X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Julian Data
    • Nov 2000

Test #2 with Dual MASS Drivers

Well, I had time today to test out these MASS drivers in the same enclosure that I had the Shiva Mk 1.5s installed. Playing with LspCAD Lite, the Fb tuning was very close to the Shivas since MASS takes up a bit more driver volume. So I left the ports like they are, which should give a good comparison of the drivers.

These drivers were delivered earlier this week and my first impressions with these drivers are they are heavy, 25 +lbs or so!

Installing these drivers wasn't going to be easy since the enclosure weighed in excess of 75lbs! I decided that it would be best to remove the bottom driver first (do the hard things first!). Let me tell you something this wasn't a fun chore at all since I and a friend had to lay the tube down. But after several minutes, I got it installed. Next was the top driver, which wasn't difficult as all I had to do was put the tube upright and take out the Shiva and then pop in the other driver. Voila! Drivers are switched!

Running the same tests as before 2m distance and recording 10%THD here are the results:

As you can see from the results that the MASS has a bit more oomph down low versus the Shiva. Again, just like the Shiva, the dual MASS setup is 17Hz flat in my room.

How does the MASS sound compared to the Shiva?

Well, when playing DVDs with low Frequencies, 25hz, the MASS is a bit robust down there especially at a lower volume setting versus the Shiva at a higher one. So you could watch movies at a lower volume if you wanted though if you wanted some great LFE/infrasonice action. Although Shiva isn't bad down there either!

When playing music the MASS is on par with the Shiva.

Conclusion

After conducting these tests, I would have to say this for anyone planning on doing a DIY sub with 12" driver(s), it's all dependant on how loud/low you want listen and how much you want to spend.

Looking at the MAX SPL as a reference and doing a cost per dollar with this size enclosure and its in-room performance, you get:

Shiva: $115 each = $1.86/dB
    MASS: $299 each = $4.86/dB

As you can see the MASS is more than 2.5 times the in the cost/performance ratio of giving up to five more dB at less than 25Hz. Could it be cost prohibited for you? Remember I am focusing on two drivers not one in this case. If you wanted that 5dB of gain, it could be worth about $119.60/dB, in which you could get another Shiva for that price. Just something to think about.

But if you want balls to the wall for that 5dB gain down low, then the MASS is certainly for you.

As for me, I am very much impressed with the MASS just like I was with the Shiva. So now that I have four 12s (hmm... shall I find another 12 to tryout?), I am going to put the Shiva back in my first DIY sub (196.1l) and leave the MASS in yet tune for 17. Then the blending into the system for both subs begins!I just hope I can find some fliters (HP for the 196.1l and LP for the 347l) so I can do this.

BTW, I have two PRO amps here, QSC RMX2450 and a Crown K2, that my brother n law (ex DJ) sent me to tryout (Thank God he still has the sources!) I still haven't tried them yet for testing as I don't have a SPL or proper mic to test past 125dB. Once I have tested them out and figure out which one I want, I'll of course, have to pay for one of them.

Decisions!

Julian
    Julian Data
    COO of Blackhole Motorsports
    http://www.bhmotorsports.com
    Revamped DIY www site coming soon!
Working...
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍
👎
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"