunday!

Comment

• ac81017
        • Aug 2006

The speaker look like the B&W 801 series 80 with the overload protection on the front top right side, it´s just the midranges that i don´t understand! Maybe they are the very very first with black coated paper midrange! ??????

Comment

• olilugo
          • Aug 2009

hi ac81017, let me try to help you upload pictures.
          click on the post reply button. add some comments, scroll down the page and look for manage attachments, click on it, add your pictures...

Comment

• ac81017
            • Aug 2006

I know the pic quailty is poor but that´s all i got! The guy who owns them said that they are the very first model??? I thought ALL 800 series even the very early one had kevlar midrange????
            Attached Files

Comment

• ac81017
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by olilugo
              hi ac81017, let me try to help you upload pictures.
              click on the post reply button. add some comments, scroll down the page and look for manage attachments, click on it, add your pictures...

Thank you so much!! :T

Comment

• aarsoe
                • May 2004

Not sure but they look like something that was called the 801 series F - but I would check with B&W to be sure.
                One word of advice should you decide to purchase them. Remove the protection circuit. It sounds horrible with it...

Comment

• Jovl
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by ac81017
                  I know the pic quailty is poor but that´s all i got! The guy who owns them said that they are the very first model??? I thought ALL 800 series even the very early one had kevlar midrange????

I think it is the B&W801F..........

Gr Jovl
                  My setup : http://forum.puresound.be/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25
                  Sorry for my English ops:

Comment

• tanwn
                    • Jul 2004

it is the 801F without the front port. I suspect due to age or wear and tear to the midrange rubber surround, the kevlar midrange could have been replaced with something else. I would not buy it if i were you unless i can get it replace with original B&W midrange. Who knows whether internally anything has been changed. But if the price is so low then you may have nothing to lose.

Comment

• aarsoe
                      • May 2004

Sorry, but the first 801's where done without kevlar cones. So even if they are black - they are still the original ones. Also the 801 Series 80 and F where closed designs and not open ones as the later series 2 and 3.

Comment

• ac81017
                        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by aarsoe
                        Sorry, but the first 801's where done without kevlar cones. So even if they are black - they are still the original ones. Also the 801 Series 80 and F where closed designs and not open ones as the later series 2 and 3.
                        Any idea what the differnce is sound wise between series 80 and F?? I can get those speakers on photo for around $1100!!

Comment

• aarsoe
                          • May 2004

Well, it depends. There where more than one series 80 and the same goes for series F.

In general I would say that if you can live with the design and are willing to tweak a bit, then you can get really great sound out of them.

But expect that the internal cables have been oxidizing for at least 20-25 years and will require a change. The crossover will use capacitors that for sure don´t have the same value anymore as they have dried up - but fix that + maybe spend a little more on better crossover components and you´re in business.

Comment

• ac81017
                            • Aug 2006

Well, it depends. There where more than one series 80 and the same goes for series F.

In general I would say that if you can live with the design and are willing to tweak a bit, then you can get really great sound out of them.

But expect that the internal cables have been oxidizing for at least 20-25 years and will require a change. The crossover will use capacitors that for sure don´t have the same value anymore as they have dried up - but fix that + maybe spend a little more on better crossover components and you´re in business.
                            Ha i just noticed that du kommer fra Danmark! Sådan! I lived there for 10 years, KBH and Silkeborg. I´m always checking DBA.dk for cheap B&W! To bad the swedish kr is so weak!! Thanks for the advice! I don´t suppose you know anyone who has a piar of 801s for sale?? I would like 803D but i have to save my money!

Comment

• mucke
                              • Jul 2005

Not sure but they look like something that was called the 801 series F - but I would check with B&W to be sure.
                              One word of advice should you decide to purchase them. Remove the protection circuit. It sounds horrible with it...
                              How do you remove the protection circut ?
                              I have a 801 serie 80.

Thanks

Comment

• mucke
                                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ac81017
                                Ha i just noticed that du kommer fra Danmark! Sådan! I lived there for 10 years, KBH and Silkeborg. I´m always checking DBA.dk for cheap B&W! To bad the swedish kr is so weak!! Thanks for the advice! I don´t suppose you know anyone who has a piar of 801s for sale?? I would like 803D but i have to save my money!
                                Jag har skickat pm till dig.

Comment

• aarsoe
                                  • May 2004

Basically trace the wires from the front to the circuit board and the cut them off and ensure they are connected there instead of through the protection circuit.
                                  Hope that makes sense - if not PM me and I will try to explain over the phone..

Comment

• aarsoe
                                    • May 2004

Try again as I have not received in my in box..

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"