X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sfdoddsy
    • Sep 2000

Calculating lowest room mode

Today's task is to help me with remedial room acoustics 101. I think I understand how to calculate the lowest room mode for a rectangular room - multiply the longest dimension by 2, then divide the speed of sound by that.

Does this still apply with a non rectangular room?

Here, for example, is my current apartment:

It is trapedzoidal, with concrete floors and brick outside (the diagonal) wall.

In the main living area, the maximum dimension is the width, although that is broken up by an open kitchen I haven't drawn.

Next longest is the diagonal wall.

Or do I take the dimension straight down the hall to the front wall?

TIA

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
    Steve's OB Journey
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

As I said over on the Mad board, why not just stick a sub in a corner and measure the modes with TrueRTA? Beats a buncha theory. :LOL:

Comment

• Bruce
      • Aug 2000

Steve,

The only way your current calculation method will give good results is if you use it on the dimensions between only those walls that are parallel with each other. i.e. the 5.2m distance between the parallel 7.7m wall and the 4.4m wall, and the distance from the floor to the ceiling (if the ceiling is flat).

Your diagonal wall will not produce accurate results between it and the 5.2m wall with your current formula.

Yes, I also agree a PC software measurement system would be your best bet.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"